• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Where to have the 2nd Liberty Tuesday of each month.

Started by VampireZIM, February 01, 2010, 04:33 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Add to that the possibility that one of the regular members at each meeting will supply a place where said visitor can crash and you add to Fluff's, extremely, strategic suggestion.
Folks on a budget could do a week in NH for gas and whatever meals that we didn't invite them too.

the_liberty_belle

To add my $0.02:

I love the idea of doing a house-party or potluck.  Everybody is on a budget, and nobody wants to give money to the state.  I'd rather go someplace where I don't feel obligated to buy food.

HOWEVER, the advantage of gathering at a restaurant or another business that's "open to the public" is that newbies, people who aren't familiar with the region, and locals can just "drop in" and know that we'll be there. (Just last week we had a couple of people at Liberty Tuesday who were new and drove a long way to get there in an effort to meet people in different regions.)  Also, house parties have some limitations: they can only accommodate so many people.  Sometimes the hosts don't want to invite strangers or specific individuals into their homes.  Sometimes newbies might be deterred by the prospect of going to someone's home that they don't know.

I think having the event at Salt Hill on the last Tuesday of the month and a house party/potluck/game night monthly on another day (as long as it repeats consistently every month) is the best of both worlds. 

About the day: it really doesn't matter to me.  The Salt Hill gathering has been going for... years, as I understand it , and there are locals who drop in sometimes - but they know it's always on the last Tuesday of every month.  I think it's essential to have that consistency. 

I wouldn't mind having the 2nd week-of-the-month event on a non-Tuesday.  The 2nd Monday of the month is fine, but if we do this at someone's home, what matters most is what day is convenient for the host. 

However, no matter what day we do this, it's going to conflict with something.  For instance, there is a MTG night in Manchester on Monday evenings.  Are we dividing the pool of attendees if we gather on Monday nights?  I now get regular invites to two Saturday night events in Keene - Karaoke and Contra Karaoke, for people who don't like karaoke!  Are they dividing the attendees?  The point is that there already are multiple things going on every night for liberty lovers, and that is an excellent problem to have!    If two conflicting events are both well-attended, that's the market speaking.

PattyLee loves dogs

Hi,
Can we modify ballot for including Guisanoes?
I would like you all Freetowners to consider 1 trip a month into the W Leb Miracle Mile restaurant "Guisanoes". Great Mex food primarily, open bar, meeting room. Manager Nick requested that we make his restaurant our home. This is really a great place.
I of course also hate the tax on prepared foods, but love this food so much, it weakens my resolve to  avoid spending  to be taxed.
Also My house is available (close in Plainfield) for this but it still a drive for Freetowners, not bad when you are in Leb.
If I were still a Freetowner I would come in 1 time a month for stuff like groceries at the same time, then it is less wasteful. ::)
Also park/ picnic venues will be an option hopefully soon.     PL

bill_mcgonigle

Total cost is probably the best argument for a pot-luck - somehow I spent $23 for dinner at the last LT and that's without alcohol! (I mean, yes, I was a little piggy, but still..)  There have been several requests for this, but until this thread we lacked a place.  Now we have two!  That's super.

But taxes are somewhat of a strawman unless we're all raising our own food - 22% of that loaf of bread you buy is embedded federal income tax.  More taxes == bad, but we're not getting away from taxation by avoiding restaurants if food is involved.  But we have to eat to survive.

I can't make second Tuesdays, so I'm selfishly all for another day.  But second Mondays I have Zoning Board!  But not every month.  It's a nice spacing though, and if it's announced a few days in advance everybody should be able to find it.  The only problem will be if we wear out our welcome at only two places - let's make an concious effort to rotate the potluck as frequently as we can.

Kat Kanning

I hope zim  doesn't mind...I edited the poll to include Guisanoes and potlucks.  People can change their votes since there's different choices now.

Lloyd Danforth

He's bummed that anyone is discussing any options other than his poll :D

Kat Kanning

jody

Boy, this discussion has moved all over the place.  I agree with the last Tuesday remaining at Salt Hill.  I also agree that the 2nd meeting can, and possibly should, be moved to another day so as not to compete with Manch.  I generally dance on Monday nights, so I probably won't be able to make it if it's on Mondays.  We already have a pot luck on Sunday nights (which is open to everyone, just let us know you're coming), so I would vote against having another meet-up that night.

Gusanoz is an interesting suggestion, though I don't really like the food or the service. However, when I go there for their salsa dances, I feel no pressure to eat -- I usually just order a Sprite, which, if I sit at the bar, they continually fill up for me.  Maybe we can combine the two events. :)  I think salsa is second Saturday.

Personally, we're more likely to go if it's closer to us -- Enfield feels like the far end, though on occasion we'd travel farther of course. But maybe we can learn the back roads through Eastman.

KBCraig

Mike Barskey

I changed my vote to potlucks. I think it would be more fun at people's homes, provide more variety if we rotated homes, be cheaper than eating in restaurants, be more accommodating regarding distance since sometimes people "here" would have to drive far and sometimes people "there" would have to drive far, and be more participatory in that everyone would be making/sharing food.

the_liberty_belle

Hi guys and gals,

We should figure out when and where we're going to do this because the 2nd week of the month is upon us. :)

From following this thread it sounds like there are a lot of people who want to try a potluck, and it's winning the poll, so let's do one this week.  Those who volunteered to host should choose the day that's best for them.  Really, any weekday would work.

I'll promote this on facebook and via Porc411 if the host wishes.

Mike Barskey

We'd like to host the first potluck this week at Hoyt Park (our home in Grafton - contact us for directions), on Wednesday, Feb 10. 5:00p until 10p or 11p - come when you can, leave when you want.

My hope is that each month will be hosted in a different location, so if you drive a long way this time, you might nit have to drive far (or at all) next time. And I think I'll enjoy the relaxed atmosphere in our homes more than in a restaurant. And, if course, it'll be cheaper.

Please bring food, games, music, and a fun mood. See you Wednesday! 

the_liberty_belle

Awesome, Mike!!  Thanks a lot to all the folks at the Hoyt Farm. :)   Should be a great time!

Would you like me to make a facebook event and Porc411 call?

Mike Barskey

Quote from: the_liberty_belle on February 08, 2010, 09:01 PM NHFT
Would you like me to make a facebook event and Porc411 call?

That's a great idea. Please do. And thanks!