• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Manchester Paper in the Works... can you help?

Started by RattyDog, August 01, 2007, 10:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 02, 2007, 08:21 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 02, 2007, 07:49 PM NHFT
This is really what we're going for, yes. A liberty-leaning paper that takes a moderate enough stance such that people won't immediately dismiss us as fringe groups and wackos.
How about I call you a fringe group now and then you can be free to say what you really mean? :)
If you give in to PC .... then how different are you?

RattyDog explained it best in the initial post:—

Quote from: RattyDog on August 01, 2007, 10:39 AM NHFT
Basically, we're trying to distribute a paper that appeals to folks who are in our area, but outside our movement. Those people who may see us holding signs and think to themselves "What are these crazy people doing!"...we want to put a friendly, easier to swallow, face to this movement...we want to bring more citizens into this way of thinking, give them an outlet, a place to go to say "I'm so mad that they're trying to make me rent my dog from them, what can I do?".  I think they believe that this movement is not for them because they only hear of such polarizing issues as the Browns, etc...we want to show them that, no, it's more than that....it's about the bullshit that is going on right outside their front doors...you know?

It's not so much giving in to PC or moderation; it's about trying to get those types over to our cause, slowly, by appealing to them in a manner they'll respond positively to, without turning them off in the process.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 02, 2007, 08:50 PM NHFT
btw .... I am happy you guys want to do a paper of some sort. If yours is similar to ours, we will not distribute as much in Manchester .... but if your paper is more mainstream or more political, then we will have to keep infultrating the big city with our backwoods freedom ideas ;D

I actually think it's a great idea to have both, especially if the Manchester Free Press takes the route we've been describing... it would serve as a sort of stepping stone into the more serious pro-freedom stuff you guys do.

Dreepa

I think that is smart.
Not everyone starts out thinking the govt is evil.  Maybe you can show them one step at a time.

Braddogg

Quote from: Dreepa on August 02, 2007, 09:52 PM NHFT
I think that is smart.
Not everyone starts out thinking the govt is evil.  Maybe you can show them one step at a time.

Right.  It's the same reason I AMP FTL.  It's an excellent stepping stone into the meatier parts of liberty.

Caleb

Yeah, Ian! Get on the ball, here! You're just `soft' liberty.  ;D With a little `s'.  :icon_pirat:

Braddogg

Quote from: Caleb on August 02, 2007, 10:14 PM NHFT
Yeah, Ian! Get on the ball, here! You're just `soft' liberty.  ;D With a little `s'.  :icon_pirat:

LOL

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 02, 2007, 08:50 PM NHFT
If yours is similar to ours, we will not distribute as much in Manchester ....

Wait. Where do you distribute in Manchester? I don't see anything on here.

Dave Ridley

I doubt anything but heartache and paperwork will come of a 501c3 application.   It gives washington more control over your paper....if you successfully get thru the lengthy begging process.  ask the old free state project leaders what happened when they tried it. 

Braddogg

The newspaper I worked for had no troubles with the 501c3 status.  Of course, we never took in enough money to warrant any difficult tax filings.  Hopefully, the MFP will be rolling in dough and paying her executive officers six-figure salaries by next year, so the tax filings may be a problem ;)

dalebert

Quote from: RattyDog on August 02, 2007, 01:08 PM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 02, 2007, 12:38 PM NHFT
ratty:
touch base with "dalebert" on this forum if u like.   maybe he can build political cartoons for you.

Dada:

I was hoping he would volunteer to do so...he is funny and makes good jokes/cartoons. I'm just trying to be sensitve to asking for too much, I don't want anyone to commit to helping because they think I will be upset if they don't, you know? I jsut want people to have fun with this.

Good grief. Give me time to respond. It's only been a day since I last posted on this thread. I'm just getting around to catching up on it :)

I should be able to manage a cartoon every couple of weeks, I think. I'm also going to be making some cartoons exclusively for a liberty-oriented website soon, but I think I can handle both. That one will be somewhere between monthly and weekly.

Kat Kanning

We distribute at several large grocery stores in Manchester.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 02, 2007, 09:04 PM NHFT
It's not so much giving in to PC or moderation; it's about trying to get those types over to our cause, slowly, by appealing to them in a manner they'll respond positively to, without turning them off in the process.
I think people like meaty messages and people that strike the root.

btw .... I am going for liberty in my lifetime. I figure we better get going.

dalebert

Don't try to mainstream your message so it will have a broader audience. That's a brute-force marketing tactic that only works for established and well-funded large projects. This is a niche paper that will be all the more appealing the more different it is from the other papers out there. Even people who are shocked by the content will be fascinated and drawn to it just to see what "those whackos" are ranting about lately. Then, even as they reject some material for being too outside their well-indoctrinated views, the seed will have been planted. They will be forced to deal with thoughts they've likely never been introduced to. I still give credit to my enlightment to arguments made to me that I rejected outright when I heard them, only to re-think those statements later when presented with more information.

Lloyd Danforth

I think the headline on the first edition of the KFP went something like: 'Should New Hampshire Secede?'

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: RattyDog on August 03, 2007, 11:36 AM NHFT
Jeremy:

Email addresses? For example: NBradford@manchfreepress.com - will this be possible? Also...will you be able to make it to TT this coming week...I have lots of questions for you!

Any email addresses @manchfreepress.{com,net,org} will be possible. Other than us owning the domains, nothing's set up yet, but I'll be using a standard SMTP/POP/IMAP server software most likely, so we can be pretty flexible... standard desktop email client access, webmail interface if anyone wants it, ability to forward the mail to your GMail account if you have one (or anywhere else), whatever.

We should discuss all that we want Saturday and/or next Tuesday.

Everybody:

I will be at Murphys tomorrow @10am, to meet some fot he people at the MVP meeting and get to know more people, if enough MFP people show up, we can have discussion about that, too! It would be nice to have a little face time and share more ideas.

It's apparently at 11:00 this month.

Our first offical meeting will be Tuesday night @ 7pm...you guessed it, Murphys!! YAY Murphys! I will be prepared for some pretty intense storming of brains...so come with your thinking cap on! This will be a great time for us to bump more ideas around and start talking about content, which, lets face it...we need to talk about!

Our second official MFP meeting will be Saturday, August 11th at Murphys. Braddog will be there with a mockup if all goes as planned and if he is unable to attend, I will still have the mockup, if he is able to email to me...but I do hope that he can make it! This will be very exciting and I hope lots of people can make it.

And we will, of course, be at Murphys on tuesdays any time anyone wants to come...it's really fun.

Anyone with ideas or who just needs to reach me can email me at: rattydogfreedom@hotmail.com, or PM me here.

Thank you very much!

What do you think about setting up forum software like this, and perhaps a Wiki, on the Manchester Free Press site? It would be easier to use than email or PMs for collaborating and coördinating our efforts. And we don't get interrupted when someone else's database falls on its face. ;)