• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tape the cops, go to jail.

Started by KBCraig, June 29, 2006, 09:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

president

Michael J Gannon - (603) 598-4044 - 26 Morgan St, Nashua, NH 03064

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: Money Dollars on June 29, 2006, 10:53 AM NHFT
more:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060629/NEWS01/106290121/-1/news
Man charged after videotaping police

By ANDREW WOLFE, Telegraph Staff
awolfe@nashuatelegraph.com

Published: Thursday, Jun. 29, 2006
Michael Gannon stands outside his house on Morgan Street where he videotaped a detective who had come to his house investigating his 15-year-old son Tuesday in Nashua. Gannon said the detective was rude, and brought a surveillance tape to the Nashua Police Station to file a complaint. Instead, police arrested him, telling him he had violated New Hampshire?s eavesdropping and wiretap laws.

Remember when eavesdropping and wiretap laws were used against the government for spying on its own citizens,
instead of on citizens keeping track of what is happening on their own property?

My stomach hurts when I read this story.
Hey, I have a video camera.  :plotting:

My stomach is feeling better. ;D

Dreepa

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on June 29, 2006, 12:42 PM NHFT

Remember when eavesdropping and wiretap laws were used against the government for spying on its own citizens,
instead of on citizens keeping track of what is happening on their own property?

It is legal for the gov to spy on you... I mean who would mind if they aren't doing anything wrong... don't we hear that all the time?
Wait.. so shouldn't the cops also not mind?  I mean they aren't doing anything wrong right?

Lex

Anyone know the history of this RSA? I wonder what happened that caused the bureaucrats to add it...

president

Quote from: FTL_Ian on June 29, 2006, 11:21 AM NHFT
I hope you guys are getting in touch with Mr. Gannon.  Sounds like we could be of assistance. 
I tried to call, but got a message.

Do you care if I give him the FTL number and ask him to call in?

d_goddard

Quote from: Money Dollars on June 29, 2006, 03:04 PM NHFT
Do you care if I give him the FTL number and ask him to call in?

For the record, MD, you are being so cool and helpful here, I formally retract calling you the T-word in the past.
Karma for you.

lildog

Quote from: Money Dollars on June 29, 2006, 09:32 AM NHFT
From my reading of the law, notification is not good enough. You need consent to make a recording....

oh no!!!!  There are a lot of women out there who might be after me if that's the case!!!  (kidding of course... all my lady friends know about the cameras in advance  ;) )

Lex

Ian - you should ask Michael J Gannon to be on your show.

president

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on June 29, 2006, 03:14 PM NHFT
Ian - you should ask Michael J Gannon to be on your show.
Ian doesn't do that.

d_goddard

Hell with it.
MD, please, call Mr. Gannon (you're nominated since you brought it up) and tell him you know of a nationwide talk show where he can tell his story. I personally would not wait for Ian's approval -- not like there's any call screening on FTL anyway (which is a good thing!)

president

I'm not waiting for Ian. I called and left a message. I invited him to call in..... Talk radio where I am in control, right?

But I may just swing his house in a bit, and maybe the NPD....I wish I had my video camera with me....

d_goddard

I swear, if I did not have long-standing commitments this afternoon, I'd come along for the ride (as long as you promise not to go all sniper and leave my body somewhere :P )

Unfortunately though I need to log out in like 5 minutes.
Let's keep the pressure up on this one... I smell an LSR coming on... maybe to expressly allow recording in one's on home home... or better yet, to always allow recording of any interaction with police.
The former has a better chance of getting through, since I am sure the AG and friends will oppose the latter.

Punt3r

I recently moved to NH (Merrimack), and I've haven't had a reason to write the state legislators here yet... but this story pisses me off so much, I sure as hell will be writing them now. Thanks for posting the link to nhfree.com on slashdot. I think I might like it here.

Quote from: d_goddard on June 29, 2006, 02:40 PM NHFT
This story made it to Slashdot:
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/29/188221