• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Vehicle Inspections

Started by tracysaboe, October 22, 2005, 12:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

tracysaboe

OK, any ideas for how we can protest these mandated burdensome, expensive nuisances? Certainly, I normally give my car a check-up every once in a while anyway, but why should the state force it.

We don't have crazy things like this in South Dakota and we don't have dead cars strewed around the highways.

Any ideas? It's something I would certainly support with whatever charitable funds I currently have, if somebody had some good ideas that could work. I'd really be nice for this to be completely gone by the time I make it there.

Tracy

tracysaboe

You think it's possible to completely get rid of these inspections w/in the next legislative section?

I'll cross-post this in the political section.

Tracy

EZPass

I've heard that Florida doesn't have any inspections.  Can anyone confirm that?

Russell Kanning

No state I have lived in had safety inspections.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: tracysaboe on October 22, 2005, 12:39 AM NHFT
OK, any ideas for how we can protest these mandated burdensome, expensive nuisances?
When you move here, don't have it done.

tracysaboe

Quote from: EZPass on October 22, 2005, 07:19 PM NHFT
I've heard that Florida doesn't have any inspections.  Can anyone confirm that?

Florida depends on what County you're in. The state has a vehicle inspection law. But each county can decide whether or not they want to comply or not.

So some counties do, and some counties don't.

That would be a good study. Find out if their are less problems regarding this issue in counties that require them vs counties that don't.

Tracy

Rocketman

In Kentucky, when you register your vehicle, the sheriff walks out and writes down your VIN number.? That's all there is to it.  After numerous run-ins with the West Virginia state inspection BS, I have been grateful for Kentucky in that one particular area.? Since many more heavily governed states do not require a mechanic's annual inspection, it shouldn't be too hard to convince the NH government to lighten up.

Or so I hope... I'll be moving up there with a beat-up, crappy ride.? ?;D

Pat McCotter

Heh heh, just found this: International Title Service out of NV is using New Hampshire to register vehicles for people who do not have a title. In NH you do not need a title for a vehicle over 15 years old, just a bill of sale. This place will either buy the vehicle from you, register it in their name in NH and then sell it back to the owner OR take bill of sale, application and power of attorney to register the vehicle in NH and send the documentation and license plates to the owner.

Talk about entrepreneurial. But, they should have looked at Montana's permanent registration for older vehicles.

(They do have a disclaimer about not handling stolen vehicles.)

PS: BTW, I found this at http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_register.php3 - MILITARY VEHICLES: IMPORT, INSURE & REGISTER,

Lloyd Danforth

When I   registered a truck in Arizona 13 years ago, I had preparred by going over all the lights, changing bulbs and all the other stuff one does to avoid failing an inspection.
I was really surprised when the clerk  went out to my truck and, only,  checked the VIN number!

Russell Kanning

In MT ... they don't even look at the vehicle.

polyanarch

In WI they don't even care if the vehicle runs (or even exists at all) as long as they get the license plate fee.

dawn

I grew up in CT and can't recall having a safety inspection there. They do have emissions testing though. I was really miffed that I had to get my car inspected when I moved to NH. And they had the nerve to fail me because I had a little crack in my windshield. Wow, talk about a safety issue, huh?

I think people can be responsible for maintaining their own vehicles without these state mandated inspections. I thought there might be a bill to reduce it to every other year to start with. Wonder if the garages that do these inspections will revolt. I'm sure that it's pretty easy money for the most part. Bill had his 3 vehicles inspected recently and it was done fairly quickly. All his cars are in excellent condition anyway, but still.

Lloyd Danforth

Untill a few years ago whenever a car 10 years or older changed hands in CT it had to pass an inspection.  They changed this to 30 years old for some reason.  Cars coming in from other states of any age still have to be inspected.

tracysaboe

In South Dakota such a thing is completely unheard of. You say State vehicle inspection to somebody here and most people don't have a clue what you're talking about.  They don't exist in Idaho either.

Russell Kanning

If I were you Tracy, I would just keep your car registered in SD.