• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

UCLA: "Show ID or get tasered"

Started by KBCraig, November 16, 2006, 12:51 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketman

Quote from: mvpel on November 20, 2006, 02:42 PM NHFT
I guess that was after the point I stopped watching since I was getting tired of listening to his hysterics.

I stopped watching because it was making me ill to see a human being treated like an animal.

Rocketman

Not to suggest animals should be treated that way, either...

Rocketman

they might go into hysterics, and who'd want to see that?   ::)

mvpel

I watched it again, and I still don't see what you're referring to with the stairs.  What's the timestamp?

And Error, my friend, this guy made his bed, fluffed his pillows, and put a mint on them.  Unprovoked?  Yes, beyond a certain point, as I've mentioned above with respect to active vs. passive resistance, but he started the avalanche of provocation when he told the CSOs to F-off during the 11:00pm students-only check.  And if he had the strength to scream "I said I would leave" at the top of his lungs, shouldn't he have had the strength to stand up and leave if he was going to, leaving aside the fact that the cops should have had the strength to haul him out of there if he wasn't?  The musculoskeletal effects of a Taser end when the current is turned off.

mvpel

UCLA REGULATIONS ON ACTIVITIES, REGISTERED ORGANIZATIONS AND USE OF PROPERTIES
QuoteIV. USE OF UNIVERSITY PROPERTIES

A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

3. All persons on University property are required, for reasonable cause, to identify themselves to, and comply with instructions of, authorized University officials acting in the performance of their duties. Authorized Representatives of a Registered Campus Organization may request identification of persons in the Organization's business meetings.

Is this policy outlandishly and unacceptably unreasonable on the campus of a university?  Is closing the library to non-students at 11:00pm as an effort to insure the safety of the students working at the library overnight an outlandishly and unacceptably unreasonable measure to take?

mrapplecastle

so you feel the use of the taser was justified

KBCraig

Mike, you're sure going out of your way to "understand" the police, especially for a guy who's had his own run-in with authority-abusing police.

You're making it hard for me to slow the rate of your karma decline. I keep trying, but I'm outnumbered by the smiters.  ;)

Kevin

error

The university can certainly create an identification policy. They are, after all, another government bureaucracy, and all of their students have paid (or stolen from others) for the privilege of being part of the government bureaucracy.

This in no way excuses the behavior of the UCLA police in this matter.

mvpel

Quote from: KBCraig on November 20, 2006, 06:51 PM NHFT
Mike, you're sure going out of your way to "understand" the police, especially for a guy who's had his own run-in with authority-abusing police.

It's because of that incident that I understand how much worse it could have gone for me had I been a big loudmouthed dick about it and forced them to carry me, blubbering and screaming obscenities, from the bookstore.

Lawsuits are a dish best served cold.  It's unfortunate that the adoption snafus pushed me past the sue-by date.

Kinda sad that the karma is used to enforce intellectual conformity, in addition to punishing personal attacks and poor forum citizenship.

mvpel

Quote from: error on November 20, 2006, 07:01 PM NHFTThis in no way excuses the behavior of the UCLA police in this matter.

Of course it doesn't excuse them, but it sets forth the framework in which their abusive behaviour came about - the student in question set the stage for it by choosing to be a prick about a university policy that he'd agreed to upon signing up as a tuition-paying student of the institution because of some imagined racial slight stemming from a chip on his shoulder so large as to be a gold-mine for his chiropractor.

Rocketman

That Rosa Parks should have just given up her seat.  I'll bet she didn't even have ID...

error

Quote from: Rocketman on November 20, 2006, 09:03 PM NHFT
That Rosa Parks should have just given up her seat.  I'll bet she didn't even have ID...

Look who joined her at that same jail during the bus boycotts:

They didn't have tasers back then, but boy, they sure had rope and strong trees!

mvpel

Oh, so now a guy who's screaming at the top of his lungs when asked to show his student ID as part of a nightly (every night at 11:00pm) routine to help assure some measure of security to night-owl library users is heir to Rosa Parks?

Do you have any comment on the five year old little girl who was molested in the bathroom of a public library that I posted above?

Or on these:

A homeless man who tried to rape an 8-year-old girl and left her for dead in the bathroom of a Center City library...

Student raped in [library] bathroom, college reacts (Ohlone College in Fremont, California)

Tell me, will you, is a simple security policy and procedure of restricting university library access to students paying tens of thousands of dollars a year in tuition to the university from 11:00pm to 7:00am a reasonable one, or is it not?  Are you seriously comparing this policy to racial segregation in the deep south?

And somehow I don't think Rosa Parks screamed "F--- OFF," or "DON'T TOUCH ME," at the top of her lungs when she was asked to leave her seat on the bus, but that could be just me.

Maybe UCLA should just close the library and drag everyone out, kicking and screaming, at 11:00pm.  Save them some headaches, that's for sure.

error

No, I think she said something like "No, I'm not moving." But I don't have the historical record in front of me.

As for the stories you mentioned, it seems that the libraries should have their security at the bathroom doors...

Spencer

Quote from: mvpel on November 20, 2006, 09:24 PM NHFT
Student raped in [library] bathroom, college reacts (Ohlone College in Fremont, California)

My favorite quote from the above article is:

Twenty-five percent of all Americans have been sexually assaulted,
according to Marcia Blackstock, executive director of Bay Area Women
Against Rape.