• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Standing at airport with "Report TSA abuses here" sign?

Started by Dave Ridley, March 12, 2008, 02:44 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

I wanted to bounce an idea off of you guys.  Consider it only a 10 percent likelihood of happening...Since I'm a perfectionist when it comes to civil disobedience, this idea will have to pass muster with dozens of you and also with average people, before I decide to run with it.

What if I were to touch base with the local TSA and inform them I will be appearing at a given time near an airport checkpoint.  I'd be wearing a sign that reads something like:  "Report TSA abuses here - NHFree.com"   I'd stay out of the way.  Perhaps I bring a camera and interview passengers who come up to me.  Perhaps I reserve the right to photograph any mistreatment of citizens by the homeland security folks.  Probably I do not try to videotape the checkpoint itself unless something controversial happens there.

Most probably of all...assuming this really happens... I get arrested before I"m able to interview anyone.  And we just plan on that.

The main problem I see with this idea right now is it could *maybe* get in the way of anti-Real ID efforts....It could blur the message.  I mean, I would rather get arrested for trying to fly with an NH license...than for the above idea.   So I'd probably want to do this idea only if  there is no Real ID crackdown.   If there is a real id crackdown, i'd want to do the NH license flight instead.  I'm not interested in doing both.    And of course, as I say, there may be some other problem that crops up with this idea once it starts getting vetted.

Menno pointed out that I'd be on private property ...which raises a potential moral issue.  but I pointed out that the airport seized some of its land through forced eminent domain grabs.  Even without the land seizures it strikes me as quasi-public, hardly pure private property.

I would rather go up against the state govt. as they are easier to influence, and I've already done Washington once.  But the feds appear to be the entity giving us the best civil dis softballs.

What are your thoughts?

J’raxis 270145

Not only eminent domain, but the airlines and airport receive a massive amount of tax dollars in order to function. I think this is a good example where the "private property" label doesn't really apply, technical legal status notwithstanding.

It reminds me of the situation with Boston's public transit system: 70-75% of their yearly revenues are through taxes, yet they can still legally claim to be "private property" when they want to toss someone off a train or forbid people from taking photos of the stations.

Coconut

What is the legality of recording or taking pictures of the security checkpoint? I remember in 2003 I was taking a picture of my family when we first got to the airport. The checked luggage security scanner happened to be behind them and I was informed, kindly at least, that taking photos of that machine was illegal.

Kat Kanning

I think it's a great idea and would be happy to go along to take pictures or whatever. I don't think they would arrest you.  What's happened when Russell or I have held signs inside the airport has been mostly nothing. One time he was hassled by the troopers who tried to tell him to leave, but just caved when he refused.

Russell Kanning

Private Property? All airports are owned by cities.
Menno will find a reason to not do this .... do not wait for the all clear signal.

This is a most excellent idea. No reason to worry about it ruining a future thing. You can do the RealID one whenever you get out of jail. :)
Sitting in the airport with my sign pointed toward the poor people in line, was very nonthreatening to passers, but a consternation to the thugs. Your sign is just that much better in that situation.

People might be afraid to report anything to you .... they will be under the watchful eye of big brother.

I think I will make a small sign like that for monday. :)

Russell Kanning

The manchester UL photographer has already beaten them .... and takes pictures of their lines any time he wants.

Dave Ridley

dont get me wrong about menno...he's supportive of the idea but wasn't as supportive until i mentioned the eminent domain seizure. 

Russell Kanning

the "owns" the airport, "protects" the airport, taxes to support the airport .... when they arrest you for "tresspassing" they are the prosecuter, "victim", judge, jury, sentencer, and punisher.

Russell Kanning

if possible it would be great to film you with your sign

Kat and I will have one on Monday

Dave Ridley

what do you think would be the best, and best documented, grievances to bring up when conducting such an event? original mainstream sources would be welcome.

these were the ones I thought were best off the top of my head.

- Theft of valuables
- Excessive expenditure of tax dollars
- Deployment of Islamic militants as baggage screeners
- Severe restrictions on the most fundamental of human rights...the right to posess water. 

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: DadaOrwell on March 14, 2008, 12:27 PM NHFT
what do you think would be the best, and best documented, grievances to bring up when conducting such an event? original mainstream sources would be welcome.

these were the ones I thought were best off the top of my head.

- Theft of valuables
- Excessive expenditure of tax dollars
- Deployment of Islamic militants as baggage screeners
- Severe restrictions on the most fundamental of human rights...the right to posess water. 

-groping of the elderly
-pain involved in removing shoes, jackets, clothing
-psychological harm involved in stifling self from knocking down and walking over TSA employees.
-forced rescheduling of events
-wasting time
-delaying flights
-missing flights

kola

depriving young babies of inadequete amounts of milk.

causing anxiety to some people who are already overly-anxious and take meds to keep calm.

exposure to radiation from scanning devices.

Russell Kanning

groping fondling ogling

making people look like jews putting all their shoes into piles and waiting their turn in line

freedominnh

That land is not private in any way shape or form nor is it private at the more than 9,000 facilities where commercial jets take off and land across this land.... 

Russell Kanning

the guvment likes to control transportation and communication