• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Maybe the sky isn't falling

Started by Tom Sawyer, September 15, 2016, 10:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Erroneous_Logic

I know. That's why I'm here. I have lots of difficulty being upbeat and sometimes I trick myself into thinking that being around upbeat people will help. And keep in mind that I'm not worried about cops pulling me over -today-, (actually I am because no insurance), I'm concerned about cops pulling me over during rough times when they're looking for cash or anything else they can steal, not because they feel entitled, but because they're at the point where they actually -need- it in a very real way.

WithoutAPaddle

Johnson thinks Lorne Greene sold Allepo dog food.  Sorry folks, but countless millions are dead because we, or at least, the US Supreme Court and Ralph Nader, elected a flunkie who didn't even know there was any such thing as Shiites and Sunnis.  It is disgraceful that a political party - if the Libertarian Party even deserves that status with a capital L and P - offers a candidate for the Presidency who doesn't have the brains to at least get a brief tutorial on foreign policy.

This may backfire on the Libertarian Party.  A lot of people see Trump as the last, best hope to "blow it all up and start over again".  We already did that in Iraq, Egypt and Libya, and now in Syria.   If you think that simply taking down the system paves the way for a new and better system, forget about it. The only benefit that Russians get from the end of the old Soviet Union is that they are now free to leave it.

Fortunately, Johnson can draw enough votes away from Trump so that he loses in the general election (I hope).  I will be voting this November for the second worst Presidential candidate ever to have represented one of the two major political parties in the United States history.  After that, I will surely be supportive of efforts of Congress to do things that she will oppose, if it can muster the will to do so, and then hope for a better primary process in 2019 and 2020.

Erroneous_Logic

Nah. It's a 98% bet that trump will win. But really, the president won't matter. It's all coming tumbling down soon. My Time Monk friend's words are sometimes confusing and difficult to interpret, but on this it's pretty straightforward.

Tom Sawyer

Who wins the election is of little matter to me.

Trump has torn apart the R's, Hillary has alienated many from the D's. Neither one will be able to get much done because of the horrible partisan divide.

I watched Gary Johnson on The View...Gary Johnson goes on The View
I was greatly encouraged by the dynamic he can seize upon. The Aleppo stumble is one of the better things to happen for his campaign. Watch how the two dinosaurs, Whoopie and Joy, can't figure out why he is appealing to the younger hosts. Partisan politics is the problem and the solution is a guy like him. He's not going to win the election, but his percentage proves the appeal of this new (to most people) direction.

I heard an interview with him on NPR. Many of the things that a lot of libertarians are bitching about his watered down version of libertarianism is his asset. Does anyone think that policy wonks and purity people are the way the presidential race is run?  ;D

The young black woman on The View was all smiles and said he was kind of like Bernie. That's a good thing. Anti-intervention, pro-pot, and anti-corporatism... with a side of limited government please. In the sound bite world of television you don't have a hour to explain the more fringe (from mainstream) details of libertarianism.

We could attack someone that is getting some traction and moving toward the goals, or we could be all gloomy and teardown the good for the dream of the perfect.

A bright and shining future... after a turbulent wild ride. What else has history ever given people. Remember the Berlin Wall? Before we realized it was over... It was knocked down and then Roger Waters had an awesome concert where a bunch of counter culture artists performed "The Wall". It's not our parents world, it's our world... if we have the balls to seize the opportunities. Unless we are stupid enough to only see the short term and ask for the lesser of two evils.

In the cannabis movement the old guard were willing to beg for crumbs... "We'll never see pot sold in stores." 3 years later it was happening in multiple states. I even bitch about that it's not enough because of the tax and regulate model... But, damn let's push for more instead of "It will never work, we're doomed!" We should not be the obstacle. Have enough faith and hope that someone else starts hoping too. I've done it a few times and 30 years later got to see that some of the young ones we fostered effected real change.

Sunny day on the mountain today... life is too short to give up on my son's future.

blackie

They sky fell a long time ago.

Good luck trying to fix the world.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: blackie on September 15, 2016, 08:40 PM NHFT

I'm not fixing the world.
I'm just saying we are not necessarily doomed.

