• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Peace activists found guilty of criminal trespass

Started by Rocketman, May 24, 2006, 11:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketman

Wow, just noticed this on http://www.nhpeaceaction.org/:

"The trial of eight people arrested at Senator's Gregg's office while trying to attain a public meeting is approaching. Come show your support in the court room on May 25 at 8:30 am in the Concord Court House on Clinton Street.

The group plans to evoke article 10 of the NH constitution, The Right to Revolution, in their defense: Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind. June 2, 1784
More... "

John

Thinking that this must be the "granny brigade" - if I'm remembering correctly.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: John on May 25, 2006, 12:26 AM NHFT
Thinking that this must be the "granny brigade" - if I'm remembering correctly.

Nope, that was 18 women in Manhattan in front of a recruiting office. They were acquitted.

Rocketman

I'm not up on this case, but doesn't anybody else find it interesting that a bunch of anti-war lefties would invoke Article 10 of the NH Constitution?

d_goddard

Quote from: Rocketman on May 25, 2006, 09:17 AM NHFT
I'm not up on this case, but doesn't anybody else find it interesting that a bunch of anti-war lefties would invoke Article 10 of the NH Constitution?

Bingo!
I have not researched this properly, so I am blowing hot air... but...
my "spidey-sense" tells me to keep this at arm's length until I see a reason to get involved.

FrankChodorov

why not take Rothbard's path of trying to unite the left and the right against the state?

Rocketman

Because Denis doesn't like granola?   :P

I'll stand next to anybody who wants to end this war.  As a former leftie, I know at least some of them can be brought around by effective libertarian arguments.  Even when that isn't possible, lefties can be useful allies on the issues where we do agree (e.g. Real ID, Drug Prohibition, etc.). 

Since libertarianism isn't mainstream, young people who decide to hate the Bush-Cheney-Rummy warfare state typically become lefties by default.  For many, there is hope.   ;)

d_goddard

Quote from: Rocketman on May 25, 2006, 12:01 PM NHFT
Because Denis doesn't like granola?   :P
Hey, I'm a tree-hugging vegetarian who drived a hybrid-electric car.
I have major granola credentials... but I won't fraternize with commies :P

Russell Kanning

Even if they are raving commies .... they should not be barred from public meetings.

Kat Kanning

(que trumpets)  I'll stand up for anyone's rights...as long as they agree with me politically.

d_goddard

Quote from: katdillon on May 25, 2006, 12:56 PM NHFT
(que trumpets)  I'll stand up for anyone's rights...as long as they agree with me politically.

It's a balance between the value of half of my day vs. standing up for someone's rights.
And yes, I selfishly value half my day quite highly.
In the case of these folks... I'll wish 'em well, from a distance, for now.
In the case of folks like you and Russ... the only reason I'd miss your trial would be major illness in my own family.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: katdillon on May 25, 2006, 12:56 PM NHFT

if you believe the Iraq war is unconstitutional and that we have a constitutional right to petition our government for the redress of grievances then I'd say you agree...

Russell Kanning

These guys give "criminal trespass" a good name:
http://www.keenefreepress.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=141&Itemid=36

A couple of them will be at the UU Church in Keene tonight.

d_goddard

Quote from: russellkanning on May 25, 2006, 03:08 PM NHFT
http://www.keenefreepress.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=141&Itemid=36
From that article, I'd say Judd Gregg is guilty of criminal stupidity: surely he could have at least met with them for half an hour, and discussed the issues?

Oh, no, wait, that's what a New Hampshire Senator would do! ;)

CNHT

Quote from: FrankChodorov on May 25, 2006, 11:32 AM NHFT
why not take Rothbard's path of trying to unite the left and the right against the state?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!     :icon_stop: