• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

RidleyReport: Yet another alternate currency arises in New Hampshire

Started by Dave Ridley, January 20, 2008, 10:02 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

sandm000

Ron Helwig

While I am doubtful about the currency's acceptability, I welcome any and all free market competition.

yonder

I would say it is ridiculous to print currency with no backing out of thin air, but apparently the concept is already in wide circulation.

sandm000

Puke

That is a working design.
James hasn't finished fleshing out all of the details yet.

sandm000

I can't listen at work, so I didn't want to watch the video, but then I got really curious about what was in the video, so while I was watching, I took some screen caps.  If they aren't right, I'm sorry.  I didn't have any audio cues as to what they were.

Dave Ridley

Someone on the wendymckelroy.com site suggested the hampshire should have a symbol. 

i was thinking maybe }{

for instance maybe a loaf of bread would cost

}{30

another thought:  the existence of a new "small change" currency could actually help with the penny and nickel shortage fears washington is experiencing.

but in practice i suspect this will just be traded among friends and liberty lovers, and not all of the latter.

Kat Kanning

KBCraig

Puke

David

Quote from: yonder on January 21, 2008, 02:56 PM NHFT
I would say it is ridiculous to print currency with no backing out of thin air, but apparently the concept is already in wide circulation.

A federal reserve note costs about 6 cents to make, that is its worth, maybe a bit more for retail markup.  it is a fiat currency because the gov't declares it to be worth one dollar, or ten dollars, or twenty. 
The hampshires would be worth its printing costs plus retail markup.  There would be no 'ten dollar' hampshires on a piece of paper that is worth maybe 5-6 cents. 

John Edward Mercier

6 cents?
The FRN is a promissary note. It can be exchanged for US coin (real money) equivalent. Currency is about 'ease of use'; lest we would direct barter. Today FRNs have been replaced with Bank notes and personal notes (checks)... and it appears soon with be replaced with electronic transfers and debit/credit cards.

MobileDigit

I don't understand the point of having a currency where you can just print more.