• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I owe the city $1500/month

Started by Quantrill, June 11, 2007, 04:11 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Quote from: Quantrill on June 12, 2007, 08:02 PM NHFT
Rosie - Do you think that would change anything?
Calling the mayor can't hurt.

I think the most straightforward way may be to get your truck classified as personal. It's not like your driving a Terex Titan, right?  Again, the City Clerk's office may be better than your Alderman (who should really be called to the mat, BTW). Ask them nicely how the formal designation is made between commercial and personal vehicles, and if there is any dual-use classification.

Rosie the Riveter

Rosie - Do you think that would change anything?  To get a law changed the Alderman plus the Mayor vote on it, is that right? 

Can't hurt -- since yes I think the Mayor and Alderman would vote on it. I'm not promising anything but the mayor and his staff have been known to be responsive to citizens with "concerns" and someone in his office may have a work around suggestion.

Dreepa

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on June 12, 2007, 08:35 PM NHFT
Rosie - Do you think that would change anything?  To get a law changed the Alderman plus the Mayor vote on it, is that right? 

Can't hurt -- since yes I think the Mayor and Alderman would vote on it. I'm not promising anything but the mayor and his staff have been known to be responsive to citizens with "concerns" and someone in his office may have a work around suggestion.

and then come the protests.
Maybe ask the mayor for help.... there is an election coming up... he probably wants all the help he can get.

lildog

There's a simple solution to all of this... since you can't park on the street from 12 to 5 AM simply change your work hours to 12 to 5 AM.   ;D

Actually that would be funny if you're in the service field... people call to make an appointment with you and you say you're available any time from 12 to 5 AM.  They ask why and you inform them that the city wont let you park by your apartment during those hours so your forced to drive around at night and sleep during day hours.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Dreepa on June 13, 2007, 09:24 AM NHFT
Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on June 12, 2007, 08:35 PM NHFT

and then come the protests.
Maybe ask the mayor for help.... there is an election coming up... he probably wants all the help he can get.

;D  It can be very effective to approach a Politician during an election cycle....especially one, like Guinta, that really wants to win...

Tell him at night you'll put Guinta for Mayor magnets on the sides of your truck  ;)

MaineShark

Does the van actually have "commercial" plates on it?

Most companies I've worked for just used regular passenger plates on things like service vans.

Joe

Quantrill

Quote from: MaineShark on June 13, 2007, 03:56 PM NHFT

Most companies I've worked for just used regular passenger plates on things like service vans.

Joe

Do  commercial plates here actually say "commercial" on them?

Problem is, the city statute basically says any vehicle that is primarily used for business instead of personal.  Size apparently doesn't matter...

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Quantrill on June 13, 2007, 04:19 PM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on June 13, 2007, 03:56 PM NHFT

Joe

Do  commercial plates here actually say "commercial" on them?

Problem is, the city statute basically says any vehicle that is primarily used for business instead of personal.  Size apparently doesn't matter...

Just go with the "Guinta for Mayor" signs and see what happens.....  ;D

MaineShark

Quote from: Quantrill on June 13, 2007, 04:19 PM NHFTDo  commercial plates here actually say "commercial" on them?

If they're commercial plates, they'll say so.  If they aren't, just wave the registration under their noses.  If it says "passenger car," then it isn't a "commercial vehicle," by their own rules.

Joe

Fluff and Stuff

Can't you just cover it up with a big car cover?  Or just put big magnets with political messages over any of the work type info that is shown? 

Spencer

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on June 13, 2007, 10:03 PM NHFT
Can't you just cover it up with a big car cover?  Or just put big magnets with political messages over any of the work type info that is shown? 

Yeah, like fuck city ordinances.

KBCraig

Quote from: Spencer on June 13, 2007, 10:23 PM NHFT

Yeah, like fuck city ordinances.

+1 to Spencer.  >:D

Ogre

On ยง 70.28 COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICULAR AND TRUCK TRAFFIC PROHIBITED DURING
CERTAIN HOURS -- it does say "designated by regulation of the Committee on Traffic and Public Safety."

So while they do have the power to ban your driving your vehicle on roads at night, that's only on road that are specifically designated as such.  There may not be any roads that are designated that way, I know government likes to have lots of power "just in case" they decide they want to do something.

As for the commercial designation, indeed, I think some members here may be closing in on the solution.  I'm not in New Hampshire (yet, I'm coming, dammit), but what, exactly determines whether a vehicle is a "commercial" vehicle?  Is it the registration?  Is it a physical description?  Is it a percent usage?  Perhaps if you can find out that determination, you can find a loophole that will allow you declare that the vehicle isn't commercial.

error

I've seen plenty of areas around here with that designation; they all have signage. As far as I can tell, it's completely arbitrary.

Quantrill

QuoteCOMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE. A vehicle designed or used to transport passengers or property
if:
(1) The vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of
26,001 or more pounds; or
(2) The vehicle is designed to transport more than 15 passengers including the driver; or
(3) The vehicle is of any size and is used in the transportation of materials found to be
hazardous pursuant to R.S.A. 259:12-3(c); or
(4) The vehicle is used primarily for business and industry as contrasted with pleasure
vehicles.

(5) Exclusion. COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE shall not include a city vehicle, or
emergency vehicles engaged in the provision of emergency medical, Police or Fire services.

It doesn't say that covering it up would change the status, since the vehicle is primarily used for business as contrasted with pleasure.  Good idea though.  I wonder if I covered up the truck what would they do then?  They could tell by the plates it's a work truck.  And if I covered up the plates I'm sure there's some silly-ass rule against that as well...