• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

AP article: Free Staters recruit 1,000 to move to New Hampshire

Started by KBCraig, January 23, 2007, 02:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Interesting that they chose Keene for the dateline.  ;)

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NH_FREE_STATERS_NHOL-?SITE=NHCON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Jan 23, 10:33 AM EST

Free Staters recruit 1,000 to move to New Hampshire

KEENE, N.H. (AP) -- More than a thousand small-government activists have pledged to move to New Hampshire within two years, leaders said.

The Free State Project said the first thousand supporters have volunteered to move to New Hampshire and start a libertarian enclave. The ultimate goal is for 20,000 "Free Staters" to move to New Hampshire to concentrate political efforts.

So far, 7,500 people have said they will move to New Hampshire within two years of the group reaching 20,000 commitments.

The first thousand people aim to set the groundwork for their coming peers.

Rosie the Riveter

As a NH native -- when NH won, I did the dance of joy -- when the first 1000 was successful, I was jumping for joy -- when the FSP gets to 20,000, my head will explode I'll be so ecstatic.    :bus: :wav:

money dollars

Quote from: KBCraig on January 23, 2007, 02:16 PM NHFT
So far, 7,500 people have said they will move to New Hampshire within two years of the group reaching 20,000 commitments.
The fisrt 5000 said they would move to NH within 5 years if the group reached 20,000 commitments by Sept. 2006.

I know some of you will say "there was never a Sept. 2006 deadline"....so I will go ahead and post a quote from thethe FSP's first 1000 member press release:

http://freestateproject.org/news/releases/1000members.php
QuoteThe membership numbers over the past year indicate that the project will meet its self-imposed deadline of September 2006 for the beginning of the move. The Free State Project has grown on average 25% each month; at this rate, the ultimate goal of 20,000 will be reached by the middle of 2003. As long as the membership continues to grow by at least 10% each month, the Project will reach its goal by early 2005 at the latest.

Russell Kanning

Tyler Stearns

I didn't realize the First 1000 was a success  :o.  I guess we will have to make room for all these new people coming in!

JonM

earthhaven

Pat K

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on January 23, 2007, 02:23 PM NHFT
As a NH native -- when NH won, I did the dance of joy -- when the first 1000 was successful, I was jumping for joy -- when the FSP gets to 20,000, my head will explode I'll be so ecstatic.    :bus: :wav:

Was any of this dancing taped and if so were can we see the video?  ;D

slim

I think the AP publishing an article about the first 1000 will draw a bunch more people to the FSP  ;D
I really don't like the large media but every bit of coverage will help to reach 20k.

KBCraig

Here's the FSP press release that prompted the article:

http://mmdnewswire.com/content/view/1175/

1000+ activists commit to be first wave to relocate to libertarian Free State

January 23, 2007

THE FREE STATE PROJECT
P.O. Box 1684
Keene, NH 03431

540-309-8255

Free State Project tops major goal: 1000+ activists commit to be first wave to relocate to libertarian Free State

Significant successes by early movers motivate others to follow

Keene, NH – January 23, 2007 – The national movement to recruit pro-liberty, small government activists to move to New Hampshire to concentrate their political efforts declared success this week in recruiting its first 1000 early-moving "pioneers."

The Free State Project (FSP) ran an almost yearlong campaign to sign up 1000 people to move early to the chosen state of New Hampshire while the Project continues to recruit for its ultimate goal of 20,000 participants. Those who sign up for the Project agree to move once all 20,000 have committed (currently, more than 7500 have signed up). But these "First 1000" have agreed to move within two years, regardless of when the others are recruited.

The purpose of the First 1000 campaign is to get more people on the ground earlier to effect early successes, to gain more attention for recruitment purposes, and to blaze the trail for the other 19,000 to follow. There are more than 170 early movers and 300 native Granite Staters already in New Hampshire. Here is just a small sample of their significant successes:

* An early mover was elected in November to the New Hampshire State House. Libertarians and other Free Staters hold about 30 public offices in the state.
    * Free Staters chair New Hampshire's Republican Liberty Caucus, Democratic Freedom Caucus, and Libertarian Party.
    * A Free Stater proposed and got legislation passed in 2006 ending the requirement for "state approval" of home schoolers' curricula.
    * Free Staters were a critical force in helping to defeat a statewide smoking ban, as well as a pilot program for a national ID card.

These successes have caught the attention of the national media, with TIME magazine saying in a November article, "They [FSP participants] could finally make a difference and show the rest of America what real liberty looks like – the kind where you don't have to wear seat belts or register your guns and nobody passes laws about what the neighbors can do in their bedroom."

FSP participants will work within New Hampshire's political system to reduce taxes and regulation and expand individual rights and free markets. Some will run for public office while others will use the tools of lobbying, civil disobedience, protests, or other peaceful means to affect political change. The state was chosen because of its small population and more freedomoriented culture.

"As Americans become more frustrated with expanding government at all levels – deficit spending, rising taxes, eminent domain abuse, invasions of privacy – and as both major parties seem focused on taking power away from the people and giving it to the state, we are looking for a way to reverse the trend. The Free State Project is a way like never before to focus our reforms in one place where we can have great success, and demonstrate that success to the rest of the country," said Ian Bernard, radio talk show host and sponsor of the First 1000 campaign.

Signers from across the country will be gathering February 22-25 in Concord, NH, for the FSP's New Hampshire Liberty Forum. The Forum is a chance for signers to learn about the state, as well as political action. Featured speakers will include likely Presidential candidate Congressman Ron Paul and libertarian and co-anchor of ABC's 20/20, John Stossel.

Free Staters are being welcomed by several groups, including the Coalition of New Hampshire Taxpayers, the Republican Liberty Caucus, the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance, the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire, and several Statehouse representatives and a former governor.

The Free State Project is not affiliated with any political party. More information can be found at www.FreeStateProject.org , or by contacting Brian Gottstein, Media Relations Manager, at x@x.x or 540-309-8255.

Individuals available for interviews:

Ian Bernard, syndicated radio and Internet talk show host, and sponsor of the First 1000 campaign, is a Free State Project participant. Bernard is the daily host of Free Talk Live (freetalklive.com), a freedom and free market-themed talk show. FTL was named "Best Political Podcast" of 2006 and "Best Cultural/Political Podcast" of 2005 (2005, 2006 Podcast Awards). TALKERS Magazine named it one of the most important talk shows of 2006. He moved to New Hampshire in 2006.

Varrin Swearingen, president of the Free State Project, moved to New Hampshire in 2004.

You can reach Bernard and Swearingen through Brian Gottstein.

# # #

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Pat K on January 23, 2007, 05:45 PM NHFT

Yup here you go -- Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NddyY2y2dhk

Pat K

KBCraig

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on January 23, 2007, 07:47 PM NHFT

Yup here you go -- Enjoy

When I think of "jumping for Joy", I think of Catalina, and "Jump Around":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBLGg7vW0ww

My name is Earl. But you can call me Chris. Or Ytvsu.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: error on January 23, 2007, 08:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on January 23, 2007, 07:47 PM NHFT

Yup here you go -- Enjoy

That is NOT FUNNY! :P

Wasn't anything to me. It stops after 4 minutes (4 minutes I'll never get back).

I can't get my diaper to stay up when I dance like that.