As you grow cannabis legally for a living... in 1987 you would have never imagined such a thing possible in that relatively short time frame.

Free libertarian

Even if the sky WAS falling, why worry?  It's only made of air.   Now nuclear fallout and debris, well, that's a little different.   

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Free libertarian on September 16, 2016, 06:08 AM NHFT

Even if the sky WAS falling, why worry?  It's only made of air.   Now nuclear fallout and debris, well, that's a little different.

Nice to live upwind of NYC.

Free libertarian

Fall is the best time of year weather wise for me, I feel 47 again.  (trying to positive here)   

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Free libertarian on September 16, 2016, 06:23 AM NHFT
Fall is the best time of year weather wise for me, I feel 47 again.  (trying to positive here)

Ahhh, to be 47 again.    ;D

It is my favorite time of year as well. Pleasant weather, no bugs, ya don't sweat. Looks like another beautiful day.

Jim Johnson

I'm sure you mean 1916, during an actual plague.... or the 1903's, during an actual economic crisis.
Even the 1970's can laugh at what's currently happening.

Erroneous_Logic

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 16, 2016, 11:08 AM NHFT

I'm sure you mean 1916, during an actual plague.... or the 1903's, during an actual economic crisis.

Heh. There hasn't been such economic imbalance as the U.S. is experiencing right now in recorded history. This is because, until the last few hundred years, humanity lacked the technology to effect such an imbalance in the first place. Before the advent of automobiles, it was very difficult to effectively extend economic control more than a day's travel outside a city. Now, if someone is engaging in 'improper' commerce, perhaps violating a granted monopoly, enforcers can be there in minutes or hours. Before the invention of modern communications technology, it could take days or weeks for economic information to travel from one city to another. Now, the actions of the fed can have very immediate ripple effects on the other side of the world, within hours or even minutes.
So, when this all falls down, it's gonna be interesting.
Fortunately, human beings tend not to just lie down and starve to death in the absence of their normal source of income and nutrition, and people will start actively searching for ways to sustain themselves reasonably quickly once that happens. :)

Free libertarian

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on September 16, 2016, 12:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 16, 2016, 11:08 AM NHFT

Heh. There hasn't been such economic imbalance as the U.S. is experiencing right now in recorded history. This is because, until the last few hundred years, humanity lacked the technology to effect such an imbalance in the first place. Before the advent of automobiles, it was very difficult to effectively extend economic control more than a day's travel outside a city. Now, if someone is engaging in 'improper' commerce, perhaps violating a granted monopoly, enforcers can be there in minutes or hours. Before the invention of modern communications technology, it could take days or weeks for economic information to travel from one city to another. Now, the actions of the fed can have very immediate ripple effects on the other side of the world, within hours or even minutes.
So, when this all falls down, it's gonna be interesting.
Fortunately, human beings tend not to just lie down and starve to death in the absence of their normal source of income and nutrition, and people will start actively searching for ways to sustain themselves reasonably quickly once that happens. :)

Thank you for the reminder.  I gotta get some Cannibal repellant. 

Erroneous_Logic

some good cannibal repellant brands are 7.62 mm and .45 cal

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 15, 2016, 10:38 AM NHFT
The libertarian movement often seems to be made up of a lot of Chicken Littles.

Indeed. Some just think they're Johnny rebels ("Whattaya got?") -- whatever is winning is what they're against. The same people griping about Johnson/Weld would be bitching if the ticket were Harry Browne and Ron Paul. I think the real source of their anger is their cognitive dissonance: they have decided that there is some perfect balance between minarchism and anarchism, and they're going to stand astride a fulcrum that doesn't actually exist and shake their fists at everyone who is a nanometer to either side.

Pragmatism is inexcusable as a substitute for philosophy, but even the purist philosophy requires a pragmatic way to get from here, to there. If it doesn't, it's just an excuse to complain that we're not there yet.

I'm an anarchist because I don't believe that government is necessary. I'm a libertarian because I believe that it's inevitable.