• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Martian Real Estate

Started by citizen_142002, August 22, 2006, 07:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen_142002

This might seem like a way off the wall topic, but is an area of interest to me.
I believe that the terraforming of mars is an important and acheivable goal, if a relatively long term one. I have heard esimates that if green house gases can be produced in the part per million quantity, gradual warming would start in a chain reaction that would lead to a life supporting atmosphere in one hundred years.
Is there a framework in place to allow for private development of this plan and the surface of mars? Is there a system to allow for speculative land purchase on mars? I imagine the system would be difficult to impliment/regulate since it would be an international market.
I realize that most of the content on this forum focuses on NH, and that's the right way to protect our liberty, but NH is a small chunk of one continent on one planet, and I think that humanities horizons will have to broaden to secure our long term survival.

Braddogg

Kat Kanning

Caleb

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. In fact, it's cold as hell. And there's no one there to raise them if you did.

Dreepa

Quote from: citizen_142002 on August 22, 2006, 07:20 PM NHFT
Is there a framework in place to allow for private development of this plan and the surface of mars? Is there a system to allow for speculative land purchase on mars? I imagine the system would be difficult to impliment/regulate since it would be an international market.

First people there can have it all (if there aren't any Martians)
I wonder if you would have to pay economic rent to people on Earth?
Does Georgism account for other planets? >:D

Braddogg

Quote from: Dietrich Bonhoeffer on August 22, 2006, 09:04 PM NHFT
Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. In fact, it's cold as hell. And there's no one there to raise them if you did.

And I think it?s gonna be a long long time 'til touch down brings me 'round again to find I?m not the man they think I am at home.

citizen_142002

Well yes Mars is cold as hell now. That's why you'd have to manufacture enough of an atmosphere to hold in solar heat. Once you warm the planet to a certain level, you have to import plants such as lichens and mosses that will grow in a tundra like environment. You continue to build the atmoshpere and once the planet warms enough polar ice caps will begin to melt and make liquid water available. Mars will always be dryer than Earth unless there is a large amount of underground water.
The idea is to make Mars a habitable place.
So no one knows what the complications of property speculation would be? I believe that such investment is the only thing that will give people the incentive to invest the requisit motivation to "improve" the planet.

9thmoon

Oh, no, no, no.

Say, don't we already have a Valentine on this forum?  I think he gets first dibs. 

Dave Ridley

Space is fascinating.  But unless there is something we're all missing.... living on Mars would be a lot less desirable and exciting than living in an orbital habitat.

People assume that since we live on a planet now, that is the best type of place for us.  But planets are probably more like wombs...a good place for earlier stages of our evolution but not the ideal place to live out our whole existence as a species.

Based on what we currently know about physics and biology, the best places for humans are probably mile-long cylinders orbiting relatively close to earth.  Kind of like Babylon 5.  Inside such a habitat you have a sense of being outside; there is weather similar to earth, but you can control it.  You have normal gravity, if you want it, but you can experience half gravity or zero gravity if you go to a different part of the habitat.

You have free unlimited energy from the sun 24/7.   Easy cheap access to the rest of space, asteroids, comets, the moon...where you can get the minerals you need.   You have no 20 minute delay communicating with Earth; normal internet and phone access would be possible.   No sandstorms or wiild unpredictible swings in temperature.  You can strap on a pair of wings and fly like a hawk. 

You have none of these things on Mars.  There you get most of the disadvantages of Earth and few of the advantages.  Same goes for most other planets. Planets are just the bottom of a gravity well.   They are something for us to escape, not to seek.

Unfortunately, NASAy has seen to it that most of us will die in this womb, and that the habitats already within technological reach are not built for many decades.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Dreepa on August 22, 2006, 09:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: citizen_142002 on August 22, 2006, 07:20 PM NHFT

First people there can have it all (if there aren't any Martians)
I wonder if you would have to pay economic rent to people on Earth?
Does Georgism account for other planets? >:D

yes, the whole material universe is subject to Locke's proviso (enclosure is just so long as one has left enough and as good in common for others)

BaRbArIaN

So does that mean, in your view, that when the second expedition to Mars arrives after the first has set up shop, that the first now has to give the second group welfare to make up for the "pain" of having to split the planet up?   Puhleez.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: BaRbArIaN on August 23, 2006, 08:32 AM NHFT
So does that mean, in your view, that when the second expedition to Mars arrives after the first has set up shop, that the first now has to give the second group welfare to make up for the "pain" of having to split the planet up?   Puhleez.

are you suggesting that the first one who lands on mars get to claim it all to him/herself?

why not the first person who viewed it through a telescope then?

BaRbArIaN

Posession is 9/10 of the law.   Posession implies the ability to keep others off your property.  Once you claim something you defend it.   I'm not saying that the first people on Mars own all of it, but if they set up a colony and are independent, nobody else has a claim on their resources by the mere fact of showing up there.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: BaRbArIaN on August 23, 2006, 08:57 AM NHFT
Posession is 9/10 of the law.   Posession implies the ability to keep others off your property.  Once you claim something you defend it.   I'm not saying that the first people on Mars own all of it, but if they set up a colony and are independent, nobody else has a claim on their resources by the mere fact of showing up there.

no problem as long as they have left enough and as good for others...

not too hard to do on Mars where the quality of the "land" does not change and you will have to be isolated from the elements so it won't matter where you locate.

firsty

there is no way, with my tendency towards paranoia, nitemares and sleep paralysis, i could ever live on a planet that i first encountered via ray bradbury's book and miniseries. simply impossible.

you guys all go to mars. i'll hold down the fort in the adirondacks.