• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Need help buying a gun...how do I do it?

Started by RattyDog, July 25, 2007, 10:11 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

RattyDog

Hey Rebels! I was wondering if anyone could help me out...I am interested in the following:

1. Learning what I need to do to purchase a gun, is there somewhere I can go to see what I have to do legally or does someone here know? What sort of paperwork do I fill out and where do I get it?

2. Finding a good place to go to shoot a gun and practice and find a gun that would be a good fit for me. I haven't shot since I was a little kid and whatever that gun was, it was a huge and clunky revolver, something I wouldn't be interested in having!

3. Learning what a girl has to do to get a carry/conceal license...I just want to check this out, not sure if I want a license to carry...but who knows.

Is there a place on line where all of this information is gathered? I'm just not sure how to go about purchasing a firearm. Also, any ladies who have their own firearms...do you have any suggestions on a good gun to use for personal protection? In four years I haven't gone to bed scared because my boyfriend has been there...last weekend he went away for an overnight in VT and I was scared to death. I need something that is easy to use and a good "starter gun" to learn how to shoot well with. I don't have small hands...but I do have lady hands...any suggestions on a good model to check out?

Thank you.

Lloyd Danforth

KBCraig

Quote from: RattyDog on July 25, 2007, 10:11 AM NHFT
1. Learning what I need to do to purchase a gun, is there somewhere I can go to see what I have to do legally or does someone here know? What sort of paperwork do I fill out and where do I get it?

If you buy from a dealer, you fill out the ATF Form 4473, which he supplies. It's simple: your identifying information and a list of yes/no questions about your legal eligibility to buy a gun under federal law.

If you buy from a non-dealer, there is no paperwork. For handguns, NH law says the buyer must either be "personally known" to the seller, or have a NH Revolver & Pistol License.

Quote2. Finding a good place to go to shoot a gun and practice and find a gun that would be a good fit for me.

Like Lloyd said, contact Jenn and hook up with SAS.

Quote3. Learning what a girl has to do to get a carry/conceal license...I just want to check this out, not sure if I want a license to carry...but who knows.

Go down to your city hall or police station, fill out the form and give them $10, and pick it up within two weeks. That's it.

As for which gun, go back to #2. Most commercial ranges have a "Ladies Night", and you can try out a variety of guns to find one that suits you. And meeting with Jenn and the gals will give you a chance to handle lots of different guns.

Good luck!

Kevin

Lloyd Danforth

If you don't have a record they can find, I think they have to issue a CC permit. You don't have to show the cop your CC permit.  Contact SAS.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: RattyDog on July 25, 2007, 10:49 AM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on July 25, 2007, 10:43 AM NHFT
Quote from: RattyDog on July 25, 2007, 10:11 AM NHFT

If you buy from a dealer, you fill out the ATF Form 4473, which he supplies. It's simple: your identifying information and a list of yes/no questions about your legal eligibility to buy a gun under federal law.

If you buy from a non-dealer, there is no paperwork. For handguns, NH law says the buyer must either be "personally known" to the seller, or have a NH Revolver & Pistol License.

Quote2. Finding a good place to go to shoot a gun and practice and find a gun that would be a good fit for me.

Like Lloyd said, contact Jenn and hook up with SAS.

Quote3. Learning what a girl has to do to get a carry/conceal license...I just want to check this out, not sure if I want a license to carry...but who knows.

Go down to your city hall or police station, fill out the form and give them $10, and pick it up within two weeks. That's it.

As for which gun, go back to #2. Most commercial ranges have a "Ladies Night", and you can try out a variety of guns to find one that suits you. And meeting with Jenn and the gals will give you a chance to handle lots of different guns.

Good luck!

Kevin

Thanks a lot Kevin!

Can they tell me I can't have a weapon? I mean, I don't want a bazooka and am not a felon or anything...but can they deny me? I know they aren't supposed to, but, let's be real...they're not supposed to a lot of stuff. Is it hard to get the license to carry? If I do, will every officer who ever pulls me over assume that I have a weapon in the car?

The Form 4473 is (sort of) available online, and Wikipedia has more info on it. It requires a background check which is where they can try to deny you. New Hampshire is a "shall issue" state (as opposed to "may issue"), which is legislated through RSA 159:6, which, notably, mandates what the town may not ask for to receive a CCW.

mvpel

Evelyn Logan, a director of Gun Owners of New Hampshire and a rape survivor, offers individual training geared specifically for women, and is a certified NRA instructor and does the NRA's "Refuse to be a Victim" course periodically.  You can get in touch with her via the GO-Phone, 603-225-GONH (-4664).

J’raxis 270145

...And I think the Wilson Hill Pistol Club is the FSP-friendly place that Ron mentioned at the Taproom last night.

KBCraig

Quote from: RattyDog on July 25, 2007, 11:51 AM NHFT
Thanks a lot for all of your help. I would just worry that having a license to carry is something that would "pop up" when a Cop ran my plates...you know, just to give them a heads up or whatever...I jsut don't want to be harassed...do you think they would always assume I was carrying the weapon?

Cops, like everyone else who is aware of their surroundings, assume everyone has a gun. As someone (Heinlein?) said, "Be unfailingly polite, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Just in case they mean you harm, you know.

The pistol license in NH is not tied to your license plates or DL. Unless asked, you're not required to inform police that you're licensed, nor that you're carrying. You're not even required to have the license with you while carrying, but it's a good idea (because verifying a license from another town could cause delays).

And of course it's not recognized in Mass or Maine. You can get a non-resident Maine license pretty easily. Mass is harder, and it's $100 a year, renewed annually, for non-residents.

Kevin

error

You probably want to carry a resized photocopy. The license is rather odd-sized.

KBCraig

Quote from: RattyDog on July 25, 2007, 02:28 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on July 25, 2007, 01:55 PM NHFT
You probably want to carry a resized photocopy. The license is rather odd-sized.

Hmmm, large odd, or small odd?

Large odd:

Many residents laminate a reduced-size copy, and carry that.

Dreepa

Also you can PM 'Granite Forge' on these boards.

He either owns or runs or is somehow connected to the Manchester Firing Line.

mvpel

The Maine license is very easy to get, inexpensive aside from the training requirement, and is good for four years.  If you travel to Maine often you should definitely get one.  Maine does not recognize any other state's concealed carry license.

Check out packing.org for application instructions: http://www.packing.org/state/maine/