• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NHJobMarket.com

Started by Lex, August 26, 2005, 10:29 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

As long as we don't lose any of the old data as you make changes ...... I think it is ready to let people use it.

We need a way to change profile info.

Maybe we could browse jobs by area .... or we could add a region field so you can search without having to guess the city right. 8)

Russell Kanning

How could we add whole businesses instead of just jobs?

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on September 18, 2005, 07:12 AM NHFT
As long as we don't lose any of the old data as you make changes ...... I think it is ready to let people use it.

Once the database schema settles down and I don't make anymore changes to it we can start entering real data. The problem is that as soon as I decide to keep real data around I can no longer make database changes without having to spend time and writing scripts to reformat the data to fit the new database model. So the goal is to get the database model as stable as possible before allowing people to enter real data.

I'll give you a heads up in my next update if I feel like the database is stable enough to start entering real data.

We need a way to change profile info.

Will work on that today.

Maybe we could browse jobs by area .... or we could add a region field so you can search without having to guess the city right. 8)

Good idea.

In addition I was thinking of integrating Google Maps and actually showing all the jobs on a map of New Hampshire. The neat thing is that it can show you were you live and than all the jobs surrounding you... I don't know when I would get that working though but I've played around with google maps API before so I know it's possible and not too difficult.

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on September 18, 2005, 07:16 AM NHFT
How could we add whole businesses instead of just jobs?

On your dashboard in the "Businesses" section just click "add business". Unless I misunderstood what you ment..

Lex

I just discovered that google AdSense will NOT work on a website that is hidden behind a login. This is somewhat of a setback but maybe it's for the best. Basically I will have to go back and redo a lot of the code so that jobs can be searched without needing to be logged in.

Russell Kanning

yea just login for changing/adding info

where do people see the businesses?

Russell Kanning

wow .... that was wild .... I caught you midstream ;D ..... looked pretty funky

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on September 18, 2005, 04:48 PM NHFT
wow .... that was wild .... I caught you midstream ;D ..... looked pretty funky

Yeah, i'm redesigning it right now so it probably isn't going to work for a while.

Russell Kanning

so .... anything good to report?

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on October 03, 2005, 10:04 AM NHFT
so .... anything good to report?

Well, I'm pretty happy with the redesign (i made it as simple as i possibly could) so I've mostly been working on the functionality. At the same time I am trying to find some extra work to make some extra money so that we have enough to make the trip to New Hampshire next year. Combination of work, more work and getting ready for baby (she's coming anyday now, due date is Oct. 11) are definitely slowing things down.

Russell Kanning

let us all know when the database can be safely filled :)

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on October 03, 2005, 10:30 AM NHFT
let us all know when the database can be safely filled :)

Actually, it's got 1201 job records in the database right now. I wrote a script to shamelessly steal the job list from yahoo! jobs, this is only for testing purposes so I can't imagine they would go after me for that, much less find out about it. I need to improve the searching and add pagination to the search results.

bailey228

Hello, I just wanted to report as Eukreign's project manager. (I.E. wife  ;D ) I recently gave him a list of things that need fixing. I'm trying to get a cattle prod under his arse to get this thing done. (I think all truly brilliant people are lazy, the rest of us have learned that we need to work hard to get stuff done) I'm looking to redo the interface a bit, but I'm not too sure what all he plans on implementing so I don't know how exactly to set it up yet. If I can just get him off the FSP related forums and back to work, we just might see this done before the end of the year  ;) . Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to make the interface look/feel it would be appreciated.

Russell Kanning

The look/feel is fine.

He is also up against a program that Seth is writing. Whoever finishes first will get the users and the attaboys. ;D

Russell Kanning

I like the way it looks now .... nice and clean.

Do I still have an account? ..... getting you used to administrating it :P
..... oh by the way ..... I could help with that end of things if we end up with a lot of users or whatever. 8)