• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Get a sub-domain!

Started by FTL_Ian, December 21, 2004, 04:22 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

As I had suggested on the FSP forum, this forum needs it's own sub-domain, as the existing URL is too long.

Like:

forum.soulawakenings.com
bbs.soulawakenings.com

If you don't know how to do it, head on over to http://zoneedit.com ... it's free domain management for up to 5 domains.

Regards,
Ian

Russell Kanning

Thanks Ian...but hey you found us ;)

FTL_Ian

I suppose if you'd like to keep this forum "underground" then a sub-domain would work against that concept.  However if you ever want to tell someone the location, it certainly helps.

Regards,
Ian

FTL_Ian

If you need any help, let me know.  It's so simple tho... register, and repoint your DNS to the ones zoneedit gives you.  Once that process is done, you can create forum.soulawakenings.com and have it point to the longform address, or directly to the IP.

There are many other cool things that zoneedit allows, such as email forwarding...

For instance, ian@freetalklive.com is not an email address at all, but a forward to my actual address.  Zoneedit does not appear to limit the amount of forwards per zone.
So you could have:
kat@soulawakenings.com
bookishlass@soulawakenings.com
admin@soulawakenings.com
and they could all point to one real address, or 3 different addresses.   Anyway, I don't make a commission on this or anything, so I'll let you discover the rest.

Regards,
Ian

Kat Kanning

I seem to be able to create a subdomain on here already.  Would some ultra-geek be willing to help?  I don't particularly want to screw it up.  Here were the instructions:

FORMAT
The SOA and NS records for your domain name are generated automatically.

Only records in the following formats are allowed:

subdomain IN A ip
subdomain IN MX n fqdn
subdomain IN NS fqdn
subdomain IN CNAME fqdn
subdomain IN TXT "string"

Blank lines are allowed. Lines may be commented out by using the ; (semicolon) character at the start of the line.

Incoming mail service for your domain on the server your account is on is enabled by the presence of an MX record referencing the server by domain name or by the variable <server>.

KEY
subdomain can be:

* blank
    * a subdomain (such as "www" or "mail").
    * a fully qualified subdomain in the current domain ending with a period.
    * * (the wildcard character).

fqdn can be:

* a fully qualified domain name ending with a period.
    * @ (the current origin character).
    * the variable <server> which is replaced by the domain name of the server which your virtual host is on.

ip is an IP address (such as 10.25.32.41) or the variable <ip> which is replaced by your virtual host's IP address.

n is an integer weight.

string is a character string.

Lloyd Danforth

FTL_Ian

Too much for me.  I can help with zoneedit, they make it easy.

Regards,
Ian

Kat Kanning

OK right now forum.soulawakenings.com and underground.soulawakenings.com both will get you to the wiki.  It's not very elegant, but at least you can give out an easier address.

Viscid

The most common and probably best way would probably be to add something like this to your .htaccess file.

RewriteEngine On
Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} forum.soulawakenings.com
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !underground/forum/
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ underground/forum/$1 [L]

Kat Kanning

Dude, one hug for you when you get to the Free State!  Thanks!

I did calendar.soulawakenings.com also...going directly to the calendar.

FTL_Ian