• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Income tax help

Started by Dreepa, March 28, 2006, 11:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Is it possible to find out when people go on trial for income tax evasion?
Could we hand out FIJA flyers?
What are the pros?
What are the cons?

I heard that handing out FIJA flyers is illegal is that true? Isn't it protected by the 1st Amend?

Atlas

Just like the government has never answered the petitions from the We The People Foundation regarding the income tax, I can totally see the government making it illegal to show pamphlets that would better the chances for tax activists 'getting off' when it comes to jail time. Freedom of Speech exists until the government has an interest in preventing it. :(

Thespis

I think Ian has said on FTL that he's handed out flyers at courthouses before.

The problem that comes up is that judges might hold you in contempt of court if you state that you're trying to nullify the law. So, the advice is to just vote not guilty, but don't say why.

Fluff and Stuff

QuoteI heard that handing out FIJA flyers is illegal is that true? Isn't it protected by the 1st Amend?

It is not against the law.

Kat Kanning

Just because it's protected by the first amendment, doesn't mean they wont toss you in jail for it.   >:(

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: katdillon on March 28, 2006, 01:07 PM NHFT
Just because it's protected by the first amendment, doesn't mean they wont toss you in jail for it.   >:(

There are not written laws against it, either.  But, yes, they can still put you in jail because they are allowed to do that for anything at anytime, and that is a law.

Lloyd Danforth

FTL_Ian

Handing out fliers infront of the courthouse is legal.  But to be safe, have another volunteer or two along with you and bring a recording device.

When I did it, the cops came to ask what we were doing, then went away.  No trouble at all.  FIJA flyering is SUCH easy activism.  It only takes 30 mins.  You hit the potential jurors on their way into the courthouse, and simply arrive 30 mins prior to their arrival deadline!

FTL_Ian

I don't think we'd have been allowed on the steps, we were out front by the sidewalk, which is how everyone arrives.

PowerPenguin

Works for me. These laws are (I'm assuming) on a county basis (?). This, it at least should vary per locality.

Tom Sawyer

If they wanted to be hard asses, they might try to call it jury tampering.

AlanM

They are jury not members until they are sworn. You can't tamper with a jury that does not yet exist.

jgmaynard

Nope, this is covered by state law and municipalities are forbidden from further infringing on people's rights.

You can pass out whatever you like on public property and any decision to "move you along" if you are blocking car or pedestrian traffic must be content-neutral as to what you are passing out. Eg., they can't prevent you from passing out FIJA flyers if they wouldn't prevent you from passing out pro-Red Cross flyers (or whatever) under the same conditions.

JM

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: jgmaynard on April 06, 2006, 02:49 PM NHFT
Nope, this is covered by state law and municipalities are forbidden from further infringing on people's rights.

You can pass out whatever you like on public property and any decision to "move you along" if you are blocking car or pedestrian traffic must be content-neutral as to what you are passing out. Eg., they can't prevent you from passing out FIJA flyers if they wouldn't prevent you from passing out pro-Red Cross flyers (or whatever) under the same conditions.

JM

Nice to hear...
Although I remember people getting threatened with Jury Tampering when they did it outside of a Federal Court.

I think educating people of the right is a good idea...

jgmaynard

Possibly under Fed laws, but what are they going to do? Call up the BATF and have them spend six weeks getting here? If the local police know that you know it can't be held up in court in NH, they're not likely to arrest you (although it is a possibility) unless your name is Kat or Russ.  :D

JM