• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Revoking my Libertarian Party “Life Membership”, a.k.a. Politics Sucks!

Started by FTL_Ian, April 28, 2008, 05:46 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Some drugs in your drink, a short ride in the trunk of a car..........we'll take care of it Dan

Dylboz

mackler

David

Quote from: mackler on May 02, 2008, 09:58 AM NHFT
"Libertarian Party" is an oxymoron.
My friend, you either haven't been to porcfest, or you have forgotten.   ;D  It is possible to herd cats, just make the beer and catnip free.   ;)

mackler

Quote from: David on May 02, 2008, 10:53 AM NHFT
Quote from: mackler on May 02, 2008, 09:58 AM NHFT
"Libertarian Party" is an oxymoron.
My friend, you either haven't been to porcfest, or you have forgotten.   ;D  It is possible to herd cats, just make the beer and catnip free.   ;)

I've been to porcfest.  I didn't realize it was a party convention.  I must have been in the restroom when the candidates were being nominated.

Tom Sawyer

That's where the nominations and voting are held. You place your vote in the commode.

mackler

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on May 03, 2008, 05:52 AM NHFT
That's where the nominations and voting are held. You place your vote in the commode.

If you're saying that going to PorfFest and relieving myself in the toilet has the same effect on our political system as going to an LP convention and nominating a candidate, I can't say I disagree with you.

Friday

OK, I've been intentionally ignoring this thread, partly out of conflict of interest (do I congratulate Ian, or do I put on my Party hat and graciously tell him (purely in false professional mode, that is) that the LPNH isn't *like* that and why doesn't he come to one of our meetings and get to know us?), and partly out of fear it would upset me.  Sometimes I am loyal to a fault, and even when I've intellectually given up on something/someone, still have a knee-jerk response of outrage when that thing/person is badmouthed.  But, since I was working on catching up on my email last night (I am now two weeks behind  :P ), I got a pretty good idea of what recent events triggered Ian's decision.  And since Dave "outed" me last weekend, to both of our surprise (he doesn't read my blog, and I generally don't watch his videos (nothing against his videos, I just don't find the time); we were just trying to make another "Moved to New Hampshire" ridleo), I figured, what the hell, I'll read and respond to this thread.

So... (geez, the parenthetical asides are running amok in this post, aren't they??)

I agree with you, and with LNC rep Angela Keaton (who was the keynote speaker at the LPNH's convention last fall) that not only has the LP moved far from its original philosophical foundation, it may actually be doing more harm than good at this point.  Personally, I've always been big on the education-and-outreach, as opposed to the winning-elective-office, aspects of the party.  But over the past few years, efforts have been made to not only distance the party from that original goal (among others) of David Nolan, but to perform revisionist history and deny that that ever *was* a stated goal of the Party.

Readers of my blog may recall that I briefly quit the party in disgust two years ago after the gutting of the platform at the Oregon convention.  Then I decided that fighting back was a better response.  Since then, I've run for and been elected to the leadership of the LPNH, joined the LP Radical Caucus, signed the Restore'04 pledge, yadda yadda.  But at this point, I am *not* optimistic about either a resurrection of the platform or the selection of a Presidential candidate who doesn't publicly express policy positions that are in direct contradiction of the party pledge, so...

congratulations on your public statement, Ian!   :clap:

I could really take the gloves off  :boxing: and share some of the things I've seen, heard, and tried in vain to repress, as an active member of the LPCal and LPNH over the past few years, but let's just say that it's truly pathetic how some people will sell their souls for so very, very little.  :(

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Friday on May 09, 2008, 04:19 PM NHFT
congratulations on your public statement, Ian!   :clap:

I could really take the gloves off  :boxing: and share some of the things I've seen, heard, and tried in vain to repress, as an active member of the LPCal and LPNH over the past few years, but let's just say that it's truly pathetic how some people will sell their souls for so very, very little.  :(

Thanks!  That sounds just like the LP.

Russell Kanning

I am glad I haven't been at any of those LP meetings. :)
I think The Shire has a libertarian party ... or was that parties?

David

we have many parties, where those that call themselves libertarians attend and have fun. 

Jim Johnson

Kat Kanning

I think I sent the Barr campaign enough rude responses that they stopped sending me press releases.

Vitruvian

Quote from: Facilitator to the IconLibertarians Pick Barr as Presidential Nominee

This could signify the death of the Libertarian Party, a reason to celebrate as far as I'm concerned.