• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kids doing fun stuff

Started by Tom Sawyer, November 09, 2007, 11:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

;D 8) No doubt the youngster will be wrecking hotel rooms
In the future.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Pat K on August 16, 2015, 10:57 PM NHFT
;D 8) No doubt the youngster will be wrecking hotel rooms
In the future.

He needs about 10,000 more hours of experience before he'd be good enough for anyone to put up with that kind of behavior.  ;D

He's got potential, seems to have a knack for it... but, like a lot of young guys he's in a hurry for the flash and tricks. Slow down and get it right, speed will come later.

He's real happy to have some video to show his friends.  :) 8)

Russell Kanning

I found one of my friends from college on facebook or somewhere the other day. He was a classical guitarist from Dallas. Now he teaches kids every style of guitar in Salt Lake. His hair is also 1 foot longer. :)
He looks like he is having fun in the youtube videos.

Russell Kanning

Tom Sawyer

Catalonian Song - Michael Bayless, Classical Guitar
https://youtu.be/s9b2A2m08mE

He has a wonderful touch.

The video is rough looking, but the audio recording is pretty decent.

Thanks, that was nice to hear.

Russell Kanning

that guy would play a song for me in his dormroom .... ask me if I noticed any mistakes .... I really never noticed one. Then he would beat himself with a ruler to motivate himself. ya he was pretty intense :)

Tom Sawyer

Merry Christmas

Vincent got to meet Santa, William is sharing the fun with the next wave of "believers".  :D

Becky Thatcher

Hey Jim...check out the cardboard Lexus.  This is pretty damn cool.

https://youtu.be/1EzdFBzTQJ4

Russell Kanning

that disturbs my sensibilities

Tom Sawyer

The Alchemist's Apprentice

William has learned a lot under Jim's tutelage. He cut, ground, and welded some railroad steel to create an anvil. Goes along with his studies on Hephaestus, the Greek god of blacksmiths, craftsmen, artisans, sculptors, metals, metallurgy, fire, and volcanoes.

It's exciting to work with fire, electricity, and watch the sparks fly.

KBCraig

Rail trivia for William: rail is sized in pounds per yard.

There are some light duty branch lines that might use 90 pound rail, but when I worked on a section gang in 1981-'82, all the main line was being upgraded from 127 pound, to 136, and soon after to 148.

Before continuous welded rail ("ribbon rail") became ubiquitous in the early-mid 1980s, all track was made from 13 yard long rails that were bolted together.

New creosote-soaked hardwood crossties are heavy mofos.

When the air temperature is already 110F and you're unloading new ties out of a gondola car, the creosote fumes turn you redder than your worst sunburn.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on March 19, 2016, 06:10 PM NHFT
Rail trivia for William: rail is sized in pounds per yard.

There are some light duty branch lines that might use 90 pound rail, but when I worked on a section gang in 1981-'82, all the main line was being upgraded from 127 pound, to 136, and soon after to 148.

Before continuous welded rail ("ribbon rail") became ubiquitous in the early-mid 1980s, all track was made from 13 yard long rails that were bolted together.

New creosote-soaked hardwood crossties are heavy mofos.

When the air temperature is already 110F and you're unloading new ties out of a gondola car, the creosote fumes turn you redder than your worst sunburn.

Thanks, I'll pass the info along.

Ah, creosote... I remember that being used all the time around the farm. Now they'd freak out if you were using it.

My how times have changed. It's a crime to walk along the railroad tracks now.

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 19, 2016, 08:15 PM NHFT

It always was: trespassing.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on March 19, 2016, 09:11 PM NHFT

Never saw any signs when I was kid.

blackie

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 19, 2016, 10:22 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on March 19, 2016, 09:11 PM NHFT

Never saw any signs when I was kid.
I did in the 80s. But no one ever said anything.

They still don't say anything. I was walking on the tracks a few weeks ago and was wondering if it is considered stealing to take old rail road ties and other junk left around. I'm pretty sure most of it is abandoned.