• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Is it possible to drive to Delaware (eastern shore) without driving on any major

Started by Raineyrocks, June 14, 2007, 06:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

highways? 

I have Amtrak reservations but I could cancel them if there is a real mellow, no traffic or highways way to get there.  I will get killed on any  highways like NJ turnpike, Garden State Parkway, I-95,  I-93 after exit 14, I-495, I-90, I-84, I-91, I-287.  I'm looking for a way around all of those highways and I don't care how many extra hours or miles I have to go out of my way to avoid the highways above.
No airplanes, I just have a feeling that might be someone's first thought.

I can't drive on highways because my knees shake and I get dizzy and I don't want to pass out.  It's gotten a lot worse since my car accident.
I know it's a long shot asking this because there probably is no way to get there without any highways but it never hurts to ask anyway. :D

MaineShark

Punch your starting and ending address into Mapquest, then get the directions.  Once it displays the page with the directions, there should be a box that says "advanced options" on the right, and one of the boxes is "avoid highways."  That will typically do it.  One of the other options is "avoid seasonally closed roads," which can come in useful up here.

Joe

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on June 14, 2007, 06:44 PM NHFT
Punch your starting and ending address into Mapquest, then get the directions.  Once it displays the page with the directions, there should be a box that says "advanced options" on the right, and one of the boxes is "avoid highways."  That will typically do it.  One of the other options is "avoid seasonally closed roads," which can come in useful up here.

Joe
I did that and the box for avoid highways wouldn't let me check it but I did check "avoid seasonally closed roads and here's what came up:

5:     Merge onto I-89 N toward LEBANON / WHITE RIVER JCT. VT..     8.3 miles     Map
   6:    Take the US-202 W / RT-9 W exit- EXIT 5- on the LEFT toward HENNIKER / KEENE.    0.4 miles    Map
   7:    Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto US-202 / NH-9. Continue to follow NH-9.    41.4 miles    Map
   8:    Take the RT-12 S / RT-10 S / RT-9 W ramp.    0.4 miles    Map
   9:    Merge onto NH-10 / NH-12 / NH-9 / FRANKLIN PIERCE HWY.    1.1 miles    Map
   10:    Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto NH-9 / FRANKLIN PIERCE HWY. Continue to follow NH-9 (Crossing into VERMONT).    14.6 miles    Map
   11:    Enter next roundabout and take 2nd exit onto CHESTERFIELD RD.    <0.1 miles    Map
   12:    Merge onto I-91 S toward US-5 S / VT-9 W (Passing through MASSACHUSETTS- then crossing into CONNECTICUT).    105.3 miles    Map
   13:    Merge onto CT-15 S via EXIT 17 (Crossing into NEW YORK).    64.8 miles    Map
   14:    CT-15 S becomes HUTCHINSON RIVER PKWY S.    10.6 miles    Map
   15:    Keep LEFT to take CROSS COUNTY PKWY W via EXIT 15 toward GEORGE WASHINGTON BR.    2.6 miles    Map
   16:    Take EXIT 5-4N-S toward I-87 / CENTRAL AVE / THRUWAY.    0.8 miles    Map
   17:    Take EXIT 4S toward I-87 S / CENTRAL AVE / THRUWAY.    0.2 miles    Map
   18:    Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto CENTRAL PARK AVE.    0.5 miles    Map
   19:    Merge onto I-87 S via the ramp on the LEFT.    6.6 miles    Map
   20:    Take the I-95 / US-1 exit- EXIT 7N-S- toward CROSS BRONX EXPWY / NEW HAVEN / TRENTON.    0.2 miles    Map
   21:    Merge onto I-95 S / US-1 S / CROSS BRONX EXPY via EXIT 7S on the LEFT toward G WASHINGTON BR / TRENTON.    0.4 miles    Map
   22:    Keep RIGHT to take I-95 S toward G W BRIDGE / LOWER LEVEL / LAST NY EXIT (Crossing into NEW JERSEY).    2.5 miles    Map
   23:    Keep LEFT to take I-95 EXPRESS LN S / NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE S toward I-80 / GARDEN STATE PARKWAY / PATERSON.    2.5 miles    Map
   24:    Take the I-80 W exit- EXIT 69- on the LEFT toward GARDEN STATE PARKWAY / PATERSON.    0.8 miles    Map
   25:    Merge onto I-80 EXPRESS LN W.    3.2 miles    Map
   26:    I-80 EXPRESS LN W becomes I-80 W.    18.3 miles    Map
   27:    Keep RIGHT to take I-80 W via EXIT 43 toward I-287 / MORRISTOWN / US-46 / MAHWAH.    1.7 miles    Map
   28:    Merge onto I-287 S via EXIT 43A toward MORRISTOWN.    22.2 miles    Map
   29:    Keep RIGHT to take I-287 S toward PERTH AMBOY.    2.7 miles    Map
   30:    Merge onto US-202 S via EXIT 17 toward US-22 W / SOMERVILLE / FLEMINGTON.    14.8 miles    Map
   31:    Enter next roundabout and take 2nd exit onto US-202 S / NJ-31 S.    5.8 miles    Map
   32:    Take the RT-31 S ramp toward TRENTON.    0.1 miles    Map
   33:    Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto NJ-31 / CR-579. Continue to follow NJ-31 S.    10.1 miles    Map
   34:    Enter next roundabout and take 1st exit onto PENNINGTON RD / NJ-31 S.    1.2 miles    Map
   35:    Merge onto I-95 S toward PENNSYLVANIA (Crossing into PENNSYLVANIA).    55.5 miles    Map
   36:    Merge onto I-495 S via EXIT 11 toward PORT OF WILMINGTON / BALTIMORE (Crossing into DELAWARE).    11.6 miles    Map
   37:    I-495 S becomes I-95 S.    3.8 miles    Map
   38:    Merge onto DE-1 S via EXIT 4A toward CHRISTIANA / MALL ROAD.

