• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Private mail company

Started by vanguardist, April 10, 2006, 09:27 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

vanguardist

I am seriously considering starting a private mail company when I get to NH to compete with the post office. The plan is to do it for first class mail delivery, locally at first, and see how it goes. This is to be a bit of an experiment for fun and exposure. I could get some volunteers to drive around a town and distribute mail. Bulk discounts accepted when paid with silver or gold :)

The feds need to be out, so it's time start seeding the flowers of market competition to gun-backed "services."

Jason Rand

How do you propose to deal with the legal issues?  I don't know much about this.  On a related note though, I was thinking about getting some stamps made through zazzle.com or stamps.com with Lysander Spooner's photo on it. 

vanguardist

Quote from: Jason Rand on April 10, 2006, 09:35 PM NHFT
How do you propose to deal with the legal issues?  I don't know much about this.  On a related note though, I was thinking about getting some stamps made through zazzle.com or stamps.com with Lysander Spooner's photo on it. 

Heh, well, the point is to bring up legal issues. Lysander tried and failed. Let's see how we do. It would be nice to be stopped by cops with guns for....delivering mail! Oh what a criminal act!!!!

Lloyd Danforth

The Hell with the legal stuff, have you considered the logistics?   

tracysaboe

Go for it!

Next step.

Free market first responce police, security and legal services to compete w/ the cops.
http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=3275.0

Tracy

1984IsNow

I think it's an interesting idea, definitely.
You'd need a pretty good number of volunteers, and I'm not sure how many people would want to switch up who delivered their mail at first, but if it caught on, cool.

vanguardist

Maybe a way to get started would be to partner with someone friendly with liberty who already knows a mail/office company (the kind that has UPS/FEDEX/USPS) and ask them to carry our stamps. We go once a day, pickup and deliver. We can send coupons and brochures to their clients too.

Russell Kanning

I think it could happen, if you did everything at the start in a small area.
I think we could do it here in Keene.

Russell Kanning

Maybe the payment can be made online when the person requests the service, then no money or stamps have to change hands on the spot.
There is a courier service in Peterborough/Keene, but they charge a lot of money. I don't think we could compete with the post office on price for letters that can take a day to get there. Maybe we could beat them with same day service and cheaper on packages.
A retail location with real private mail boxes would be cool.

Russell Kanning

Our delivery drivers could turn into pizza guys in the evenings. We could be on call for when those places get swamped.

JonM

You'd have to make the Post Office care, and while they hold a legal monopoly on the delivery of first class mail, apparently things that "absolutely positively have to be there overnight" got exempted, because they couldn't provide that service back in the day.  Most likely they'd ignore you, knowing you want attention.  Now if you put letters in the federal government owned mailboxes, well, then they probably wouldn't ignore you.

If you wanted to do it "clean" you'd need people to get a mailbox for your service.

Russell Kanning

I would be doing it whether or not the feds were watching and I could use people's mail boxes if it was mail.

vanguardist

Quote from: russellkanning on April 11, 2006, 08:26 AM NHFT
Maybe the payment can be made online when the person requests the service, then no money or stamps have to change hands on the spot.
There is a courier service in Peterborough/Keene, but they charge a lot of money. I don't think we could compete with the post office on price for letters that can take a day to get there. Maybe we could beat them with same day service and cheaper on packages.
A retail location with real private mail boxes would be cool.

Yeah, maybe we could get homes to accept deliveries, the same for office buildings and apartment complexes.  I wonder where exactly the monopoly law is (not that I care that much), maybe US Code?

Pat McCotter

Russell Kanning

We could have real private mail boxes at a Shorty Dawkins country store.