• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Should protesters respect private property?

Started by yonder, January 05, 2008, 10:55 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

yonder

How do you feel about private property rights?

These people were trespassing and would not leave the premises.

The protesters can exercise their rights to protest on public property, but I they cross the line when they invade private property and refuse to leave.

EDIT: I fixed the subject line of this message, which was misleading and not of my own creation originally when the moderators forked this subject off.

Caleb

Quote from: yonder on January 05, 2008, 10:55 AM NHFT

I don't believe in them. The concept that a human being can possess something that is billions of years older than him, and will outlive him by billions of years, and that is already in the possession of someone else, seems stupid to me.

Russell Kanning

I think sometimes there are more important things.

yonder

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 05, 2008, 11:48 AM NHFT
The protesters can exercise their rights to protest on public property, but I they cross the line when they invade private property and refuse to leave.
My wife and I were hauled off in one of those paddy wagons .... after holding signs on a "public sidewalk" .... where we were not getting in anyone's way and were not disturbing people passing by. These guys are thugs.

I think your scenario is entirely different.  If you're on a public sidewalk and not intimidating or blocking the free movement of other people, you really ought to be left alone.

Squatting on someone else's private property, though, really infringes on someone else's liberty and IMO engages the only legitimate purpose of government.

KBCraig

Quote from: Caleb on January 05, 2008, 11:27 AM NHFT

I don't believe in them.

Shame you don't still live in NH. A new mover wouldn't have to worry about a place to stay: they could just move into yours and boot you out.

KBCraig

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 05, 2008, 11:46 AM NHFT
I think sometimes there are more important things.

And yet it's a good thing that people have respected your private property rights, by not posting political topics here when you asked that they stop.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: yonder on January 05, 2008, 01:12 PM NHFT
I think your scenario is entirely different.  If you're on a public sidewalk and not intimidating or blocking the free movement of other people, you really ought to be left alone.

Squatting on someone else's private property, though, really infringes on someone else's liberty and IMO engages the only legitimate purpose of government.
but this system .... the city of manchester .... treated both situations the same

I would also go on private property ... and have .... to bother bad guys.

yonder

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 05, 2008, 01:32 PM NHFT

So you are condoning violation of someone's private property rights to harass someone who has violated your sense of morality even though they have done nothing to violate your own liberty?

So is it okay for other people to come and harass you on your own property when they feel you're one of the bad guys?  Is it justifiable?  Even if you feel that your own behavior is just & moral, and the trespassers disagree with you?

Is it ok for agents of the government to infringe on your liberties when they feel you have violated their own collective sense of morality?  Like, say, if you're smoking a joint in the privacy of your own home?

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Quote from: yonder on January 05, 2008, 02:42 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 05, 2008, 01:32 PM NHFT

So you are condoning violation of someone's private property rights to harass someone who has violated your sense of morality even though they have done nothing to violate your own liberty?
Yes
Rudy steals people's money and spends it enslaving and hurting many.

yonder

Wow.  Just wow.  How can I follow that logic?   :o

You win.

picaro

I saw these people waving signs in front of Guiliani's headquarters.  I honked... then they handed me some white separatist literature.   ::)

...not that bigots deserve to be singled out by public authorities.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 05, 2008, 04:09 PM NHFT
It is funny to watch people defend the government thugs.

It's funny to watch someone condoning behavior—violation of another's private property—that makes them no different from a government thug. If you think that a person's sense of right and wrong override someone else's rights, you have now justified practically everything the government does, from taxation to social services to interventionist wars.

J’raxis 270145

These people were trespassing and would not leave the premises.

As Russell said, though, they've arrested people protesting on public sidewalks before. I think the private property issues are secondary here, and serving as a distraction—if the cops couldn't've used that as an excuse for arrest, they would've tried to find something else, like "blocking a public sidewalk."

yonder

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on January 05, 2008, 06:26 PM NHFT
It's funny to watch someone condoning behavior—violation of another's private property—that makes them no different from a government thug. If you think that a person's sense of right and wrong override someone else's rights, you have now justified practically everything the government does, from taxation to social services to interventionist wars.

:thanks:

Was beginning to wonder if I landed on redstate.com or something by accident, waiting for someone else to pop in and make some sense.