• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Very rough draft of a press release. Comments/suggestions/denigration welcome

Started by Caleb, December 12, 2006, 08:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - 12/12/06

Russell Kanning
88 Sparrow
Keene, NH 03431
(603) 357-2049

NEW HAMPSHIRE UNDERGROUND ACTIVISTS PLAN CONNECTICUT FLAG BURN

WHO:      NEW HAMPSHIRE UNDERGROUND, NEW HAMPSHIRE SONS OF LIBERTY

WHAT:   UN FLAG BURN/CONNECTICUT FLAG BURN

WHEN:   SATURDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2006.  UN FLAG BURN AT NOON.                 CONNECTICUT FLAG BURN AT 2:00 PM.

WHERE:   SHORTY DAWKINS HIDEAWAY.  161 ASHUELOT ST. WINCHESTER, NH

On Saturday, December 12, 2006, the New Hampshire Underground will be conducting its third annual UN flag burn.  The group, which advocates for smaller government, began burning UN flags two years ago to demonstrate its disgust with the United Nations, and the centralization of power that it represents.

But this year, the UN flag burn will come with a twist:  At 2:00 pm, the group will also commence burning Connecticut State flags in order to protest the incarceration of Winchester resident Lauren Canario.

Canario was arrested in New London, Connecticut on September 22, 2006 for peacefully reading a book on the porch of a New London property that had been seized by eminent domain. Canario had been active in the fight to resist eminent domain, which she views as government sanctioned theft.  Canario was charged with criminal trespass.

To this date, Canario has been held without a trial, nor has any trial been scheduled.  Repeated appeals by friends and family to Connecticut government officials have been ignored.  Friends have contacted the judge, prosecutor, even the governor of Connecticut. Numerous individuals have requested the writ of habeas corpus in her behalf, and yet the State of Connecticut continues to hold Canario as a political prisoner.

The New Hampshire Underground demands the immediate release of political prisoner Lauren Canario. 

Individuals are welcome to participate in burning the UN flag as well as the Connecticut flag.  Spectators and photographers are also welcome. 

Directions to Shorty Dawkins Hideaway:

From junction of 10, 119, and 78:
Take route 119 west towards Hinsdale.
At the first yellow blinking light, turn left onto Ashuelot Street.
Shorty's is the first driveway on the right.

David

KBCraig

Quote from: Caleb on December 12, 2006, 08:28 PM NHFT
To this date, Canario has been held without a trial, nor has any trial been scheduled.

"To this date, Canario has been held without trial. No trial has been scheduled."

Caleb

yes ... I agree kev.  and the date is wrong.  Sat. 12/16 ... not Sat 12/12.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Caleb on December 12, 2006, 08:28 PM NHFTThe group, which advocates for smaller government,
The group doesn't have any shared position on government.
How about "activists from the NHUnderground will be....."?

Some in the group advocate no government .... and no UN power.

Thank you,
Russell Kanning
(staunch undergrounder)

Braddogg

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 13, 2006, 01:39 AM NHFT
Quote from: Caleb on December 12, 2006, 08:28 PM NHFTThe group, which advocates for smaller government,
Some in the group advocate no government .... and no UN power.

I suppose "no government" is "smaller government"  ;D

error

Lloyd Danforth

While I think burning the CT Flag is a good idea,  I see no point in adding it to the press release.  If you do, it ceases to be the third UN Flag Burning and becomes something else.

error

I suggest informing the Connecticut media that CT flags will be burned.

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Tom Sawyer

We will create an image and send to the CT governor and everyone else we can think of. Another post card moment. ;D

Rocketman

I like the press release.  I'd consider adding a quote from somebody, something to the effect of "If the people of Connecticut don't want us to burn their state flag, they should make their government stop taking political prisoners and holding them without trial."

aworldnervelink

I like it, although I would drop the "Shorty Dawkins Hideaway" language. Sounds countrified to us urban types, and perhaps even bizarre to those who aren't in on the joke. I would say something like "The residence/property of..." or simply "a private residence".

FTL_Ian

One may like to contact that nice reporter lady from The Day.  I believe John or Jim has her info.