• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

End Marijuana Prohibition Rally, Let's get active.

Started by earthhaven, August 21, 2006, 07:48 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

scheck

I'm sorry, but what is the reasoning behind legalizing all drugs?  I realize marijuana is virtually harmless, so I'm all for that, but some drugs are just horrendous.  Cops that bust crystal meth labs on a regular basis have severe health problems later on in life.  If a rental house is used as a meth lab, it's real estate suicide to tell the potential buyer the previous tenant's actions.  People can live in apartments or houses where meth labs were and still be breathing in toxic fumes for years. 

The libertarian lemon test for any activity is always:

"is it hurting anyone?"

Then why do people push for legalization of ALL drugs?  Surely there are drugs that cause harm to more than just the user. 

FTL_Ian

Legal drugs are produced in controlled lab environments, not bathrooms and sheds.

Legal drugs are subject to honest competition, driving price down.  As opposed to the black market's greatly inflated prices and violent competition.

Since prices are low, addicts will not have to rob and do harm to get money to feed their habit.

Since drugs will be produced by legitimate businesses, impurities will no longer endanger users.

Legal drugs mean everyone is safer.

This only scratches the surface on why all drugs should be deregulated, including prescription drugs.

d_goddard

Quote from: scheck on August 23, 2006, 11:14 AM NHFT
I'm sorry, but what is the reasoning behind legalizing all drugs?
Watch this video from LEAP:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4193106910171759777

<<edit: fixed LEAP link>>

Fluff and Stuff

I'm sorry, but what is the reasoning behind legalizing all drugs?  I realize marijuana is virtually harmless, so I'm all for that, but some drugs are just horrendous.  Cops that bust crystal meth labs on a regular basis have severe health problems later on in life.  If a rental house is used as a meth lab, it's real estate suicide to tell the potential buyer the previous tenant's actions.  People can live in apartments or houses where meth labs were and still be breathing in toxic fumes for years. 

Meth is around because the government cracked down on far better types of speed.  Speed (if only taken a few dozen times and in the recommend dosages) is harmless.  The government created the meth problem.  Legalizing speed (which is harmless) would completely stop the meth problem in a few years.

Atlas

First of all, people have the right to engage in self-destructive behavior, assuming the consequences of their actions. Not to mention, the high drug crime rates exist because of the illegality of the harder drugs, not pot. People don't usually kill or maim over bud, but it's different for the coke, heroin, crack, etc. where there's more money at stake. Plus, the addicts won't have to rob or steal from family and friends to support their habit if everything was legalized. Lastly, the US Constitution gives the federal gov no authority to regulate drugs period. Check out the long-forgotten 9th Amendment, then the 10th. Sound familiar?

firsty

The libertarian lemon test for any activity is always:

"is it hurting anyone?"

Then why do people push for legalization of ALL drugs?  Surely there are drugs that cause harm to more than just the user. 

all drugs should be legalized. marijuana legalization is gaining momentum because of the "medical marijuana" lobby/efforts.

of course, we already have medical opium products.

but they are "illegal" because it's up to a doctor how much we get, when, and why.

if they are making a law for our "own good," then they must consider themselves more in tune to what is good for me than i am.

our elected officials can barely represent their entire constituency except to the degree that the bribes they receive happen to benefit it. our elected officials have no idea what is best for me or for anyone else on an individual basis.

would you like to be required to get high in order to calm yourself down at work when you're getting too crazy for some people to deal with (in their opinion)?

of course not. so why is the govt (or moralists) allowed to dictate how i calm myself down when i feel i cant deal with the morons at work?

(as an example)

firsty

Quote from: Rebel on August 23, 2006, 01:54 PM NHFT
First of all, people have the right to engage in self-destructive behavior, assuming the consequences of their actions. Not to mention, the high drug crime rates exist because of the illegality of the harder drugs, not pot. People don't usually kill or maim over bud, but it's different for the coke, heroin, crack, etc. where there's more money at stake. Plus, the addicts won't have to rob or steal from family and friends to support their habit if everything was legalized. Lastly, the US Constitution gives the federal gov no authority to regulate drugs period. Check out the long-forgotten 9th Amendment, then the 10th. Sound familiar?

hell yeah. hey i know my peter mcwilliams. illegal drugs violate pretty much the entire constitution, from general intent to each detail.

:)

earthhaven

Quote from: nhorml on August 23, 2006, 10:06 AM NHFT
I've been contacted by a few people to participate in the proprosed rally. My name is Phil and I used to run NHORML. A few years ago I produced the only pro cannabis rallies in NH for 3 consecutive years.

If your group is looking to make an impact, gain media attention as well as public support, you'll need to find a location outside of Keene to be taken seriously. Everyone already equates Keene as the hippie capitol of the state. Holding a rally there won't get your message out.

If your willing to hold the event in one of the major cities, I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. The best place you can hold the event is in Manchester or the State House in Concord.

You'll also need a fair amount of money for permits, insurance, sound system, and stage. The bands will play for free and you can find vendors everywhere.

Is there an organization or just a group of people who've come together for a common purpose?

What's the budget?

Phil 

Although it would be awesome to have a huge rally with bands and a stage outside the state capital, we don't have a budget besides what a few people can come up with. If we have the rally at the head of the square we would already have a stage. Do you really thing it would do nothing to have a rally in Keene? One of the main reasons we want to have it in Keene is to get Keene State students to get active, and I don't think that would happen if we had the rally outside of Keene.

FTL_Ian

Agreed.  I say keep it in Keene.  I think it being a college town will be helpful.

Hopefully NHNormal will still want to be involved in some form.

Dave Ridley

Phil , great to have you here!   Thanks also for running for rep...

KBCraig

I stumbled across this last night on the FSP site. I thought it was a good exercise in thinking about the possibilities.

"A Policeman in the Free State"

http://freestateproject.org/about/essay_archive/policeman.php

Dave Ridley

Dave Ridley

we have a new member here who suggests that keene is the wrong place to have such a rally since it would be ignored by the rest of the state as just another keene hippie thing.   He suggestss Manchester or State House.   On the other hand, if we could just get keene authorities to stop enforcing pot laws, that would be enough, and if that's the goal who cares what the rest of the state thinks?  maybe a rally could take us in that direction, maybe it could use some follow-up outreach to the cops.

I got on the air at WKBK a while back and made an appeal to keene cops to do the right thing when they see pot - ignore it!

Dave Ridley

earthhaven

Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 25, 2006, 05:02 AM NHFT
we have a new member here who suggests that keene is the wrong place to have such a rally since it would be ignored by the rest of the state as just another keene hippie thing.   He suggestss Manchester or State House.   On the other hand, if we could just get keene authorities to stop enforcing pot laws, that would be enough, and if that's the goal who cares what the rest of the state thinks?  maybe a rally could take us in that direction, maybe it could use some follow-up outreach to the cops.

I got on the air at WKBK a while back and made an appeal to keene cops to do the right thing when they see pot - ignore it!

Very good point. I think having the rally in Keene will also help to get people active who, after going to the rally in Keene, would be willing to make the trip to Concord or Manchester in the future.

Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 25, 2006, 05:03 AM NHFT
why not do it this october?

This will give us plenty of time to find speakers and really get the word out.