• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anarchy in your Head Web Comics

Started by dalebert, October 20, 2007, 04:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

And here I thought it was only the raw foodists who discussed their poo on forums.

dalebert

Updated the image to use a thicker font as suggested by Puke. I also removed the white background behind the title and instead made it a gray text with a white text offset. The idea is to make sure the image and text is clear on all colors of t-shirts including black. I just didn't like that white bubble effect. I think this will look better on a dark background.

Caleb

KBCraig

So, Ron... whose poo was it?

(Man, those Minnesotans!)

Puke

Ron Helwig

Quote from: KBCraig on March 20, 2008, 01:52 AM NHFT
So, Ron... whose poo was it?

(Man, those Minnesotans!)

It was our dog's poo. I was used to picking it up by then, although usually I used a shovel.  ;)

Puke

Quote from: Ron Helwig on March 20, 2008, 11:31 AM NHFT

It was our dog's poo. I was used to picking it up by then, although usually I used a shovel.  ;)

Well that's a different thing entirely. Growing up on a farm I've been in many a cow shit fight. When it's dry it's about like a clod of grass from under a lawn mover.

Jacobus

I'm still waiting for the rival site "Kritarchy in Your Head" to appear.  Or maybe ...

Plutocracy in Your Head
Absolute Monarchy in Your Head
Constitutional Republican Meritocracy in Your Head

:rimshot:

I apologize if this joke has already been made.

KBCraig

Quote from: Jacobus on March 20, 2008, 08:32 PM NHFT
I'm still waiting for the rival site "Kritarchy in Your Head" to appear.  Or maybe ...

Plutocracy in Your Head

Shouldn't that be pootocracy? He who flings the most poo makes the rules?

dalebert

This article references a panel at a webcomics conference. I love the dialogue that you see a short ways down (don't have to read too far) where the basic assertion is that people giving away comics for free on the web has made it hard to make a living as a comic artist. He has this crazy notion that if it was all taken offline and people had to buy it (newspaper syndication and what-not) that everyone would make more money. Of course, he's upset that new technologies have created competition for him. I also love the line that comics now have to be both comics and businessmen and they can't do that. I think everyone has to be a businessman in a free market, which is what the Internet is sort of allowing a bit more of despite the State's interference. I love seeing whiny little loser bitches getting their panties in a wad because they can't compete in the real world. I know I have a tough challenge ahead of me with thousands of comics online, but I see the silver lining of a huge marketplace and new ways to market as well. I feel like I'm getting better both at the comics end and the business end, and then there's still LOTS of room for improvement in both areas.

http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2008/03/25/ted-rall-rich-stevens-others-debate-webcomic-impact-on-cartooning/

dalebert

The bumper stickers will be arriving soon. I made a post about it.

http://anarchyinyourhead.com/2008/04/03/bumper-stickers/

dalebert

Wow, I added my strip to the web comics list just a week ago and I'm already rated 438 out of 11,026. Doesn't seem bad to me for the first week.

dalebert

I've finally discovered a Wordpress theme specifically for webcomics! I looked before but apparently my problem was searching for "comics" and not "webcomics". I'm really horrible at finding things on the net, but I think I'm getting better at it. I'm going to tinker around with this and see about switching over soon. It should make the site SO much better. It may actually start to look like a Webcomic.  :)

http://mindfaucet.com/comicpress/

dalebert

I may have mentioned this some time in the past, but it's worth mentioning again. I just wanted to remind everyone about the support page on my site. I'm not talking about any kind of financial support. I'm just talking about relatively simple things people can do to help get a buzz going about the site. If you're a fan of the cartoons, I think you'll agree that they're a great way to promote a stateless society in an entertaining and relatively non-threatening way. By getting my traffic up, you help me to make the site profitable, and that means I can devote more and more time to it in the long run. I'd like to be putting out cartoons more often than just once a week. I know I'll get faster at making them also. I can't really seriously consider that if the site doesn't eventually start to produce some kind of income, and the bottom line for that is traffic. It's my responsibility to find a way to monetize that of course.

http://anarchyinyourhead.com/support/

The best thing, IMO, is just reposting comics that you think will appeal to people. For instance, if you post in a forum for marijuana issues, repost the St. Patrick's Day cartoon for them or today's cartoon with the clock. Another really simple thing is that I have made my signature banner code available on that support page. See that logo with the latest comic date next to it? You can just cut and paste the code into the signature box of your profile on most forums and you will have the same sig. It will even update automatically for you when I update the date. My thought is, if you don't have a sig right now, why not help promote AIYH until you do come up with a different sig you'd like to display? I certainly don't expect anyone to replace an existing sig, particularly if you're promoting your own site. I'm not into that altruism nonsense. You gotta look out for #1. :) It's also available in html if you have a spot on a blog or other website that you're not using. I'm planning to create some lightly animated blog ads soon that will be kind of amusing and perhaps a nice bit of filler for an empty spot.

Good news is the traffic to the site is way up and I'm just looking to keep that trend going! There have been 1800 unique visitors in the last month which is already up just from yesterday where I think it was about 1750, and it's at over 500 hits today prolly with more still to come. We had several days in a row of really high traffic after last week's full-page cartoon. I usually get spikes the day after a new toon that then quickly drop, but the last spike lasted three days and the traffic is not dipping nearly as much between cartoons as it has been since the site went up. For a while there, I hate to say that I was getting a bit discouraged at the lack of any sense of positive momentum, but there now seems to be lots of reason for optimism.

I want to thank Kat again for the free promotion. You are wonderful! I'm sure that's helped. And whatever any of you decide to do, I want to thank you in advance.

Oh yes, and the bumper stickers should be arriving any day now. If you're local, I'll give you one or more if you promise you'll use them. If you're not local, just paypal me a buck per sticker and I'll mail them out. More information about that here:

http://anarchyinyourhead.com/2008/04/03/bumper-stickers/

Dale

J’raxis 270145

Next time you're around, give me a handful of your business cards—I've talked about your site to a few people, but I always seem to have to write the name down because it's a bit too long to just remember.

And speaking of that, I notice you show up nowhere in a Google search for AIYH. That would also probably go a long way toward being able to tell people how to find the site, "just google AIYH." You can (eventually) get Google to link the acronym with your site by using the acronym as the text for anchors—for example, next time you write about it in a forum post, link to it that way at least once.