• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Alone in the Wilderness

Started by Pat K, June 05, 2006, 08:54 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

I just got done watching Alone in the Wilderness an hour long doc. about Richard Proenneke . You want to talk about self- sufficiency, this guy at the age of 53 goes off into the Alaska wilds in 1968 and with hand power tools, alot of wich he makes. Builds a cabin, outhouse, catch room furniture etc. He then lives there for 30 or so years deciding in his 80's that the 50 deg below  zero winters are becoming to much!!!

Tom Sawyer

Getting yourself mentally prepared for NH winters? ;D

AlanM

Pat, one word: SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat K

Very funny, keep it up, IM gonna have alot of empty beer bottles to throw at PorcFest.  ;D

In the movie the guy says it below zero today, buts it's a toasty 40 deg. in my cabin!! Holy crap talk about hard core!!

I think he would have been much better off with a wood stove flown in instead of the fire place he hand built out of river rock. He would of thought of that as cheating though, he already felt bad about using tar paper and plastic on the roof under the  moss he had up there.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Pat K on June 05, 2006, 08:54 PM NHFT
I just got done watching Alone in the Wilderness an hour long doc. about Richard Proenneke . You want to talk about self- sufficiency, this guy at the age of 53 goes off into the Alaska wilds in 1968 and with hand power tools, alot of wich he makes. Builds a cabin, outhouse, catch room furniture etc. He then lives there for 30 or so years deciding in his 80's that the 50 deg below  zero winters are becoming to much!!!

I have that on tape......somewhere.

aries

KBCraig

I've seen it. It's a great documentary, about a helluva man.

Personally, I like beer and the companionship of the "gentler sex" too much to follow his example, but it was inspiring.

Kevin

Kat Kanning

We watched that a couple months ago...very interesting.

Lex

Quote from: KBCraig on June 06, 2006, 03:11 AM NHFT
I've seen it. It's a great documentary, about a helluva man.

Personally, I like beer and the companionship of the "gentler sex" too much to follow his example, but it was inspiring.

You can make your own beer and bring a significant other.

fourthgeek

You're not a real outdoorsman unless you make your own significant other. Otherwise you're cheating.

Like, a wooden blow-up doll.

Lex

Quote from: fourthgeek on June 06, 2006, 11:44 AM NHFTYou're not a real outdoorsman unless you make your own significant other.

Incest doesn't make you a real outdoorsman!   :P

Pat K

Quote from: fourthgeek on June 06, 2006, 11:44 AM NHFT
You're not a real outdoorsman unless you make your own significant other. Otherwise you're cheating.

Like, a wooden blow-up doll.

You need to be very careful of splinters !

Kat Kanning

I knew a guy that made hand crafted wooden dildos.  He made them for rape victims.

Pat K

I work with some wooden dildos, their called bosses here though.

Tom Sawyer

Man I check in on these threads and read the strangest things... ;D