• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Hey PatK!

Started by Kat Kanning, July 04, 2005, 01:07 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Pat K on January 07, 2009, 09:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on January 07, 2009, 08:55 PM NHFT
Get ready to vomit.

Are you ready?... cause you gonn'a need a bucket...

Sitting with Brad Jardis last week...

He says, you'll get one year in jail for idling your car for more than 15 minutes... it's a Fed. environmental law.

Trucks can idle for 30 minutes, between 32deg. and zero, but they can idle continually under zero degrees.

How about if I idle it for 15 min turn it off and then start
it back up to idle 10 more.

Maybe thats just a misdemeanor.
Its minutes per hour.  NH law is  minutes when above 32 degrees,  15 minutes  between 32 and -10.  One of the exemptions is heating/cooling passengers so i don't think you have much to worry about.

Friday

Quote from: dalebert on January 07, 2009, 08:38 PM NHFT
Better yet, get covered parking.
Covered parking at home requires money.  Covered parking at work requires getting up earlier.  I'll stick with scraping.   :D

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Friday on January 07, 2009, 10:02 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 07, 2009, 08:29 PM NHFT
Start it, turn the heater on high, go get a cup of coffee. Let time be your friend.
Maybe that works in G-Town.  I don't feel comfortable walking away from my car with the key in the ignition in Nausea.

Two keys

Friday

Quote from: Pat K on January 07, 2009, 09:23 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 07, 2009, 09:10 PM NHFT
A thin coat of Bacon Grease on the windshield prior to the ice storm will make scraping easier.

Are you insane? One does not waste precious
Bacon grease in such a frivolous manner.

Besides if you don't clean it all off when you come out
from work you will have to get through all the fat people
licking your windshield.
:Bacon_by_danniep:

dalebert

I've heard cutting a potato and rubbing the potato oil on the windshield makes a nice barrier for water to sheen off. Maybe it works on snow and ice to some extent as well. Also, there is stuph like Rain-X that does the same thing and prolly leaves no visible film. Never did try the potato thing.

Quote from: dalebert on January 07, 2009, 11:05 PM NHFT
I've heard cutting a potato and rubbing the potato oil on the windshield makes a nice barrier for water to sheen off. Maybe it works on snow and ice to some extent as well. Also, there is stuph like Rain-X that does the same thing and prolly leaves no visible film. Never did try the potato thing.
Rain-X is amazing for rain - most race car drivers can not use windshield wipers and use it all the time. Not sure if it will do anything for ice though.

KBCraig

KBCraig

He says, you'll get one year in jail for idling your car for more than 15 minutes...

So he and his cohorts are going to sit there idling to watch and prove that your car was idling for more than 15 minutes?

Friday

Quote from: KBCraig on January 08, 2009, 01:08 AM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on January 07, 2009, 10:04 PM NHFT
Covered parking at home requires money.

Not much.

Um, that might work to keep ice off the car, but finding a place to then put the large, ice-encrusted tarp could be challenging for a 1-BR apartment dweller.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: KBCraig on January 08, 2009, 01:10 AM NHFT

He says, you'll get one year in jail for idling your car for more than 15 minutes...

So he and his cohorts are going to sit there idling to watch and prove that your car was idling for more than 15 minutes?

Of course not, it's completely unenforceable until you get a Northstar System or some other system that keeps track of your car... "if it gets stolen".  They are going to have to pay for that 'keeping track of your stuff' some how. 

They can track your idle time, your speed, how many G's in a turn... do you jam on the brakes or curse at other drivers?  They just have to wait until most car are properly equipped and suddenly there will be money to do enforcement.  By then it will all be computerized so you'll just get a bill every month.

KBCraig

Quote from: Friday on January 08, 2009, 06:51 AM NHFT

Not much.

Um, that might work to keep ice off the car, but finding a place to then put the large, ice-encrusted tarp could be challenging for a 1-BR apartment dweller.

Shake it like you'd shake crumbs off a table cloth, or pop a sheet before making your bed. There will be almost no ice left attached. Wad it up in a big plastic tub in your trunk.

I'm not being flip, we actually do this in the South, where we get far more ice than snow. When an ice storm is coming, you'll see cars in parking lots with the wipers at half mast, holding down cardboard boxes, trash bags, tarps, car floor mats, or anything else that can be trapped over the windshield between the A-pillars.

Friday

Quote from: KBCraig on January 09, 2009, 01:36 AM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on January 08, 2009, 06:51 AM NHFT

Not much.

Shake it like you'd shake crumbs off a table cloth, or pop a sheet before making your bed. There will be almost no ice left attached. Wad it up in a big plastic tub in your trunk.

I'm not being flip, we actually do this in the South, where we get far more ice than snow. When an ice storm is coming, you'll see cars in parking lots with the wipers at half mast, holding down cardboard boxes, trash bags, tarps, car floor mats, or anything else that can be trapped over the windshield between the A-pillars.

Hmmm, I don't know.  I think you're underestimating the quantity of ice.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that parts of my car had at least 1/2 inch.  The drive to work was quite amazing, because these large SHEETS of ice kept breaking off of cars and trucks on the highway, soaring through the air and exploding when they hit the ground; I'm pretty sure I saw Zod imprisoned in one!   :o  (Karma to the first person who gets that reference.)  I was wondering at the time if ice is strong enough to break a windshield, and got the answer the next day when my coworker told me that the ice from her car cracked the windshield of someone's BMW.  Oops!  And she had actually been very conscientious and tried to remove as much ice as she could from the roof of her car.  It never even crossed my mind to spend time removing it from the roof.  Besides, I usually enjoy watching the tailgaters behind me get nailed when my car's snowhat blows off and lands on their hoods.  OK, I'm rambling now, but it's just that it makes me happy knowing how much PatK has to look forward to.   >:D

Lloyd Danforth

There is actually a law in NH mandating cleaning of snow and ice off of cars after a woman was killed a few years ago by ice coming thru her windshield.
Sandy.  Go to a big box and buy a plastic tarp about 8 X 10 or so, and some bungie cord hook thingys in various lengths. When crap falling from the sky is forecast put the tarp on. When you come out to you car you pull off the tarp, fold it up, put it in your trunk and drive away.

Friday

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 09, 2009, 07:31 AM NHFT
There is actually a law in NH mandating cleaning of snow and ice off of cars after a woman was killed a few years ago by ice coming thru her windshield.
Are you sure about that?  Massachusetts does *not* have such a law, and that's pretty pathetic if NH does and MA doesn't.  Also, I live in a large apartment complex and nobody puts a tarp over their car.  If it is a law, I'm guessing few people know about it and it's rarely enforced.  That said, I'll consider the tarp option.

dalebert

Quote from: Friday on January 09, 2009, 07:03 AM NHFTI'm pretty sure I saw Zod imprisoned in one!

This made me LOL. I wonder if some of the youngsters got it.