• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Coconut pulled over

Started by slim, June 18, 2008, 06:37 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

So people can't figure out it is noon by them selves?

NJLiberty

We had the sirens here too when I was a kid, before they all switched over to scanners. They blew the siren every day at noon to test it to make sure it was working properly. When it went off other times, the number of times it sounded indicated what type of emergency it was. When I was real little and we still practiced hiding under our desks in case of nuclear attack, there was a separate air raid siren that they only sounded when we were practicing that we were being attacked by the Soviets.

George

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: Coconut on June 18, 2008, 08:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on June 18, 2008, 07:54 PM NHFT
That sucks.  Plan to pay it or resist it somehow?

Good question. I'm still in the angry stage. Tomorrow will be the regretful/self-blame stage. By the weekend I can start thinking clear on it again. I'm a safe driver; I don't go pushing the pedal to the floor. I was going what I figured the car about 100 feet ahead of me was going. I can't say anything for certain, but in the 15 minutes since I said I was slightly toying with the idea of not paying... I've been more than slightly. This year might be a good time in my life to go the Manning/Krause route. I was hurting nobody and putting nobody in danger.

Fortunately it looks like it would be in Keene, so hopefully I would have some support if I did that.
How far we're you over the posted limit? I think a judge would find in your favor in that you did not know the posted limit and were travelling at pervailing (car in front) speeds.

Coconut

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on June 22, 2008, 06:51 AM NHFT
Quote from: Coconut on June 18, 2008, 08:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on June 18, 2008, 07:54 PM NHFT
That sucks.  Plan to pay it or resist it somehow?

Good question. I'm still in the angry stage. Tomorrow will be the regretful/self-blame stage. By the weekend I can start thinking clear on it again. I'm a safe driver; I don't go pushing the pedal to the floor. I was going what I figured the car about 100 feet ahead of me was going. I can't say anything for certain, but in the 15 minutes since I said I was slightly toying with the idea of not paying... I've been more than slightly. This year might be a good time in my life to go the Manning/Krause route. I was hurting nobody and putting nobody in danger.

Fortunately it looks like it would be in Keene, so hopefully I would have some support if I did that.
How far we're you over the posted limit? I think a judge would find in your favor in that you did not know the posted limit and were travelling at pervailing (car in front) speeds.

54 in a 35 was the charge.  I intend to ask the officer in court if I made any clear attempt to slow down when I saw him, which I did not, because I was unaware that I was breaking the law. What I'm wondering now is: if I'm going to refuse to pay their ransom, do I tell the judge I'm not paying after I plead my case, or after he comes to a verdict? David did it during his testimony, which I think had an effect on the "fine" the judge imposed on him.

John Edward Mercier

If I remember correctly Dave was found guilty of non-registration then the fine was partial suspended. The guilty finding means points... which can affect things like insurance costs.

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: Coconut on June 18, 2008, 07:11 PM NHFT
As anyone who heard my Porc411 call knows, I was victimized in Walpole. I was unsure of the "limit" and traveling at a safe speed. I'm starting to believe in this Law of Attraction thing, only because I drive in dread of being pulled over, and follow the speeds when I know them, and it still happens when I'm being careful. I will send in a Not Guilty, but I'm not sure of my angle after that... slightly (slightly!) toying with the idea that I won't play along with this extortion anymore.

I may have finally remembered to audio record the interaction. It's not too interesting though.

officer-"What's the speed limit?"
Coconut-"Not sure."
"What's your speed."
"not sure.... zero right now."

Here are some suggestions how one might answer the officer's opening question, bearing in mind that A) There is no one right way to answer, B) There are no guarantees what the outcome might be no matter what you do or say (with some imput from Bald Eagle):

"Before I answer that question, can you please tell me the probable cause for your stopping me? Is that a crime in this State? Thank you for ascertaining that I haven't committed a crime. May I go now?"
"Why, officer? Was I going too slow?"
"Why, officer? Are you suggesting that I was traveling in an unsafe manner?"
"Are you investigating a crime? And if so, how may I help you?"
"Am I legally required to answer that question?"
[Silence]
"I'd like to speak to my attorney/lawyer."
"I'm sorry, but I choose not to waive my Fifth Amendment Right."
"I'd like to help you, but my legal counsel says I shouldn't engage in a conversation with a police officer."
"Is this a Terry search, or a fishing expedition?"
"Isn't it a little late/cold/wet/dark for a fishing expedition?"
"Is this a voluntary encounter? Am I being detained?"
"Before I answer that question, can you please tell me your capacity? (Are you a State Trooper, _____ City Police Officer....?) When you became a State Trooper/Police Officer, did you or did you not take an oath to support, defend and uphold the Constitution for the United States and the Constituition for the State of New Hampshire? [If he sidesteps the question] Was that a yes or no? [When he says yes] Are you going to uphold that oath right here and right now with me?"
"Can you please speak louder? Millions on YouTube are watching."
"Sir, have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal saviour?"
"Hello Officer, my name is Russell Kanning."
"Aren't you the guy who arrested Russell Kanning / Lauren Canario?"