• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Where to have the 2nd Liberty Tuesday of each month.

Started by VampireZIM, February 01, 2010, 04:33 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

VampireZIM

We need to vote on where to have the meeting.

Mike Barskey

I've only been to this event at Mickey's upstairs and Mickey's downstairs. I've also been to Salt Hill for other events. I like Salt Hill, but it's 45 minutes away from me: ugh. I like Mickey's, and prefer their downstairs area.

I've not been to Canaan Pizza or the Danbury Inn, but they're both much closer to me, so I wouldn't mind them for the sake of ease. But if an even closer to Grafton would be such a pain in the ass for everyone else in the upper valley, I would rather go further to an event that more people were willing to attend.

I also think it might not be a bad idea to meet at a different location each time, so long as where/when the event was happening each time was communicated clearly and adequately (e.g., in advance).

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: Mike Barskey on February 01, 2010, 04:38 PM NHFT
I also think it might not be a bad idea to meet at a different location each time, so long as where/when the event was happening each time was communicated clearly and adequately (e.g., in advance).

Amen.

VampireZIM

Just my opinion. 

Canaan Pizza has poor seating, bright lighting, ok food, and closes early. 

Mickeys is good upstairs, downstairs is bad seating, bright lights and more than half way to Salt Hill. 

Salt Hill is awesome and not much further than Mickeys.

I havent been to Danbury Inn...

I think having it at a different place each time is a terrible idea, adding inconsistency is always bad for business in meeting situations.

K. Darien Freeheart

So, lemme get something off my chest publicly first. It always irks me just a little bit that we live in a state that taxes prepared food directly and when we gather we pull groups of anti-tax activists into the kind of building that submits funds to the state because of our voluntary choice to be there.

I know none of the poll choices alleviate that, but "Having it at a private residence" was floated on the Facebook thread. And that appeals to me the absolute most.

QuoteI've not been to Canaan Pizza or the Danbury Inn, but they're both much closer to me, so I wouldn't mind them for the sake of ease.

I've been to Caanan VP and I don't like it. I find it physically uncomfortable and the lack of table space ends up breaking the group into smaller groups. I like the roundtable aspect where jokes and conversations are open and inclusive when I go to this kind of gathering.

I'm open to trying the Danbury Inn. I've never been there before which means I don't know how well suited it would be for these kind of gatherings but I like trying new places.

I also agree with this. One benefit we have over Social Sunday in Keene is that this does NOT happen every week, so it (IMO) doesn't become confusing and tedious to figure it out.

Russell Kanning

I like meeting close to grafton. Of coarse we could just meet at one of our houses.
I like the danbury inn idea .... except it cuts out the westerners
i like mickeys basement
I like salt hill pub .... except the distance
i don't like paying for others to cook and taxes

Kat Kanning

Does it have to be Tuesday...it conflicts with Taproom.

MTPorcupine3

Silent Bob just suggested that we could have it here at the Man Cave. There are advantages and disadvantages to every spot, so there will never be a consensus. All the more reason why rotating locations is not such a bad idea. It's not like we have to do a phone tree to get the word out. And, as Kat points out, there's no reason why it has to be Tuesdays.

Firewall99

If we decide not to subsidize the state and to go for potluck, I'm willing to put my place in Eastman into the ring.  The BBQ is handy, and the AV setup might be useful, if only for the occasional Scroogle.

Once you learn the back road trick (yes, even in winter), it's only 15 min. from Jerry's place.

Just a thought...

error

Yeah, I agree with Kat, where's the "Have it on Monday" option?

Ideally I'd like to be able to see people (willing to spend the gas money) able to hit every regional gathering of liberty lovers we have.

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Kat Kanning on February 01, 2010, 07:17 PM NHFT
Does it have to be Tuesday...it conflicts with Taproom.

I don't mind having it on another day, but I don't see the big deal. How many people from the upper valley go to Manch every week? How many Manchkins come to the upper valley every week? Hardly any. It's far away.

error

Quote from: Mike Barskey on February 01, 2010, 11:04 PM NHFT
I don't mind having it on another day, but I don't see the big deal. How many people from the upper valley go to Manch every week? How many Manchkins come to the upper valley every week? Hardly any. It's far away.

It's not that far away. And before it was on Tuesday there were quite a few people who traveled back and forth in both directions. Having these on the same night forces people to choose one or the other, and sharply reduces the number of people willing to visit with others in other parts of the state. I don't think this is a good thing. Eventually we will have so many people here that there are gatherings every night of the week in every part of the state, even in Coos County, and this will likely be a non-issue. But for today I think it does a disservice to all of us.

Lloyd Danforth

I think I heard a commitment in that last post! Change it to Monday!  It might be the only way we ever set eyes on Mike.

Russell Kanning

i like another day of the week ... since it doesn't have to match up with the tuesday thing in lebanon
i prefer someones home also

Fluff and Stuff

If it was on Monday, people visiting the state could attend Social Sundays in Keene, this event on Monday, Taproom Tuesdays in Manch or Movie Night in Winchester on Tuesday and the Dover Social on Wednesday.