• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"Studded" v. "Snow" tires?

Started by PowerPenguin, February 15, 2008, 05:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Puke on February 20, 2008, 05:19 AM NHFT
Has Beth lost her mind?  :P

Oh, is the pirate Beth?  I was trying to figure out who that was!

Raineyrocks

I have all season tires on my van and they seem to be okay except when I couldn't make it up my icy dirt road last year! 

My son came to visit and he kept asking his pregnant girlfriend to get in the back seat to add some weight back there.  That boy's gotta learn you don't mess with pregnant woman especially if your the father! ::)

I carry a shovel and some rock salt thanks to a lot of people's advice on here last year! :)

Beth221

Yarrrr, me mind has been lost for a long time now!!!   :icon_pirat:

Russell Kanning

Quote from: CaveDog on February 17, 2008, 09:01 PM NHFT
Do they still sell studded tires? Seems to me I recalled them being banned because the studs were flying out of tires at high speed like little bullets.

I havn't seen a set of studded tires on a car in years, at least the kind I remember long ago.
I hear them every once in a while. ;)

dalebert

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 24, 2008, 05:32 AM NHFT
Quote from: CaveDog on February 17, 2008, 09:01 PM NHFT
Do they still sell studded tires? Seems to me I recalled them being banned because the studs were flying out of tires at high speed like little bullets.

I havn't seen a set of studded tires on a car in years, at least the kind I remember long ago.
I hear them every once in a while. ;)

You're in Grafton. Those were actual bullets.   ;D

Riddler

my wife runs studded on her frt. wh. drv car, but we run them frt/rear, makes big dif.
pain in the ass is having to chg. tires every season; we don't have xtra rims

kola

Riddler

jus like ahnold in T1.
drivin' thru the plate glass window of your life

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: babalugatz on March 01, 2008, 06:01 PM NHFT
jus like ahnold in T1.
drivin' thru the plate glass window of your life

That should be your sig, trolly. ;D

ByronB

I seem to get around just fine with baldies (actually so bald of tires that I could get a citation) but I don't have any hills to go up since I live in Northern Illinois right now.

slim

Quote from: PowerPenguin on February 15, 2008, 05:21 PM NHFT
Is there a difference between studded and "snow" tires? (See http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/124638/article.html for a mention of 'snow' tires) How useful are one or both of these options, and do you use them yourself? I have "all weather" tires that came with my car (a '01 Forester), and I have very little experience with snow/ice driving. Any tips in this arena would be good. As far as the snow tires go, Do you have to have two sets of tires like you would if you were using studded, or no? I'd rather not have to spend the $ and time having/switching out two full sets of tires all the time if I don't have to, but I'll do it if it really helps with tire grip in winter conditions.

Winter driving skills are probably the most important thing to work on. Snow, Ice, Slush driving is something that I would suggest you practice. A good set of snow or studded tires can help out when you make a mistake and you will make mistakes. I would say if you are driving in winter weather for the 1st or 2nd season get a pair of snow or studded tires they are cheaper then a fender bender bill.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: slim on March 25, 2008, 01:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: PowerPenguin on February 15, 2008, 05:21 PM NHFT
Is there a difference between studded and "snow" tires? (See http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/124638/article.html for a mention of 'snow' tires) How useful are one or both of these options, and do you use them yourself? I have "all weather" tires that came with my car (a '01 Forester), and I have very little experience with snow/ice driving. Any tips in this arena would be good. As far as the snow tires go, Do you have to have two sets of tires like you would if you were using studded, or no? I'd rather not have to spend the $ and time having/switching out two full sets of tires all the time if I don't have to, but I'll do it if it really helps with tire grip in winter conditions.

Winter driving skills are probably the most important thing to work on. Snow, Ice, Slush driving is something that I would suggest you practice. A good set of snow or studded tires can help out when you make a mistake and you will make mistakes. I would say if you are driving in winter weather for the 1st or 2nd season get a pair of snow or studded tires they are cheaper then a fender bender bill.

That's a good idea! :)  I've suffered 2 injuries already without even driving though, I've fallen on the ice twice so far.  The first time on my back and head, the second time I twisted my knee on the way down and am in a knee immobilizer and crutches now. ::)  So now I owe the hospital over $3000.00, it's been a crappy winter!
One thing is not to try to steer your car when it's sliding on ice, right?  What's the use because there's no traction and as soon as you can grab onto something I guess you could try to regain control.  Any other pointers?  What about the damn ice and walking on it?  I have those metal gripers in my boots and that didn't even help.

slim

Quote from: raineyrocks on March 26, 2008, 11:40 AM NHFT

That's a good idea! :)  I've suffered 2 injuries already without even driving though, I've fallen on the ice twice so far.  The first time on my back and head, the second time I twisted my knee on the way down and am in a knee immobilizer and crutches now. ::)  So now I owe the hospital over $3000.00, it's been a crappy winter!
One thing is not to try to steer your car when it's sliding on ice, right?  What's the use because there's no traction and as soon as you can grab onto something I guess you could try to regain control.  Any other pointers?  What about the damn ice and walking on it?  I have those metal gripers in my boots and that didn't even help.

When you go in to a skid on ice first thing to do is to let up on the break and turn the wheel so your tires are pointed in the direction that you want to go and then if you do not have ABS pulse the break by pumping the break easily, if you have ABS the idea is to hit the break and you will feel the peddle pulse and may hear a thumping which is the ABS automatically pumping the breaks. Ice is tricky and the more experience you have will make your reactions better. For example this winter I was driving on a side road with large ditches on both sides of the road and my car began to slide and the winter driving skills took over and it took me 4 times to finally get the car back under control. If that would have happened to me 5 or more years ago I probably would have put the car in the ditch and I have over 10 years of winter driving skills.

I think when I get to NH I will begin offering a service to porcs to practice winter driving and basic winter driving education.

KBCraig

Quote from: slim on March 28, 2008, 10:19 AM NHFT
When you go in to a skid on ice first thing to do is to let up on the break and turn the wheel so your tires are pointed in the direction that you want to go...

Noooo!!! You turn the wheel so that your front tires are pointed in the direction you are going! Only then will they regain traction, so that you can steer and/or brake.

Riddler

fools

always power out of you slide