• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Banking advice?

Started by maulotaur, May 30, 2008, 01:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

maulotaur

I have been with the same bank for many years but find that it does not exist in NH.  Is it normal now to require fingerprinting or other biometrics to open an account?  I want to check into this when I come up in a couple of weeks so any advice would be helpful!

-Paul in VA

David

My bank did not require any biometrics.  They all to my knowledge require ID. 

K. Darien Freeheart

The PATRIOT Act requires that banks get certain information, but no biometric stuff yet. Bank of America DOES take a picture, but that's because it's printed on your debit card as an added security feature (though, retailers seldom use it).

kola

why in the world would anyone want a debit card?

kola

Coconut

Quote from: kola on May 30, 2008, 04:38 PM NHFT

kola

To not owe money to someone else?

kola

why not pay with cash  check or money order?

Coconut

Quote from: kola on May 30, 2008, 08:10 PM NHFT
why not pay with cash  check or money order?

I don't always have enough cash, and I don't want to write a check. Gas pumps don't take cash or check unless I go inside and prepay, but they take cards. Also much easier to pay for things online with debit vs. check.

kola

I see. I guess I am old. I do not use credit cards or debits and try to pay cash as often as possible. I have a hard time even thinking of using a credit card online and/or having a bank account on the internet. I guess I am like an 80 year old who can't understand why people need cellphones.

I guess I just dislike the whole idea of every personal transaction someone makes is being processed and recorded somewhere and anyone (theif or Big gov) can gain access to it. IMO it is a surefire way to eventually get rid of cash and keep track of everyones earnings.

Pretty soon they won't be a choice. You will have to use a "card" to purchase anything. Hmm..sounds kinda like REAL ID card huh?

nah!

Kola

Puke

Convenience and theft protection.

Pat K

That big roll of hundreds makes my but hurt.

Coconut

Quote from: Puke on May 30, 2008, 08:40 PM NHFT

Convenience and theft protection.

Actually everything I hear says credit cards have better theft protection. They have zero liability policies and things. Debit cards they can rip whatever is in your checking account and you won't be paid back. Then again, that could never happen to me right? That's also what I thought about my bike getting taken until 2 weeks ago.

Maybe tyou didn't mean credit vs debit, but card vs cash

Puke

Quote from: Coconut on May 30, 2008, 08:50 PM NHFT

Maybe tyou didn't mean credit vs debit, but card vs cash

Yes, I meant that if I lose my wallet I can cancel the card and not worry about losing a wad of cash.

dalebert

I think there's some protection on debit cards. Problem is the money is gone from your account and may not be returned until sometime later. With a credit card, you're not expected to pay the fraudulent debt at all while they're investigating to be sure it is actually fraud by someone other than the card-holder. I had someone intercept my checkbook at the post office and spend over $1000 from my account and it took the bank over a month to put the money back.

41mag

Quote from: Pat K on May 30, 2008, 08:50 PM NHFT
A few ounces of gold would be easier to carry.  :)  Bit hard to buy a beer with it though.

Or you could just let me hold on to it for you.   >:D

Pat K

Quote from: 41mag on May 30, 2008, 09:03 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on May 30, 2008, 08:50 PM NHFT
A few ounces of gold would be easier to carry.  :)  Bit hard to buy a beer with it though.

Or you could just let me hold on to it for you.   >:D

Yeah now all I got to do is get a roll of hundreds.
Like we always say =If you need change of a hundred,
you don't need change you need a body guard.