error

If you hate major highways, then that drive will get you lost and then kill you.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: error on June 14, 2007, 07:23 PM NHFT
The answer is probably no.

That's what I'm thinking too.  Do you know if trains have the same amount of "checking in"  securities as airplanes?  I have mace and a knife in my pocketbook.  I have loads of stuff to bring with me too so that's going to be a pain because they have baggage and weight limitations.  It would be so much cheaper if I just drove but I know I'll end up getting in an accident, there's just no doubt.  My fear will cause me to brake over every little thing, I'm afraid of switching lanes and I'd have to do that and I get really dizzy if someone especially a big truck is up my butt and I'm afraid of passing out while driving.

Oh well, Amtrak here I come, I guess. :) 

error

I don't know. I refuse to take Amtrak because it's overpriced for crappy (government) service.

If it were me I wouldn't think anything of driving busy highways for hours on end. But, uh, I don't want to go to Delaware. Maybe you can find a driver? :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: error on June 14, 2007, 07:40 PM NHFT
I don't know. I refuse to take Amtrak because it's overpriced for crappy (government) service.

If it were me I wouldn't think anything of driving busy highways for hours on end. But, uh, I don't want to go to Delaware. Maybe you can find a driver? :)

That would be great as long as I knew them and how they drove.  But who in the world besides me wants to go to Girdletree Maryland? :-\

Dreepa

Rainey it can be done but it will take longer.
I once road my bicycle from Boston to Washington DC and I was never on a highway.  And of course you can get from DC to  the Eastern Shore.
Ok here goes:
Take Rte 3 south.
When you get to Concord take 89 N to exit 5
Follow Rte 202 thru MA, CT, NY, NJ, PA
Rte 202 to rte  13 S
Rte 13 takes you down 'there'.

