• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Now is the time to start thinking about gardening for this year.

Started by porcupine kate, November 14, 2009, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine kate

I still have celery, arugula, parsley, sage, and thyme in the garden beds.   
The mums from the wedding last year did great.  They are still flowering and the white ones are huge.  They are approximately 2' x 2'.  They are twice the size they were for the wedding.  I hope they come back next year.

I have more herbs potted in the house along with lettuce.   

I planted the same peas Denice did in August.  They did great.  I love doing a spring and fall planting of peas.  I just wish my yard didn't have such a powdery mildew problem.  Any good ideas on dealing with Powdery Mildew?   

My orange mint, flat leaf parsley and garlic chives all went to seed.  I'm going to replant those and see how they do.
I also need to plant more basil.

I picked up more planters last month to do more container gardening next year.   I wonder how much I can squeeze out of this tiny piece of property.  The deck and porch will be full next year along with the beds.

I will need to find a good deal on delivered compost in the spring.

I still need to do the final clean up of the garden and deal with the leaves.  I haven't yet since my backyard is a little micro climate.  The leaves on the blueberry bushes in the back yard turned red two weeks later than the ones in the front yard. 

I was given 3 old storm windows to make cold frames out of.   I'm going to build them for spring.

I do need to trim some trees soon to get more light in the backyard and remove an overgrown pine in the front yard.

Russell Kanning

cool stories
kat is still getting tomatoes in the greenhouse even though we have had quite a few nights of 15-20 degrees outside
our yellow ones did well also
we loved our peas this spring .... it would be cool to plant some for the fall :)
our neighbor dug up a big new garden for us nearer the house
I think Kat would welcome city folks who would like to garden to plant some stuph somewhere at our place. Contact us if you have no land to work with.
Our worms are making compost for us and Kat repotted her grow boxes. The eggplant was still alive, but wasn't going to grow any new ones, so she planted something else in the bucket.
the carrots are only getting better

Pat K

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

So....the guy was welding and it suddenly occurred to him that his Tomato plant was a threat?

Russell Kanning

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 17, 2010, 07:25 AM NHFT
So....the guy was welding and it suddenly occurred to him that his Tomato plant was a threat?

Hey, it happens.

KBCraig

A friend sent me a link to Skyhorse Publishing, and this was on the front page:

http://www.skyhorsepublishing.com/details.php?TitleID=209

AUTHOR
Brett L. Markham  is an engineer, third-generation farmer, and polymath. Using the methods explained in his book, he runs a profitable, Certified Naturally Grown mini farm on less than half an acre. Brett works full time as an engineer for a broadband ISP and farms in his spare time. His Web site is www.markhamfarm.com. He lives in New Ipswich, New Hampshire.

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Cool!  I know New Ipswich is tropical compared to Grafton, but Artichokes?

Pat K

Russell Kanning

Pat K

Lloyd Danforth

That is the sort of talk that attracts major spring storms!

Pat K

AH some more or less snow now, really ain't gonna make a difference.