• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

WTF?? Hillary and Sununu demand "safer cars"

Started by KBCraig, August 10, 2006, 02:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Recumbent ReCycler

I got an idea, why don't we let people install rear viewing video cameras in the bumper or the tailgate?  Of course we would have to repeal RSA 266:75 if you want to be able to view the screen from the driver's seat. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xxi/266/266-75.htm
Quote266:75 Television. ? No person shall drive any motor vehicle equipped with any television viewer, screen or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast which is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or which is visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.

KBCraig

Quote from: aries on August 10, 2006, 07:26 PM NHFT
I wish more manufacturers would design cars so the lights stayed on as long as the car is running.

Bad, bad, bad idea.

Daytime headlights is the only visibility advantage that motorcycles have. When everything on the road has DRLs, motorcycles become invisible again.

Most GM products have them, to be compatible with Canada.

Kevin

9thmoon

Quote from: KBCraig on August 10, 2006, 11:39 PM NHFT
I wish more manufacturers would design cars so the lights stayed on as long as the car is running.

Bad, bad, bad idea.

Daytime headlights is the only visibility advantage that motorcycles have. When everything on the road has DRLs, motorcycles become invisible again.

Most GM products have them, to be compatible with Canada.

Kevin

In the Pacific Northwest, and probably anyplace else perpetually gloomy and gray, dark- or gray cars without headlights on get smashed into.  I personally run with my highbeams. 

aries

The first thing I do when I get into my car is the headlights go on, no matter how bright it is. It increases visibility in even the slightest clouds or fog, and it's much safer... Yesterday driving back from Berlin it was very dark and rainy, yet many people still didn't have their headlights on, very unsafe... and for some reason, cops never turn them on until dark!

And on a completely unrelated note, Fox News is talking about houses raided in Waltham, and how Manchester airport is going to beef up security again... it took me a while to figure out this was England they were talking about.

lildog

One point I think many here are also over looking is that this should it be made into law will be one more tax on the poor and middle class.

After all these features on all cars wouldn't be free for car manufactures to put on.  Their development, parts etc all cost money.  And you know that businesses aren't going to just soak these costs.  Nope, they are passed on to you and I forcing us to pay more because of the lowest common denominators of society (bad drivers)

Lloyd Danforth

Move to Canada

My ex and I lived on Mt. Desert Is in Maine in 1990.  Lots of Canadian tourists.  We didn't know that Canadians drive around with their lights on all day.  We signaled everyone of them that they had their lights on, for weeks,  until we learned better.

Dreepa

Quote from: Defender of Liberty on August 10, 2006, 07:59 PM NHFT
I got an idea, why don't we let people install rear viewing video cameras in the bumper or the tailgate?  Of course we would have to repeal RSA 266:75 if you want to be able to view the screen from the driver's seat. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xxi/266/266-75.htm
Quote266:75 Television. ? No person shall drive any motor vehicle equipped with any television viewer, screen or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast which is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or which is visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.
hmmmm Does that made the new Honda Odysseys illegal?
I think that some have cameras in the bumper that display on the dash?
I think a few people have Hondas on this forum.
It would be great if we could get a cop and have him drive down to the Honda dealership and arrest them.  Then let Honda fight to repeal that RSA.

burnthebeautiful

So what's the proposal? That it become illegal to drive cars without all these safety features? There's no possible way you could make a law like that, with all the old cars...

aries

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on August 11, 2006, 11:04 AM NHFT
So what's the proposal? That it become illegal to drive cars without all these safety features? There's no possible way you could make a law like that, with all the old cars...

No, American laws never work that way, all previous models will be allowed until they die off, it's just new ones that can't be made without these features, and there's likely not going to be a requirement that drivers utilize or maintain them, just that they are initially there.

FrankChodorov

don't you think this is the jr. senator from NH's way of being one of the first republican to work with the next president of the us to show bi-partisanism in the senate which is suppose to be a collegial body?

;D

tracysaboe

Quote from: aries on August 11, 2006, 08:09 AM NHFT
The first thing I do when I get into my car is the headlights go on, no matter how bright it is. It increases visibility in even the slightest clouds or fog, and it's much safer... Yesterday driving back from Berlin it was very dark and rainy, yet many people still didn't have their headlights on, very unsafe... and for some reason, cops never turn them on until dark!

And on a completely unrelated note, Fox News is talking about houses raided in Waltham, and how Manchester airport is going to beef up security again... it took me a while to figure out this was England they were talking about.

Ditto. It's easier for people to see you. It's amazing how easy it is to almost miss cars w/o their lights on -- even in the slightest fog in the middle of the day.

Tracy

tracysaboe

Quote from: aries on August 11, 2006, 11:13 AM NHFT

No, American laws never work that way, all previous models will be allowed until they die off, it's just new ones that can't be made without these features, and there's likely not going to be a requirement that drivers utilize or maintain them, just that they are initially there.

Tell that to the EPA!  My wife's car had a sensor go off because of the thing the EPA mandates in new cars that burns the fuel vapers was out.  I asked the shop if they could just disconnect that part and change the computer so the car wouldn't shut down for that particular thing. He siad he wasn't allowedto. It was illegal. Practically the Holy Grail of the EPA he said. I told him I wouldn't tell anybody, but he wasn't willing. As it was he just reset the computer and the sensor glitch fixed itself. 

It just ticks me off that half of the reason new cars break down these days is because of laws that force companies to put things in cars that are completely useless. Just more stuff to go wrong.

Tracy

lildog

Quote from: tracysaboe on August 11, 2006, 01:09 PM NHFT
Quote from: aries on August 11, 2006, 11:13 AM NHFT

Tell that to the EPA!  My wife's car had a sensor go off because of the thing the EPA mandates in new cars that burns the fuel vapers was out.  I asked the shop if they could just disconnect that part and change the computer so the car wouldn't shut down for that particular thing. He siad he wasn't allowedto. It was illegal. Practically the Holy Grail of the EPA he said. I told him I wouldn't tell anybody, but he wasn't willing. As it was he just reset the computer and the sensor glitch fixed itself.

Tracy, you aren't following what aries was saying... if it was on the car when you bought it, then by law it has to be there.  But if you bought a 1950s car that never had the EPA sensor in the first place, then you don't need to put one on.

tracysaboe

No. I'm disputing this part

Quoteand there's likely not going to be a requirement that drivers utilize or maintain them, just that they are initially there.

Tracy

aries

In antique cars with no seatbelts I think every state exempts you from wearing one.