• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Winter Looms - Projects a-Plenty - need workers!

Started by mvpel, September 04, 2007, 09:47 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mvpel

Hi all,

I've finally come to the conclusion that the list of projects I have on deck around the house and at work is to the point where I'm waging a losing race against time as winter approacheth.

Thus, I'm interested in hiring industrious individuals for the following project:

- A chain link fence move.

Due to a foul-up many years ago, the back neighbor installed a fence that nipped a triangle with an apex of about 25 feet out of my and my next-door neighbor's lots.  This came to light when the back neighbor did a clear-cut exposing us to another neighbor's nasty sodium-vapor garage lamp that stays on all night.

The neighbor has paid for the surveyor's stakes, and the lot line is now clearly marked, so the project is to sink a new line of fence poles, detach the chain-link from the old line, slice off the old fence poles (they're in concrete), and move the existing fencing fabric and top rails over to the new line of poles and reattach it, adding a gate around the middle so we can be more neighborly more easily, if the back neighbor approves.

The lot line is 375.3 feet.  I'm thinking that using OZ-Posts could work out well, and save the immense hassle of 120 pounds of concrete for each of ~37-40 fence poles.  I have a hefty air compressor, so we could run some air hose out there to run a pneumatic jackhammer to drive the posts.

If you're interested in the project, drop me a line and let me know, and inform me of your pricing structure - T&M, job, etc, or if you'd like to come out and have a look at the project.  I expect the next-door neighbor and I will go in on it together, though I suppose I should ask him about that, eh?

The key is getting it done before the ground freezes solid.

Thanks!

mvpel

Project #2

I'm looking for someone - equipped with suitable respiratory protection, a tyvek jumpsuit, gloves, a hat, and goggles (trust me) - to remove about 1,000 square feet of disgusting mouse-sodden fiberglass insulation from my basement ceiling, and another few hundred square feet from a crawl space under the family room.  If you have a pickup in which to convey it to the nearby transfer station, so much the better, otherwise I'll want to coordinate a dumpster rental with an upcoming bedroom demolition.

I plan to replace the insulation with mouse-unfriendly bubble-foil radiant insulation, with expanding polyurethane on the band joist, and needless to say, winter approacheth and propane is dear, so I'd like to get the work done before the temperature drops and the chill descends, to give me adequate time to replace mouse-masticated electrical wiring.

Again, let me know - mvpel@hushmail.com or 603-424-6916.

KBCraig

Quote from: mvpel on September 04, 2007, 09:47 PM NHFT
The lot line is 375.3 feet.  I'm thinking that using OZ-Posts could work out well, and save the immense hassle of 120 pounds of concrete for each of ~37-40 fence poles.  I have a hefty air compressor, so we could run some air hose out there to run a pneumatic jackhammer to drive the posts.

How much concrete per post?  :o

Is that a frostline thing? I've installed a lot of 4' chainlink, and we just dig a hole the depth of the posthole digger blades, then drive the post to depth. Pour in one 40 pound bag of Quickrete (or slightly less... leave a couple of inches below grade), and forget. The mix will absorb enough water from the soil that you don't even have to worry about watering it. (That's for line posts, obviously, not corner posts. Same technique, but bigger hole, and you want your corner posts to set before stretching the fabric.)

Oh, and unless your compressor is powered by a diesel engine, it's not going to move the CFM required for a pneumatic jackhammer. You can get an electric chipper pretty cheap from Harbor Freight, though.

(If you do have a compressor at home that will run a hammer, then...  :worship: )

mvpel

I've never done a chainlink fence before, and saw something online that specified 2 60-lb bags of concrete per post.  Maybe it was supposed to be 2 posts per bag?

What kind of airflow does a small pneumatic hammer need?

Nat F

Quote from: mvpel on September 05, 2007, 12:20 PM NHFT
What kind of airflow does a small pneumatic hammer need?

A small air hammer uses 3-5 CFM, but that's an air hammer used for auto body work and such, not a jackhammer used for driving piles.  When I used to work marine construction we used a tow behind compressor capable of delivering ~150 CFM with a 60 lb jackhammer for driving 4x4 piles into marsh at about 50 CFM and a 90 lb hammer at 75-100 CFM for 6x6 timbers.  We couldn't use two large jackhammers at once with the trailer based compressor but we could use two of the smaller jackhammers.  The air supply lines were ~1" diameter with twist on connectors as opposed to the standard 3/8 NPT style.

-Nat

mvpel

OZ-Post recommends Bosch, Brute, or Wacker electric 60# jackhammers, or the Wacker gas-powered BH-23.  But it sounds like that'd be overkill for the line posts, and the terminal posts, at least not including the gate, are already sunk.

41mag

I'll be able to help out.  Just let me know when.

mvpel

I assume it's possible to rent a fence-stretcher from Home Depot...