• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Souter's home to be taken?

Started by jgmaynard, June 28, 2005, 12:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

jgmaynard

Of course, if they had read the post where I posted the satelitte map, they would have read that it was just about possibly planning a NON-VIOLENT demonstration past his house.

This article made it sound like a pre-invasion coup type planning.  :o  ::)

Oh well, the Monitor gets to have their fun, the cops in the area make some money from overtime, and nothing violent happens.

I wonder if my music-fest idea is going to be written up this way? LOL.....

JM

Michael Fisher

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on July 13, 2005, 08:19 AM NHFT
Souter hotel proposal catches fire
Eminent domain ruling has inflamed many
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050713/REPOSITORY/507130307/1221

I've forwarded this news story to all of my press contacts.

Initial replies are that the Concord Monitor story will be copied for at least one of the Seacoast Newspapers.  :)

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on July 13, 2005, 08:19 AM NHFT
Mike Fisher, a Newmarket resident who was recently arrested for performing a manicure without a license, vowed to protect Souter's home even if it means standing in front of bulldozers.

"Even Mr. Souter does not deserve to have his home taken by eminent domain," Fisher wrote on NhFree.com. "Taking away a family's home is immoral."

Too true, Mike.  I'm with you.

shack777

Revenge will always be part of human interaction, because it is part of human nature. We are violent beings from our thoughts and emotions to our leather shoes and steak dinners. Our white blood cells are murderers. We cannot change it. Anger is an emotion we all feel, and suppressing anger is just as dangerous as expressing it, if not more so.

Forgiveness is an excellent human interaction/relationship tool. It allows us to show mercy on people who recognize the error of their ways, and remain friends with those that have done us wrong. But true forgiveness is an emotion, not an action. It's not a thought or a choice, but a feeling. Therefore, it cannot be a moral requirement, and one cannot be judged on whether they are willing to forgive. They cannot be judged as morally wrong for retaliation equivalent to the offense.

There is a difference between "forgiving" and "forgetting." Anger and hate are stressful emotions, and if no good can come from retaliation, sometimes it is best to just let something go. That is NOT forgiveness. That is therapy.

Look at the bigger picture. It?s not just human nature that is violent. NATURE ITSELF is violent. Even plants and worms constantly consume the ?fruit? of other organisms. There are no pacifist lions. They?d simply die off. Humans have a higher capacity to formulate and understand concepts than other animals do, so we try to define and refine the ?laws of nature.? We attempt to set boundaries, such as ?non-violence and non-aggression.? But you can only take it so far. You cannot remove violence from the human race; the best you can hope for is to rein it in a little. ?Control? it, by setting parameters around its use.

You can quote martyrs all day long -- all you?ll end up with is a list of people who were assassinated and a long, driveling scrapbook of naive little one-liners, peaceful and beautiful on the surface, but antagonizing and self-righteous at the core.

There is a reason that those who refuse to fight fire with fire end up dead. It is called weakness. Sure, Jesus, Gandhi, and MLK Jr. were on the moral high ground next to their enemies, but the fact remains that they were weak? easily defeated? they won a battle or two, but lost the war... they were all killed? game-over? checkmate.

Sure, their deaths have inspired millions, but what good does that do them? It shouldn?t matter to you if your death inspires others ? unless you?re a vain, self-righteous hypocrite. You have been defeated. Was your goal ever to win?

Hitler, Stalin, Souter and Bush are strong, but they are morally corrupt. They will destroy anyone who isn?t willing to fight back, playing by their rules. No one ever won a game of chess by saying, ?I?ll move my pieces around the board, but I refuse to 'kill' your pawns.??

Oh, and you can?t change the rules until you can win the game as they are. Losers want the rules changed when they can?t win.

There is nothing inherently wrong with violence. Violence is necessary just as often as diplomacy is. For every person willing to initiate a violent act, there must be at least as many willing to act violently in retaliation, if they are to ever have a chance at victory.

Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Ben Franklin were true heroes. Those who embrace violence, when it is justified, will win the day in the end. God himself is a violent being (for those who believe in hell) ? He?s up in ?heaven? right now, foaming at the mouth, waiting to get his hands on those of us who have ?rejected? him. A lake of fire for eternity is not forgiveness. But who said God is morally required to forgive us? Forgiveness is only for those who seek it, and repent of their evil ways. Souter has not done so. If he publicly announces his mistake and asks to be forgiven, I will consider his request (and his sincerity).

Until then, game on.

Pat K

Well some one is a little tense :o

shack777

:) I'm not tense... Just a little frustrated.

John

Hi shack777, welcome to the forum!

I think that you are wrong about forgivness.  Your first error is in the understanding of the thought "vs." feeeling thing.

Forgivness is in fact a thought and a choice.  The feeling follows.

All feelings are the result of the thought proccess (or, in some cases, the lack thereof.)

John

BTW, I am against the taking of souter's home.  But, not because I do or do not forgive him.

I am against the taking because I will not allow souter to corrupt my veiw that taking private property for "public good" is wrong.  I will not buy into his veiw.

We should be working to TAKE SOUTER'S JOB - NOT HIS HOME.

I would love to see souter sell his home and go back to Washington D.C. (were he - evidently - has grown quite too comfortable.)  He is definatly not a "Live Free" type anymore (if he ever realy was.)

souter has brought great shame to our Great State, and I would love it if he never returned again.

Stop Eminent Domain!  Stop clements!
KEEP NEW HAMPSHIRE FREE!
Impeach souter Now!

PS I know that impeachment is just as unlikely as taking souters home, but what is the principled aproach?  When neither of these things happens, maybe we should just ostacize him.

Stop the Madness!
KEEP NEW HAMPSHIRE FREE!
Stop Eminent Domain In NH!

Pat McCotter

Quote from: John on July 15, 2005, 11:06 PM NHFT

All feelings are the result of the thought proccess (or, in some cases, the lack thereof.)

I see you haven't read "The Feeling of What Happens: Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness" by Antonio Damasio.

Michael Fisher

shack777,

Unilateral forgiveness is real and it is effective.? I do not subscribe to christianity or any other religion, so god's lack of unilateral forgiveness in these religions is meaningless to me.

Forgiveness can be a decision and it can be an emotion.? Decisions can influence emotions and vice versa.? For example, if you choose not to react negatively to stressors, you will not feel stress.

Forgetting without forgiving is bad therapy.

QuoteSure, their deaths have inspired millions, but what good does that do them?? It shouldn?t matter to you if your death inspires others ? unless you?re a vain, self-righteous hypocrite.

Are you listening to yourself?? ???

If I choose to use my life to help others, then I'm a vain, self-righteous hypocrite?? So be it.

jgmaynard

Even if that means that helping Souter, who is partly responsible for this decision, may cause suffering to millions?

JM

AlanM

Quote from: jgmaynard on July 16, 2005, 12:10 PM NHFT
Even if that means that helping Souter, who is partly responsible for this decision, may cause suffering to millions?

JM

The ends do not justify the means. The ends do not justify the means. The ends do not justify the means.

A right is a right is a right is a right.

Lloyd Danforth

This is a special case in which the property owner has said it is OK.  >:D

AlanM

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on July 16, 2005, 12:45 PM NHFT
This is a special case in which the property owner has said it is OK.? >:D

Beware of "special cases".  >:D