• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

president

when reform is not possible, revolution is necessary

CNHT

We need to prevent them from taking the $3M because, as some Senators said yesterday, this is DE FACTO acceptance of the federal program.
The committee I fear, is stacked with all the wrong people. So much for fairness.

And those 14 ought to be reminded, especially the ones who were on the committee that voted OTP 6-0, that despite the nice piece Sheila read at the  outset recommending they pass 1582 as was originally intended, we fully know what happened and who influenced them.

We need to let them know that when it comes to NH we don't need any DC influence, they have no business telling our Senators what to do, and if this marching order continues to come down we will remove those people from office.

We will not forget at election time!

Also, something is being done to push this back at the fed level:

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50057

Tom Sawyer

Kat Kanning

Quote from: CNHT on May 04, 2006, 06:46 PM NHFT
Yes there must be concurrence of both Houses, committe of conference, or the bill will die. At least the money will not be taken..

Wouldn't the default, in absence of HB1582, be to take the money?

CNHT

Quote from: Roger Grant on May 05, 2006, 07:16 AM NHFT
http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060505/REPOSITORY/605050360

"Grant filmed side conversations and passing crowds, but he had to curtail his information-gathering hours before the vote, when Senate staffers caught him trying to connect to the P.A. system. The camera was fine, security told him, but he couldn't tap into the sound box because he didn't have a press pass issued by the state."

Roger, it's easy to get a press pass, just apply for one and you will have it. CNHT has them.

CNHT

Quote from: katdillon on May 05, 2006, 07:21 AM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on May 04, 2006, 06:46 PM NHFT
Yes there must be concurrence of both Houses, committe of conference, or the bill will die. At least the money will not be taken..

Wouldn't the default, in absence of HB1582, be to take the money?

If they take the money we are screwed because it is De Facto acceptance.
I am writing to the 14 now to express this and to chide them from taking marching orders from DC.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: CNHT on May 05, 2006, 07:26 AM NHFT
http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060505/REPOSITORY/605050360

"Grant filmed side conversations and passing crowds, but he had to curtail his information-gathering hours before the vote, when Senate staffers caught him trying to connect to the P.A. system. The camera was fine, security told him, but he couldn't tap into the sound box because he didn't have a press pass issued by the state."

Roger, it's easy to get a press pass, just apply for one and you will have it. CNHT has them.

Yes I can go to the State Police and get my ID. :)

The irony was thick.

CNHT

Quote from: Roger Grant on May 05, 2006, 07:43 AM NHFT

The irony was thick.

No you get it at the post office I believe, it's not a police thing. There is not much to it...they give one to everyone.

Dreepa

Maybe we all should get one?   >:D

CNHT

Quote from: Dreepa on May 05, 2006, 07:53 AM NHFT
Maybe we all should get one?   >:D

Yeah, you simply register as 'press'. They won' t know any more about you than they already do, so it's worth it.

Ok here is the letter I am sending, comments and suggestions please?

Dear Senators,

I am writing to you because you were one of the 14 Republicans who on May 4th 2006 voted to amend HB 1582 away from its original intent, despite the unanimous 6-0 "OTP" vote of the study committee.

The bill as I understand it, will now simply call for another commission which will then vote whether to take the $3M federal money that is being offered to start complying with the National Real ID act, while further studying the issue.

This is simply ludicrous! Not only would acceptance of the money be 'de facto' acceptance of participation in Real ID, but it would hardly be enough for the already beleaguered DMV to complete the program. It is estimated that $30M or more would be needed for full compliance. Is this something you want to foist on the taxpayers of NH???

The committee is stacked with all the wrong people. Where are the citizens represented?

Additionally I and others fully understand what happened to change the minds of several of you who previously had voted OTP and just who was responsible for this influence.  Despite the fact that I am a registered Republican, I do not feel that our local Senators should be taking marching orders from the likes of George Bush, Judd Gregg and Jeb Bradley, and instead should be doing what is best for NH. Our local Senators should be doing what the people of NH want, not what Washington DC wants, and the breadth of support for HB 1582 in its original form was proof of what the people wanted.

One of the scare tactics used on you was that this system would better help catch terrorists and illegal immigrants. Even if one thinks we have a problem with illegals in NH, I ask you, how can this help, since when illegals have been caught and handed over, the ICE traditionally has refused to take action? Anyone who knows what happened in New Ipswich, NH with police chief Garrett Chamberlain and the illegals he detained, is aware of this.

Instead of helping to catch terrorists or other perceived criminals, the possibility for abuse of this system against regular law-abiding citizens is far too Orwellian.

Please remember that if you as Republicans continue to take your marching orders from Washington DC and ignore the people of NH, we will not forget at re-election time.

Respectfully yours,

Pat McCotter

Dreepa

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on May 04, 2006, 11:05 PM NHFT
I don't know what to say... I feel like I just experienced one of lifes defining moments, one of the bad kinds. I feel this is one of those moments where I'll look back and think "this is where it all started to go downhill". Obviously it started to go downhill a long time ago, but this is definately a checkpoint...

I actually think that for those of us in NH it is a learning thing.  All good things usually start from something bad.
On this issue we need to be reminded of the words of John Paul Jones.
'I have not yet begun to fight.'

We need to follow this issue daily until November.
Think we can make a schedule so that someone is outside everyday with a sign?
Will outsiders be on this commission?  Katherine should be on it.

Did you guys read Barnes' quote in the paper?
"We are at war," he said. "I'm very happy that our government is doing this. I'll give some of my rights up: I don't mind going to the airport and taking my shoes off so some bum isn't coming along and blowing up the airplane I'm riding on."

Pat McCotter

Pat McCotter

Quote from: CNHT on May 05, 2006, 07:46 AM NHFT
Quote from: Roger Grant on May 05, 2006, 07:43 AM NHFT

The irony was thick.

No you get it at the post office I believe, it's not a police thing. There is not much to it...they give one to everyone.

From the post office? So it'a a Federal pass not state?

aries

Quote from: dead president on May 05, 2006, 06:28 AM NHFT
Something about something[/size][/b][/center]
Watch out, I got silenced by the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!  ;) ;D see my edit a few pages back. I was quoted, too  :-X