This does include a little highway driving. (89N is 7 miles and empty).
It has a few miles in NY and NJ... I was on my bike and just rode on surface streets parallel to the highway.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Dreepa on June 14, 2007, 08:30 PM NHFT
Rainey it can be done but it will take longer.
I once road my bicycle from Boston to Washington DC and I was never on a highway.  And of course you can get from DC to  the Eastern Shore.
Ok here goes:
Take Rte 3 south.
When you get to Concord take 89 N to exit 5
Follow Rte 202 thru MA, CT, NY, NJ, PA
Rte 202 to rte  13 S
Rte 13 takes you down 'there'.

This does include a little highway driving. (89N is 7 miles and empty).
It has a few miles in NY and NJ... I was on my bike and just rode on surface streets parallel to the highway.

That's not a bad route Dreepa + for you!  Rick said 202 has gotten pretty congested in certain areas and some bad accidents have happened there, he doesn't think I'll make it that way.  I just found out thanks to Rick that the Amtrak train I got tickets for doesn't have any baggage compartments.  It's all carry on and small stuff.  Can you imagine 3 girls with only carry on luggage for 5 weeks? 
We went to my dentist in Gorham today and I almost got us killed. ::) 

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on June 14, 2007, 06:44 PM NHFT

Joe

What the heck Joe, your karma was almost to 0 finally now it was -5 until I gave you one! :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: lawofattraction on June 14, 2007, 09:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on June 14, 2007, 08:07 PM NHFTBut who in the world besides me wants to go to Girdletree Maryland? :-\

Believe it or not, I've been in Girdletree quite a few times!

No way! :o  Please tell me how, why?   Did you like it?

KBCraig

Quote from: raineyrocks on June 15, 2007, 02:03 PM NHFT
What the heck Joe, your karma was almost to 0 finally now it was -5 until I gave you one! :)

I had managed to get him all the way up to +3 yesterday, but the smiter was up late last night.

Someone, for some unknown reason, wants Joe's karma to be exactly -5, and will keep smiting him every hour until they get there. When I'm around and applaud him every hour, we play ping-pong. Sometimes I'm online and the smiter isn't, and I manage to get ahead. Then when I'm away from the keyboard, back down he goes.

Over the last two weeks I've applauded Maineshark over 120 times, and he still is stuck at -5 if I turn my back.

:-\

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on June 15, 2007, 04:42 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on June 15, 2007, 02:03 PM NHFT

I had managed to get him all the way up to +3 yesterday, but the smiter was up late last night.

Someone, for some unknown reason, wants Joe's karma to be exactly -5, and will keep smiting him every hour until they get there. When I'm around and applaud him every hour, we play ping-pong. Sometimes I'm online and the smiter isn't, and I manage to get ahead. Then when I'm away from the keyboard, back down he goes.

Over the last two weeks I've applauded Maineshark over 120 times, and he still is stuck at -5 if I turn my back.

:-\

That's weird! :-\  I wonder who the heck it is and why?  That's nice of you to do too! :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: lawofattraction on June 15, 2007, 04:20 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on June 15, 2007, 02:04 PM NHFT
Quote from: lawofattraction on June 14, 2007, 09:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on June 14, 2007, 08:07 PM NHFTBut who in the world besides me wants to go to Girdletree Maryland? :-\

Believe it or not, I've been in Girdletree quite a few times!

No way! :o  Please tell me how, why?   Did you like it?

I lived near there as a kid. I haven't been back in decades. At the time, it was nice (if you like rural, nothing going on kind of places, which I do!). I always found the name amusing, thinking of a woman's girdle on a tree. ;D

Almost anyone I've placed an order with over the phone laughed at the name too. :)  I was wondering if you were around there when I was but it doesn't sound like it.  Nothing going on has changed a little bit now, because believe it or not I found out some people were/are selling drugs around there.

When we moved there 9 years ago, 2 years in Snow Hill before that, it livened up the neighborhood quite a bit. Five new kids in a neighborhood will do it believe me! ::)  Do you remember all the gossiping around that place?  Gosh it seemed everybody knew or thought they did everybody's business. That used to get on my nerves real bad.  I would just tell people I don't want to hear it, if so and so wants me to know let them tell me.