• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I was banned from Murphy's Taproom

Started by Mike Barskey, October 28, 2008, 08:50 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Barskey

Tonight at Taproom Tuesday, Keith politely banned me from his restaurant because I do not tip. I wrote about it here. Bummer. Looks like I will be seeing some of you less frequently, since I really only see you Tuesdays at Murphy's. Hopefully we'll be able to hook up at other events.

Lloyd Danforth

Jared

i think you're a super cool guy, but i probably would have done the same. ill have to side with keith on this one.

KBCraig

While I think Murphy was out of line to actually ban you, I also think you're out of line when it comes to tipping. I read your blog from 2007, and it sounds like you're looking for an excuse.

Oh, and you're also incorrect when you said that "the government has a law saying that restaurant owners must pay their tip-receiving wait staff exactly $3.00 per hour - no more and no less." The "no less" part is true, but there is no upper limit for paying people who also receive tips.

Lloyd Danforth

Banning someone for not tipping seems pretty extreme. I tip, but, I know its a game.  I only do it because I was on the receiving side of tips once and liked getting them. Restaurants underpay their waitstaff and customers feel bad about it and make up for it with tips.  I  tip (20%) and chide others who don't if they are eating with me, but,  an owner banning someone for not tipping is trite. Keith thinks waiting on tables is only worth 3 bucks an hour, but, we are supposed to value it 15 - 20 % above the total of the check.

ColdSoul

I can see both sides of this. You covered your side well, but there is also plenty that falls on the side of the owner (Keith).

While I support your right to not tip, I support his right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. My one question is that you NEVER tip? If you never tip to me that just seems wrong as it is a good way to show that someone being extra nice, and trying to make sure you have everything in order, or get the best deal then you are doing other customers a disservice due to lowering the incentive to be a good worker. Yes the business owner could provide incentives but aren't you the best judge if you received good service?

I have tipped fast food workers (like at MCD's) and such not because of any obligation, or feeling of pity or something, but because they went the extra mile to be nice when they were busy and ensured they got my order right. When I go to a place if they treat me like nobody then they get what they deserve, but if they treat me well I want to reward that behavior.

Also if he raised the wages of the workers then wouldn't he have to raise the rate of drinks and such? So it's not like your not getting a benefit (I.E. cheaper food and drinks) from the 3.00HR waiter/ess being paid less. Just seems sorta wrong like taking money from the government but not putting in, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I guess it's a tricky situation, and as I said I support your right not to tip, and the owners right to refuse you service if you decide not to but you are the one who has a post on here so I wanted to defend the owner some. But if I was the owner I think I would have just said simply if you don't feel the need to tip at all even if you get great service then you shouldn't come to my business. If you said you would be willing to tip if the service was good and you just didn't feel it was up to par, but if I saw you receive good service and still not tip then I think banning might be appropriate. Or maybe I would up the rate of everything that you purchase and only you purchase to include the tip and you could either pay it, or not so that way it was fair to those who do tip. Of course a sign saying "tipping mandatory" if it is should be up.

Tom Sawyer

Sounds like the libertarian pitfall of an incident that turned into a debate about tipping, and then the fact that someone altered a bill got lost (or at least glossed over).

Twice having a bill altered...

Toadstool

all I can say in this one is...
CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS FUCKING RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Thank you. Enjoy your day.

MengerFan

If you want to see what service is like in the absence of a tipping convention, spend some time in France. It's not pretty.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: MengerFan on October 29, 2008, 02:02 AM NHFT
If you want to see what service is like in the absence of a tipping convention, spend some time in France. It's not pretty.

There is no hell. There is only France.
Frank Zappa
;D

Kat Kanning

I'm with Lloyd, I won't go there again.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 28, 2008, 11:54 PM NHFT
Sounds like the libertarian pitfall of an incident that turned into a debate about tipping, and then the fact that someone altered a bill got lost (or at least glossed over).

Twice having a bill altered...

I wondered about that too. Is he banned because he doesn't tip or because he reads his receipts?  Bob just brang up the point that due ti IRS laws they will be taxed as though they received a 15% tip anyway.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: MengerFan on October 29, 2008, 02:02 AM NHFT
then again ... most service industries do not receive tips ... and you still get service.
not having to tip is one of the reasons I go to restaurants where I order at a counter and pick up my food there also (like all of our village pizza places here in the Shire). I used to get frustrated in california .... why am I paying someone to keep me thirsty?
I don't tip at the grocery store or walmart and usually get friendly service. :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Jared on October 28, 2008, 09:30 PM NHFT
i think you're a super cool guy, but i probably would have done the same. ill have to side with keith on this one.
would you really kick out customers if they didn't tip on credit card bills?
would you add tips to patrons bills after they leave?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Toadstool on October 29, 2008, 01:10 AM NHFT
all I can say in this one is...
CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS FUCKING RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Thank you. Enjoy your day.
I agree with Sam Walton ... the employees are just as important as the customers ... they are all people and they can trade places at any time or be both.
If a customer starts abusing others ... he is not right.