• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A Militia Has Taken Over A Federal Building In Oregon

Started by Silent_Bob, January 03, 2016, 11:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent_Bob

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/oregon-ranchers-occupy-national-wildlife-refuge_56888a61e4b0b958f65be382

BURNS, Ore. (AP) — A protest in support of Oregon ranchers facing jail time for arson was followed by an occupation of a building at a national wildlife refuge led by members of a family previously involved in a showdown with the federal government.
Ammon Bundy — the son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, who was involved in a standoff with the government over grazing rights — told The Oregonian on Saturday that he and two of his brothers were among a group of dozens of people occupying the headquarters of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
Ammon Bundy posted a video on his Facebook page asking for militia members to come help him. He said "this is not a time to stand down. It's a time to stand up and come to Harney County," where Burns is located. Below the video is this statement: "(asterisk)(asterisk)ALL PATRIOTS ITS TIME TO STAND UP NOT STAND DOWN!!! WE NEED YOUR HELP!!! COME PREPARED."
In an interview with reporters late Saturday night that was posted on Facebook, Bundy said he and others are occupying the building because "the people have been abused long enough."
"I feel we are in a situation where if we do not do something, if we do not take a hard stand, we'll be in a position where we'll be no longer able to do so," he said.
Bundy said the group planned to stay at the refuge indefinitely. "We're planning on staying here for years, absolutely," Ammon Bundy said. "This is not a decision we've made at the last minute."
Posted by Ammon Bundy on Thursday, December 31, 2015
Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward told people to stay away from the building as authorities work to defuse the situation, the Oregonian reported (http://is.gd/bK7d4E).
"A collective effort from multiple agencies is currently working on a solution. For the time being please stay away from that area. More information will be provided as it becomes available. Please maintain a peaceful and united front and allow us to work through this situation," Ward said in a statement.
An Idaho militia leader who helped organize the earlier march said he knew nothing about activities after a parade of militia members and local residents in Burns walked past the sheriff's office and the home of Dwight Hammond Jr. and his son Steven.
Beth Anne Steele, an FBI spokeswoman in Portland, told The Associated Press the agency was aware of the situation at the national wildlife refuge. She made no further comment.
Some local residents feared the Saturday rally would involve more than speeches, flags and marching. But the only real additions to that list seemed to be songs, flowers and pennies.
As marchers reached the courthouse, they tossed hundreds of pennies at the locked door. Their message: civilians were buying back their government. After the march passed, two girls swooped in to scavenge the pennies.
This is as close as I was allowed to get to the armed militia occupying the Malheur Wildlife Refuge HQ. #burnsoregon pic.twitter.com/DPztu0VsVU
— Jason Wilson (@jason_a_w) January 3, 2016

Ammon Bundy's father, Cliven Bundy, told Oregon Public Broadcasting on Saturday night that he had nothing to do with the takeover of the building.
Bundy said his son felt obligated to intervene on behalf of the Hammonds.
"That's not exactly what I thought should happen, but I didn't know what to do," he said. "You know, if the Hammonds wouldn't stand, if the sheriff didn't stand, then, you know, the people had to do something. And I guess this is what they did decide to do. I wasn't in on that."
His son Ammon told him they are committed to staying in the building, Cliven Bundy told Oregon Public Broadcasting.
"He told me that they were there for the long run. I guess they figured they're going to be there for whatever time it takes_and I don't know what that means," Cliven Bundy said. "I asked him, 'Well how long can ya, how long you going to stand out there?' He just told me it was for long term."
A few blocks away, Hammond and his wife, Susan, greeted marchers, who planted flower bouquets in the snow. They sang some songs, Hammond said a few words, and the protesters marched back to their cars.
Dwight Hammond has said he and his son plan to peacefully report to prison Jan. 4 as ordered by the judge.
Dwight Hammond, 73, and Steven Hammond, 46, said they lit the fires in 2001 and 2006 to reduce the growth of invasive plants and protect their property from wildfires.
The two were convicted of the arsons three years ago and served time — the father three months, the son one year. But a judge ruled their terms were too short under federal law and ordered them back to prison for about four years each.
The decision has generated controversy in a remote part of the state.
In particular, the Hammonds' new sentences touched a nerve with far right groups who repudiate federal authority.
Ammon Bundy and a handful of militiamen from other states arrived last month in Burns, some 60 miles from the Hammond ranch.
In an email to supporters, Ammon Bundy criticized the U.S. government for a failed legal process.

