• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Town is requesting to inspect inside my home for assessment. Need help!

Started by amanuse, September 29, 2007, 03:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

amanuse

I received a letter from Derry Town Hall Assessor David N. Gomez requesting I call to make an appointment for an interior review of my home. The letter says that a town representative already visited my property to measure the exterior structures to verify the accuracy of the exterior data the town has on file. Now, they want to see the inside of my house, and have requested I call 603-432-6104 by Monday 10/15/07 to schedule an appointment. I have attached the letter with my name and private data blocked off for your review. To me, this request constitutes an unwarranted search, and it occurs to me that they are asking my permission to come in for that reason. However, I do not want to let them in my house, and I want advice on how to prevent it and/or protest the request. The request makes me feel like I am renting this property from a landlord, but I am not. I own the property and have a deed in my name. Is there any way I can stop them from coming in and not face some penalty or unjust assessment to "punish me" for my lack of cooperation? Or should I organize a protest while they are here? Is there anything I can do? Please help. I will leave my name off this request for the time being so the town does not catch wind of my inquiry.
Sincerely,
amanuse

[attachment deleted by admin]

EthanAllen

If you refuse they will just make a "guestimate" of the market value of the house. It could be higher than it's actual market value. Are you willing to take a chance at a higher valuation?

amanuse

I'd rather not take a chance of higher valuation, no. However, this law is unjust and must be changed. I have found relevant material at the following two Web sites:

- http://www.ij.org/private_property/new_hampshire/index.html
- http://www.ij.org/private_property/new_hampshire/2_17_05pr.html

It seems clear that others are also trying to fight this, and that it might take a bit longer than I would hope to change things. However, perhaps we can organize a protest at my house when this government official does in fact come to my house. We can have 30-50 people over and make his job very uncomfortable, and video tape the whole thing. Please let me know what you think about this idea and whether you'd be willing to take part. We can set a day and I will try to schedule the appointment for that day and time.

Please let me know what your interest would be in something like this.

EthanAllen

Quote from: alaska on September 29, 2007, 04:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: amanuse on September 29, 2007, 03:14 PM NHFT
I own both the land and the house.

You pay taxes on both. You don't and they take them away. So you merely just rent them from the government.

The taxation of capital is immoral.

The requirement for the sharing of the land value that is not attributable to your labor with your neighbors, directly and equally, in exchange for exclusive use is just because exclusive use in a scarcity market of something that has an inelastic supply (land) imposes a cost on those you exclude that if collected by the landowner violates the excluded's absolute right of self-ownership.

So rather than saying the government owns your land and you pay rent on it, this establishes instead that everything not produced by human labor we all have an individual equal access opportunity right to occupy. A Lockean concept.

This is an unpopular view for modern classical liberals but was the mainstream view of Jefferson, Paine all the way up to Nock and Chodorov.

amanuse

I really don't want to have this debate here. I have no problem paying just taxes on my land and home, but it is my land and it is my home. I have the right to property guaranteed by the Constitution. I pay taxes on property to ensure that the people en mass, aka, the government, provides services around my home and in my community, such as roads and etc.

So just that it's clear, I have no problem paying taxes on my home and land. That is not my concern here. My concern is that a government official is going to force his way into my home without a warrant, and for no probable cause. If you would read the links I provided above, it is easier for the government to conduct this search than to search someone who may be guilty of a crime. I am a law abiding citizen, and I don't want government officials in my house. They can't come in without a warrant. The law that allows them to do this is unconstitutional, and it needs to be overturned. Taxes can easily be assessed on my house from the outside. How well I keep up my house on the inside should not way into the equation. If I applied for a permit to expand my house, then I can see some intervention to make sure I am complying with the building code. That is not the case here. They are just coming in to - I don't really know what.

So again, I am looking for people to come and help me protest this intrusion when it occurs, since it seems impossible to avoid severe penalty otherwise. Legalized extortion anyone? Anyway, no more debate about this. I just want help. I don't want debate on this thread. If you want to debate this, make another thread. okay? So whoever wants to help me let me know.

Mike Barskey

I *know* nothing, but it *seems* to me like this is a request, structured in a way to make it look like a requirement. They almost blatantly blackmail you with a higher valuation if you do not agree to their inspection of the inside of your home. But notice they "are asking that you call."

If you do decide to allow it, videotaping it sounds like a great idea.

porcupine kate

You may want to contact the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance about this.  They are very good at keeping track of what State and local governments can get away with.  I would talk to them before you fill that form out.

http://www.nhliberty.org/

Good luck and don't give in.
Kate

SnowDog

Most bureaucrats that I've spoken with are pretty cool, if you speak to them calmly, in a positive manner. I feel the same sense of invasion that you probably feel, just by reading your message. So, what I would do is just call them on the phone and tell them that the interior inspection is an invasion of your privacy, and that I would like to know what happens if I were to refuse the interior inspection? Would my taxes be higher? How much higher? etc... If he says that it's a requirement, then ask what happens if you refuse? Do you get fined? Do the police come and force their way in? Be sincere, and the bureaucrat will probably not take offense.

SnowDog

Quote from: EthanAllen on September 29, 2007, 06:28 PM NHFT
QuoteThe law that allows them to do this is unconstitutional, and it needs to be overturned.

There is no law.

Property taxes include unimproved (land) and improved (buildings) values. How are they to assess the building unless they know the quality of the workmanship on the inside?

I live in Texas, and no one ever asks to come into your house when they evaluate it for property taxes. They also allow you to challenge their assessment if you wish.

Dreepa

Welcome amanuse

Others--Please no debates here about renting of land etc.. they don't want a debate.. advice and help.

I think that there is a 'rule/law/requirement'  that if you don't let them see the inside of the house that they guess and that you have no recourse to appeal.  (I am sure that there is an RSA for that here):
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/indexes/search.html

Funny I have someone coming to assess my house on Wed.. although it is for an insurance company so I will allow them.

Nat F

Dave Ridley has left a message on porc-411 requesting that people assist amanuse because Dave knows him and he's been a free stater for awhile.  Dave also requested a verbatim transcription of his message.  If someone can transcribe better than I can (or wants to hear Dave's words directly) please listen to the attached file.

-Nat

[attachment deleted by admin]

paw128

Hey  ;D Just let it go and let 'em in. It's really no big deal. Hey ya letme in your house ;D. Nothing bad is gonna happen.

SnowDog

Quote from: paw128 on September 29, 2007, 09:00 PM NHFT
Hey  ;D Just let it go and let 'em in. It's really no big deal. Hey ya letme in your house ;D. Nothing bad is gonna happen.

But this is how the door opens to more serious violations of our rights. This is a fourth amendment issue.

I'm curious... If the appraiser finds something illegal in the house, does he report it to the police?

dalebert

Quote from: amanuse on September 29, 2007, 05:58 PM NHFT
I really don't want to have this debate here.

Join the club. In Ethan's world, all paths lead to the same place. He's a troll. Just hit "ignore".