• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Auto mods

Started by rmodel65, August 31, 2008, 05:43 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Toadstool

Quote from: MaineShark on December 30, 2008, 09:01 AM NHFT
Quote from: neggy on December 22, 2008, 03:42 PM NHFTThere are physical reasons for the 35% transparency threshold, among those are being able to see out the windows when pulling out of a side street. I've seen tint so dark I'd be afraid to be near the car at night knowing the driver has limited vision out the sides and back.

Depends upon your eyes.  I've worn regular sunglasses, with clip-on sunglasses over them, while driving on a moonless, overcast night.  Because otherwise, I was being blinded by the headlights of the other cars, and having your vision washed out for a few seconds at highway speeds would be far more dangerous than tinted windows.

Quote from: neggy on December 22, 2008, 03:42 PM NHFTSo anyway, there is another reason, that is much less public, and that is cops.
They hate tinted windows because they can't see in the car when they approach it.
Now I am no fan of law enforcement, but I don't want to see anyone blown away by some gang banger using the tinted windows as cover. Some states have a law that requires you to turn your interior lights on if stopped at night.

I don't want to see anyone "blown away by some gang banger," either.

Maybe cops should stop attacking people, and they wouldn't be at risk of that, then?  Seems like a better solution...

Joe
I always like how when I get pulled over for no reason at all, they just bored and like my car... they always have  a hand on their gun,  Thats so nice.
Even if it was a speeding pull, for 10 mpg over.  does he need to let me know he can shot me in 9 seconds from time his hands on his gun til shot.

Its really odd.
You have to play with cops like 1st dates.... get em to laugh and your good.  But some are stuck up and will snob ya off...  I love analogies? sp

KBCraig

Quote from: neggy on December 22, 2008, 03:42 PM NHFT
There are physical reasons for the 35% transparency threshold, among those are being able to see out the windows when pulling out of a side street. I've seen tint so dark I'd be afraid to be near the car at night knowing the driver has limited vision out the sides and back.

The limit has nothing to do with seeing out, it's only about seeing in. "Officer safety", you know, also known as "we want to be able to visually search your car without actually opening the door."

My house windows have 0% tint, but I can't see out right now because it's brighter inside than out. Simple physics. Reverse things, where the only light inside is the dim dashboard glow, and outside there are bright street lights, oncoming car lights, etc., and I'll see out just fine, while those on the outside can't see in.

sandm000

Is this thread about mods we have or mods we want?
I want Lambo doors on my saturn.

The cops usually only know the more general "mod laws" such as tint. They really have no way to tell if your car is too loud on the spot. In some states it is illegal to do anything aftermarket to your car. I've had far from stock vehicles in a couple different states now and luckily I've never gotten a ticket for any modifications done to my cars. When my car is done I'll have a '75 280Z with a different motor, no front bumper and no power robbing restrictions on my exhaust. The turbo will do most of the work to keep things quiet. I'm not too concerned about what the laws will let me do, but it would be good I guess to at least know how many I'll be breaking.

Are there statewide emissions laws in NH? Is it part of the inspection process?

From past experience FL has no inspection or emissions... Same with OH.
PA mandates annual inspection, but emissions are reserved for certain counties, that I've never had a car registered in.

Pat McCotter

NH has annual inspection. Emission tests are on 2005 and later vehicles - ODBII plug-in test.

And BTW - Spark plugs are for pussies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLbN45c44Q8

The Nissan diesel fits the 240Z transmission without an adapter plate. Also, the motor mounts are the same.

Pat K

MaineShark

Quote from: Pat McCotter on April 17, 2009, 01:23 AM NHFTNH has annual inspection. Emission tests are on 2005 and later vehicles - ODBII plug-in test.

Translation for those who aren't tech-savvy: if your check engine light is not on, you almost certainly pass.  They don't hook your car to an external tester - they just read the error codes in your car's on-board computer.  If your car says that it's healthy, they believe it.

Quote from: Pat McCotter on April 17, 2009, 01:23 AM NHFTAnd BTW - Spark plugs are for pussies!

Indeed.  I don't know if I'm ever buying another gasser.  Diesel just plain rocks...

Joe

I didn't know they made the L series motors in a diesel app.

Toadstool

Quote from: Andrew on April 15, 2009, 02:05 PM NHFT
The cops usually only know the more general "mod laws" such as tint. They really have no way to tell if your car is too loud on the spot. In some states it is illegal to do anything aftermarket to your car. I've had far from stock vehicles in a couple different states now and luckily I've never gotten a ticket for any modifications done to my cars. When my car is done I'll have a '75 280Z with a different motor, no front bumper and no power robbing restrictions on my exhaust. The turbo will do most of the work to keep things quiet. I'm not too concerned about what the laws will let me do, but it would be good I guess to at least know how many I'll be breaking.

Are there statewide emissions laws in NH? Is it part of the inspection process?

From past experience FL has no inspection or emissions... Same with OH.
PA mandates annual inspection, but emissions are reserved for certain counties, that I've never had a car registered in.

ok few months old... BUT!  I just peeped this. and Andrew got me at 75 280z.  I love Datsun/ nissan! lol.  what motor you swapping into it? bigger turbo?  I sold a guy a rb26dett for a 240z in mass. he has like 650rwhp in it its so WONDERFUL! to see.  money green paint!

turbos do keep noise down. bigger snail less noise! great trade off!
glad liberty lovers and datsun nissan fans are one and same!

Just an L28et that I got for dirt cheap, but spent a lot of hours cleaning it up, strengthening it, and installing some new goodies at a machine shop back in PA. My move to NH really sent the project to a temporary halt, but I just started my new job last week. In a couple weeks or so when paychecks start coming in, I'll be shopping for some parts and then its back to work on it. 

Toadstool

and this is what the engine hoist is for... Im so in. lol.
lmk when your ready. I have a place here at my house you can do it if need be. i LOVE nissans. Ill send you some info and shit.
I drift here and there at lil events in NY,NJ... if your interested lmk.  we are heading out to NJ tom night, HUGE EVENT! East coast bash 3 all the grassroots drivers go and PARTY , I mean drive. and ahhh hang out. 

Pics of said cah? pm me it/