• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Property Tax Question

Started by Grunt, January 03, 2005, 02:02 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunt

Anyone know what the median property tax is in NH? Does it fluctuate wildly depending on location, or is it generally within a few points state-wide?

The reason I ask is that I am a disabled veteran, and according to one regulation I saw, 100% disabled vets are immune to property tax up to $2000 per year. I wont be able to afford more then a $100,000 house, so I should plan accordingly.

Can I get some love here?

VETERANS CREDIT
1) The veteran must be a resident of the State of New Hampshire for at least one (1) year previous to April 1st of the year in which the credit is applied for, 2) has to have served not less than ninety (90) days in the Armed Forces of the United States in a war or conflict as outlined in RSA 72:28; 3) must have been honorably discharged. 4.) for services in any armed conflict since May 8, 1975 must have either a.) Armed Forces expeditionary medal or B.) theater of operation service medal.

A credit in the amount of $100.00 is applied to the amount of tax due. A credit of $2,000 is also available to the Veteran if he/she is 100% permanently disabled as a result of a service connected injury.  Documentation from the US Veteran's Administration is required.  This applies also to widows (who have not remarried) of disabled veterans. A copy of the DD214 or discharge paper is required when applying.

http://www.derry.nh.us/assessor/default.htm

Kat Kanning

As I understand it, the tax varies quite a bit across NH.  Here are the exemptions for Keene:

http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/assessing/exemptionsandcredits.htm

AlanM

The rates vary quite a bit from town to town, but more important than the rate is the assessed valuation. A house in the seacoast is very expensive, so the valuation is high, hence, regardless of the rate, the tax you pay is high. 100k won't get you much in the seacoast area. Maybe a mobile home on a small lot. 100k in Whitefield will get you a house with some land. Values are skyrocketing in the seacoast, whereas values are raising more slowly in the North Country.

Grunt

Gotcha. I am still juggling where I will move to. I suspect I wont be able to afford to live in Manchester, Concord, or Nasuhua but I will need to be close to those cities. So maybe Derry or one of the towns west of the core cities? I dont know enough about the state to make a firm decision. Not yet at least.

AlanM

Grunt,
  From a cost perspective, you might want to look at a place like Boscawen, just outside Concord. Easy access to Rte. 93, and thence down to Manchester and Nashua. Boscawen to Nashua is probably only 45 minutes.

Grunt

Looks like I will have to visit NH and get a feel for things. Its all a bit overwhelming, plus there is little room for error.

Russell Kanning

Well if you have little room for error, you should check it out in person. I would think that real estate prices would be higher on the list than the property taxes. We plan on getting rid of those nasty things anyway. :)

Grunt

Oh, I do plan on running a little recon before I move in. I will need to rent an apartment for a bit as I check out housing prices and location. Someone posted that Keene has a high FSP member count, so I guess Ill look there first. Wish it was a bit closer to Manchester though.  :(

Russell Kanning

Almost everyone should move to Keene  ;D ....but I wouldn't want to drive back and forth to Manchester every day from here. :)

Grunt

I would only have to go to Manchster once a week. I doubt there is a rail service though, am I right?

Anyone know FSP folks who own any apartments in Keene?

Russell Kanning

We have "guard rail" service from here to Manchester. ;)

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: russellkanning on January 06, 2005, 07:43 AM NHFT
We have "guard rail" service from here to Manchester. ;)

?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: katdillon on January 06, 2005, 08:15 AM NHFT
Guard rails...they're those things alongside the roads.

And the service they perform, other than keeping you out of the ditch?

Grunt

Giving DOT workers something to maintain?

jcpliberty

I'd rather go into the ditch than maintain the DOT payroll.

JP