• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Those damn daddy long leg spiders are back!

Started by Raineyrocks, August 09, 2008, 01:45 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

I don't know if any of you remember when I posted about them being all over the doors and in the house last year but here I go again!  So far Rick and Jon have carried out over 11 of them in 2 weeks! :o

I was just going pee and I saw one on the wall!  I always check the toilet, seat, and lid before I sit down because of them and plus those stories I've read of snakes in people's toilets.   :o

I'm going to freak out if one of them puts a long leg on me to climb on me, I'm so scared right now! :help:

Pat McCotter

11 in 2 weeks! That's less than 1 a day! At those dams I worked in up there we had to carry a stick to clear the webs out as we went - every day!

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat McCotter on August 09, 2008, 02:14 PM NHFT
11 in 2 weeks! That's less than 1 a day! At those dams I worked in up there we had to carry a stick to clear the webs out as we went - every day!

Damn those dams! :D  This isn't supposed to be a mathematical thing this is about terror, darn it! ;D

Pat McCotter

Raineyrocks

Lex

Those long leg spiders are rather tasty.  :Bacon_by_danniep:     :liquid_smoke:

Bring them to me, although I prefer to eat them live! :tiphat:

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 09, 2008, 05:44 PM NHFT

Eeeww!  I'm not traveling in a car with them! :o  At least I hope they didn't make it into my van yet.

On a serious note, I was at the produce place today and as I was picking out some peaches this big daddy long leg came crawling up but he/she had a different color face, I guess that's what their round part is called.  It was black with white stripes on it, are some of these poisonious?   I never saw one that looked like that yet. 

David

I have never heard of anyone being bitten or poisoned by one.  They are harmless.  I like them, (not to eat though) because they don't look quite like normal bugs.  They have that neat little pod shaped body.  I believe they eat insects, so you want them in/near any gardens you have. 

dalebert

If it makes you feel any better, Mythbusters busted the myth that they're extremely poisonous. Thy myth seems to come from the fact that they're just not very aggressive at all and are very unlikely to bite you so it's easy to scare people who don't know of anyone who was ever actually bitten by one to be able to know what would happen. They went to a great deal of effort using LOTS of them to get some bites and the bites were extremely minor; hardly even comparable to a mosquito bite if I recall.

KBCraig

Quote from: raineyrocks on August 09, 2008, 05:00 PM NHFT
This isn't supposed to be a mathematical thing this is about terror, darn it! ;D

If it makes you feel better by comparison, there's a local newspaper article here today warning that we're on the verge of another 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2BrxLaj5Ac

Lloyd Danforth

Ya gotta eat like a hundred of em to taste anything

Lex

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 10, 2008, 06:02 AM NHFT

Ya gotta eat like a hundred of em to taste anything

That's why I need all the long leg spiders I can get my mouth on! There are just not enough of them in Grafton.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: David on August 09, 2008, 09:02 PM NHFT
I have never heard of anyone being bitten or poisoned by one.  They are harmless.  I like them, (not to eat though) because they don't look quite like normal bugs.  They have that neat little pod shaped body.  I believe they eat insects, so you want them in/near any gardens you have. 

The doors and windows are covered!  :o  3 of them dropped down on my daughter's foot today, yuk!  We don't kill them though but I don't like them.  One was climbing up the dining room wall a few minutes ago towards my favorite spider and his/her web, do they eat spiders?  My son put it outside.  I don't want them to kill my little spiders that have webs in the corners because they have tons of gnats and stuff in their webs.

See as long as spiders stay away from me I like them but not when they are plastered all over the doors that I need to use and try to drop down on my body.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: dalebert on August 09, 2008, 09:56 PM NHFT
If it makes you feel any better, Mythbusters busted the myth that they're extremely poisonous. Thy myth seems to come from the fact that they're just not very aggressive at all and are very unlikely to bite you so it's easy to scare people who don't know of anyone who was ever actually bitten by one to be able to know what would happen. They went to a great deal of effort using LOTS of them to get some bites and the bites were extremely minor; hardly even comparable to a mosquito bite if I recall.

Thanks Dalebert, it makes me feel a little better! :)   Eeew. so they do bite, yuk!  I hate mosquito bites too but in my mind I picture daddy long legs to have gigantic fangs, it's just a mental imagery problem I have.  I have the same images with wasps, bees, ect. :o

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on August 10, 2008, 02:20 AM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on August 09, 2008, 05:00 PM NHFT
This isn't supposed to be a mathematical thing this is about terror, darn it! ;D

If it makes you feel better by comparison, there's a local newspaper article here today warning that we're on the verge of another 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2BrxLaj5Ac

Great! ::)  There has been something that sounds real big chewing in the walls, I've heard it for about 3 weeks now!  Why me?