• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Problem with Roadrunner

Started by FTL_Ian, December 19, 2006, 04:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Anyone here on Keene TWC's Roadrunner and operating behind a router?

Kat Kanning

FTL_Ian

I'm behind a linksys router, and I cannot use gtalk to send files over roadrunner.  Gtalk DOES work over my Verizon DSL through the same router.  I've tried swapping cable modems and that doesn't fix it.

Do you use Gtalk?

Russell Kanning

error

Gtalk? You mean Google Talk? Roadrunner's probably blocked something important. Cable companies tend to do that.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: error on December 20, 2006, 02:45 AM NHFT
Gtalk? You mean Google Talk? Roadrunner's probably blocked something important. Cable companies tend to do that.

Yes, but it works when I eliminate the router and hook directly in to the cable modem.  Problem with the router, right?  But Google Talk's file transfer works fine through the router on my DSL connection.  I thought perhaps the WAN port the cable modem was hooked up to was malfunctioning, so I hooked up the cable modem to the same WAN port the DSL was on and Gtalk file transfers continued to fail.  Failed on two cable modems, and neither of them have internal routers, to my knowledge.

Is this strange or what?

error

If it works when you eliminate the router, then it's the router, even if it does work on your DSL connection.

What sort of router is it?

FTL_Ian

Kat Kanning

You likely have to open up a port on your router.  Look at info for gtalk to find out what ports needs to be open for it to work.

FTL_Ian

Tried that, and that doesn't work.  Besides, it works over the DSL through the router with no ports open.

error

Bizarre. Maybe the router is confused and thinks it can only forward your ports through the DSL, and not the cable connection?

FTL_Ian

Quote from: error on December 20, 2006, 10:42 AM NHFT
Bizarre. Maybe the router is confused and thinks it can only forward your ports through the DSL, and not the cable connection?

But I'm not forwarding any ports for Gtalk.   It's baffling.

FTL_Ian

Besides, I can assign each machine to a specific connection, so it should know just fine where to send things...

FTL_Ian

The most notable difference in setup in the router is that the Cable modem is DHCP while the Verizon is PPPoE.

error

I haven't had time to look into this; I was too busy screwing around with your November torrent. But I'll get to it! :)