• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Building Mark's House

Started by Tom Sawyer, January 18, 2008, 11:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

41mag

With all the stress and frustration I've been getting at work I decided to take a week off.  I wonder if Mark will let me take some of the frustration out on a few nails?

I'll have the week of March 23rd off.  If you're still working out there I'll be happy to stop by and help out on Wednesday or Thursday (I'd do both, but I'd need a place to stay and I've got cats that need to eat).

Where is this place by the way?

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 04, 2008, 07:28 AM NHFT
We got a little more than half the roof metal on yesterday.

You should have seen us... a couple of nimble cats scampering around on the roof. I invoked, in the spirit of Kola, as I stood on the peak 20 feet off the ground... it's a good day to die! (Luckily no one did)  :D

According to AcQweather, the Good Day to Die meter says that it will be low tomarrow....
Thursday will be better... 

Kat Kanning

We have a couch you can sleep on, 41 mag.

Kat Kanning

You guys cancelling work today for this piddly little bit of weather?  ::)

Tom, the new avatar is so cute!

dalebert

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 05, 2008, 04:51 AM NHFT

Speaking of that, is your metal roof going to attract lightning? Are you going to attach it to a grounding wire?

Russell Kanning

compared to the 90 foot trees?

what if your metal roof was basically insulated from the ground?

I wonder if they are planning a ground wire from the roof. hmmm

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: 41mag on March 04, 2008, 08:32 PM NHFT
With all the stress and frustration I've been getting at work I decided to take a week off.  I wonder if Mark will let me take some of the frustration out on a few nails?

I'll have the week of March 23rd off.  If you're still working out there I'll be happy to stop by and help out on Wednesday or Thursday (I'd do both, but I'd need a place to stay and I've got cats that need to eat).

Where is this place by the way?

It would be fun to see ya. Sorry to hear your new job is stressful.

As to the secret location of Mark's lair, I can PM you.  ;) For the public board I'll just say it is in the hamlet of Edgingtonton.  :D

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 05, 2008, 04:51 AM NHFT

Tom, the new avatar is so cute!

Hey workin' men's egos are fragile...  :'(  ;D

Be careful Kat we were having to work left handed on the east side of the roof and were planning on have you, Elizabeth, and William (the lefties) up on the roof.  >:D

Yeah, William is a cutie... beats my gnarled and grizzled mug.  ;D

srqrebel

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 05, 2008, 08:17 AM NHFT
what if your metal roof was basically insulated from the ground?

lightning strikes, house burns down

Russell Kanning

if it is perfectly insulated from everything else ... the lightning would not be attracted to it

Pat K

Question: Do I need lightning rods on my metal roof?

Answer: Lightning should be analyzed concerning the probability and the consequence of the strike. No measures are known that will lessen the probability of a strike, short of moving the structure to a different location. Buildings located on the top of a mountain or hill will increase the probability of a strike over those that are not. Also, the size and height of a structure will increase this probability when compared to surrounding structures, as will a building's proximity compared to smaller or shorter ones. Metal roof panels do not attract lightning more or less than any other roof covering. Two direct quotes are from MCA Technical Bulletin 1040, "the probabilities of a strike to a metal roofed structure are no more or less than any other kind of structure, as these probabilities have to do with height and size of the structure and its surroundings, rather than its construction materials."

Metal roofs do not attract lightning. The consequence of a lightning strike on a structure can be minimized if materials are electrically conductive, thus minimizing fire and explosion damage to the building and occupants. "Because metal roofing is both an electrical conductor, and a noncombustible material, the risks associated with its use and behavior during a lightning event make it the most desirable construction material available." The closing paragraph of the technical bulletin states that, "it may, in some cases, be prudent to consider lightning protection. A lightning protection system provides for a continuous conductor from earth to sky (and visa versa) so that the electrical charge is furnished an obvious path through which to flow, thereby reducing the risk to (electrically) resistive construction materials and human life."

Russell Kanning

if we had some metal leading from the roof around the house to the ground ... we would almost have one of those cages :)

49 degrees today babe  :toothy2: and :sunny:
the reflections from the snow and panels will be like a tanning bed today

Russell Kanning

stairs cut tuesday
rest of roof up today

Tom Sawyer

I'm drinkin' whiskey to get my courage up.  ;D

41mag

It'll be a few weeks before I've got some time to get out there.