Tom Sawyer

Kind of exciting, but Bundy will be prosecuted for his role as a "leader". They should have avoided having anyone appearing as the spokesman or leader. Just a bunch of individuals that happen to be acting in concert is legally a lot safer.

Read CNN's coverage of this and saw they quoted some woman as saying how frightening the militia was. That's the downside of the armed resistance and why nonviolent resistance seems to be about the only way to actually win. Let the gooberment be the violent ones in the audiences view.

Jim Johnson

Even more tactically ignorant than the Alamo.... trying to hold an isolated Fort in the middle of nowhere at the beginning of winter.

Two roads in and out, that the Government doesn't have to keep clear of snow.

The electricity could be shut off and they'd be one winter storm away from dying.

...but I suppose their call for all patriots to gather and help will overcome any hardships.

Jay

Quote from: Jim Johnson on January 03, 2016, 02:36 PM NHFT
Even more tactically ignorant than the Alamo.... trying to hold an isolated Fort in the middle of nowhere at the beginning of winter.

I think they want to die and become martyrs for the Next American Revolution. So they may succeed on that goal.

Wars are better fought by spreading cultural memes these days anyway. Never has a member of the general public had so much power available at such low cost to broadcast their message worldwide.

The country is weak right now, for a number of reasons. You could change a whole system with just a few well placed Tweets and Youtubes.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Jay on January 03, 2016, 03:30 PM NHFT

The country is weak right now, for a number of reasons.

Name 10.

...first explain 'country'.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Jay on January 03, 2016, 03:30 PM NHFT

I think they want to die and become martyrs for the Next American Revolution. So they may succeed on that goal.

The feds have learned, as they did with the Freemen, just wait them out and there is no dramatic moment... just a long slow grind.

I agree with the rest of your comments.

I commend the folks that are making a stand to try and protect their way of life.

Jay

Quote from: Jim Johnson on January 03, 2016, 03:48 PM NHFT
...first explain 'country'.

I thought about putting quotes around that word in my post.

I think the biggest threat to The Powers that Be losing that power is losing control of that lost generation of unmarried mid-twenty to early thirtysomething males living in the post-manufacturing economy here. An extreme feeling of needing to do something actually productive with their lives. They know things are fucked up, even if it's just a gut feeling and not very...educated. Anything that would make those folks feel they could actually change things would catch on quick, even though that likely means just new people in the same seats of power (Trump).

I'm trying to put my mindset in the paradigm of the average citizen with those thoughts.

Given the blunder of democracies and the steady loss of Freedom since the American Revolution, I hold no hope that this Oregon thing...even if "successful", will put humanity on a better path...

I put my faith in entropy. And it gets more chaotic all the time.

KBCraig

It's important to note that the Hammonds don't want Bundy and crew there, and have spoken out against them. They intend to turn themselves in Monday morning to serve the rest of their sentences.

It's easy to spot the undercover feds, the confidential informants, and those who have been bent over the barrel by law enforcement: they're the ones advocating violence and otherwise stirring up shit.

Free libertarian

I bet the men going back to jail aren't going there because they believe they harmed anyone.   They're going there because they know if they don't "someone" will harm them. 

The concept of "federal land" should be examined.  Something, something ,something...strike the root.

Tom Sawyer

Jeez, the media is sure beating the drum to demonize the "militia". Closing the schools... wtf is that about. Oh I know, it's to frighten and probably more importantly inconvenience the parents.

Read some more about how the Fish and Wildlife have been screw the ranchers over for years.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: KBCraig on January 03, 2016, 05:42 PM NHFT
It's important to note that the Hammonds don't want Bundy and crew there, and have spoken out against them. They intend to turn themselves in Monday morning to serve the rest of their sentences.

"Yeah... we were just up trespassing and occupying a Federal building... and we'd like to turn our selves in to finish our previous sentencing for terrorism?" - Hammond Brothers

eglove

#YallQaeda / #VanillaISIS needs snacks (Oregon 'terrorists' don't plan siege very well, put out plea for snacks and supplies) to further wage #YeeHawd.

blackie

Russell Kanning

We like that town. It is the edge of nowhere. You almost can't get there from the Southwest.
There is a rest area near a BLM place on the West side of town.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Burns+District/@43.5263284,-119.0930244,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x42e3bca54f6753c1

don't know if that works

There are 2 truck stops in that town that never fill up. We can walk across the street to the grocery store. It is a nice country place. The rich people live in Bend down the road an hour or so to the West.

I guess they are at the lake and wetlands East of town.
There is also a ranger station in town.

I like ranchers better than BLM workers.