• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NHJobMarket.com

Started by Lex, August 26, 2005, 10:29 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on October 24, 2005, 09:34 AM NHFT
So any news?

Working on pagination right now. Also I'll try to get enough done today so that I can stabalize the database and not have to lose anymore data. At that point I'll start daily backups of the database and you can start entering data as I continue to improve the interface and add features. How does that sound? ;-)

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: The Baron on October 24, 2005, 05:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: katdillon on October 24, 2005, 04:38 PM NHFT
Was he the one previously doing the job?

No, but I'm getting tired of them asking "You want happy ending?"

I guess you would with that deep masculine voice of his.
Did you know he was a champion Skeet Shooter?

Lloyd Danforth

I envisioned Robert Stack asking if you wanted a Happy Ending.

Lex

Okay, pagination is done :-) You can try it out, search for "market" or "job", should give you enough results that you need to page through them. It's set to show 20 jobs per page.

KBCraig

Light and fast. I like the look. The browse-by-city didn't return anything when I clicked it, though.

Kevin

Lex

Quote from: KBCraig on October 25, 2005, 11:26 PM NHFT
Light and fast. I like the look. The browse-by-city didn't return anything when I clicked it, though.

Okay, the browse-by-city now works. Actually I wrote a pretty cool searching feature to make it work.

You can type things like: "manager city:Keene" and it will find all Manager jobs in Keene. For cities that have two words use double quotes, so: "manager city:"Mont Vernon" would find manager jobs in Mont Vernon.

Have fun and please report any bugs.

Advanced Searching: In addition to city: you can also do title: and description:   just keep in mind that if you have several words to put it in double quotes. The search engine works like this: If you specify one of the city, title or description tags than the free form text will not be used to search that string, here are some examples:

If you search for "manager" the database would query like this: (city="manager" or title="manager" or description="manager")
If you search for "manager city:Keene" then query would be: (city="Keene") and (title="manager" or "description="manager")
If you search for "title:manager city:Keene blah" query will be: (city="Keene" and title="manager") and ("description="blah")
And so on...

Eventually there will be LOTS of fields to search on.

KBCraig

Sounds good, but I feel the need for a FAQ/manual with so many options.  :o

I'm a huge fan of slick interfaces (hey, I'm a Mac guy!), so I appreciate the simplicity of your site. I believe slick & simple is the main reason behind Google's success.

Carry on!

Kevin

Lex

Category has been added.

Quote from: KBCraig on October 26, 2005, 03:03 AM NHFT
Sounds good, but I feel the need for a FAQ/manual with so many options.  :o

Well, the cool thing is that you should be able to construct the queries by point and click.

For example:

1. Go into Job Categories.
2. Click Technology.
3. In the job listing click on any Nashua, NH link.
4. You will now see all Technology jobs in Nashua, NH. You will also see that the search string looks like 'category:"Technology" city:"Nashua"'.

So you can either construct queries by clicking around or by typing it in :-)

Lex

To find positions for store manager in Nashua, search for:

store category:"Management" city:"Nashua"

- OR -

Click browse by Category, click Management, then click on a Nashua, NH link, then add "store" somewhere in the search string, click search.

Lex

I think it's safe to say that the database will not undergo any major changes and if it does I will take the time to migrate the data.

So anyone who wants to start putting in real data can do that, I will get rid of all my sample data (shamlessly stolen from yahoo! jobs) when some real data gets put in.

As you enter data please provide feedback on fields and interface, specific suggestions are the best!

Thanks!

Lex

There are two things I can work on next, but I can only work on one at a time, so which do you think should be done first?

Start working on the resume builder and make resumes searchable.

- or -

Add more fields to the job posts and improve the job bosting interface. Here are the fields I have in the database, only a few are exposed on the create job page though, so the rest need to be added:

Title VARCHAR NOT NULL,
    Category VARCHAR NOT NULL,
    JobType VARCHAR, /* Employee, Intern, Seasonal */
    JobStatus VARCHAR, /* Full-Time, Part-Time, Per Diem */
    SalaryAmountFrom NUMERIC,
    SalaryAmountTo NUMERIC,
    SalaryCurrency VARCHAR, /* USD, Libery Dollars, etc */
    SalaryType VARCHAR, /* Per Year, Per Hour, etc */
    Description TEXT,
    Requirements TEXT,

Contact TEXT,
    Address1 VARCHAR,
    Address2 VARCHAR,
    City VARCHAR,
    State VARCHAR,
    ZipCode INTEGER,
    Phone VARCHAR,
    Email VARCHAR,
    Website TEXT,

IsPublic BOOLEAN,

So what should I work on next?

Russell Kanning

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on October 26, 2005, 11:23 AM NHFT
job post side

All the fields have been added, please take a look and provide feedback. Thanks!

Russell Kanning