• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Registering to vote

Started by Quantrill, March 30, 2007, 07:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

powerchuter

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on April 07, 2007, 07:01 PM NHFT
Yup!   we'll need a daycare at the meetings before long

We already need a nursery room...
But a megaphone will suffice...
For now...

Quantrill

I'm not sure where you could verify this, but I've read that 1 out of 3 Americans owns guns and each gun owner on average has 3 or 4 guns.  So that would basically mean a little more than 1 gun for every American so roughly 300-400 million guns.

Again I have no idea how credible this is, but it seems to be a commonly-used talking point...

MaineShark

Quote from: GraniteForge on April 07, 2007, 11:56 PM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on April 07, 2007, 09:29 AM NHFTAmerican civilians hold more small arms than all the armies of every country on the planet, combined. 
I would love to hear where you get this math.  I have never seen a reasonable estimate that there are more than 300-400 million guns in civilian hands in the US, and my own extensive experience with guns tells me that a large percentage (perhaps 25%) are unusable, due to poor maintenance or unavailability of proper ammo.   Russia and China together certainly have more than that, India and Vietnam have huge stocks.  There's Israel and England, South Korea, Japan, the list of countries with large stockpiles of guns goes on, and most of those are in easily provided calibers, unlike that heirloom .32 Colt or .44 Auto Mag.

It's based on the number manufactured, less the number exported or known destroyed, and eliminates any firearm over 25 years of age, on the theory that most are not particularly useful, or may be inactive.

Certainly more accurate than the notion that Federal commerce laws make it illegal to own switchblades in NH, eh?

Joe

KBCraig

Quote from: MaineShark on April 08, 2007, 01:49 PM NHFT
It's based on the number manufactured, less the number exported or known destroyed, and eliminates any firearm over 25 years of age, on the theory that most are not particularly useful, or may be inactive.

My most useful firearms are all over 25 years old. We only have four that are newer than that: Winchester 1300, Ruger P97, Taurus M85UL (Mary's), and a Crickett .22 rifle (John David's).

If I had need to reach out and touch something, the rifle chosen would probably be over 60 years old.

thinkliberty

Certainly more accurate than the notion that Federal commerce laws make it illegal to own switchblades in NH, eh?

Joe

There is no federal law that makes owning a switchblade illegal in NH. the only federal law that makes hard for you to own a switchblade is that it illegal for anyone to sell you one from out of state or for anyone to manufacture a switchblade for sell from out of state. Unless you are in the military, police officer or government employee.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: KBCraig on April 08, 2007, 02:08 PM NHFT

My most useful firearms are all over 25 years old. We only have four that are newer than that: Winchester 1300, Ruger P97, Taurus M85UL (Mary's), and a Crickett .22 rifle (John David's).

If I had need to reach out and touch something, the rifle chosen would probably be over 60 years old.

Would that be one you bought new in the store?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: KBCraig on April 08, 2007, 02:08 PM NHFT

Come to think of it, i don't have a gun that isn't more than 60 years old

MaineShark

Quote from: KBCraig on April 08, 2007, 02:08 PM NHFTMy most useful firearms are all over 25 years old. We only have four that are newer than that: Winchester 1300, Ruger P97, Taurus M85UL (Mary's), and a Crickett .22 rifle (John David's).

Indeed.  I didn't make the choices.  However, eliminating those over 25 years has the added benefit of helping to account for unreportedly destroyed firearms of newer vintage.

Quote from: thinkliberty on April 08, 2007, 03:43 PM NHFTThere is no federal law that makes owning a switchblade illegal in NH. the only federal law that makes hard for you to own a switchblade is that it illegal for anyone to sell you one from out of state or for anyone to manufacture a switchblade for sell from out of state. Unless you are in the military, police officer or government employee.

Indeed.  That's why I used it as an example of an absurdity.

Quote from: GraniteForge on April 08, 2007, 04:45 PM NHFTNot at all.  You have to understand that no one really knows how many guns have been manufactured or destroyed in recent years, much less before serial numbers were mandatory.

Oddly enough, serial numbers have been required for quite a while...

And wouldn't unrecorded manufatures actually help my case?

Quote from: GraniteForge on April 08, 2007, 04:45 PM NHFTI have never heard the 25-year age limit, but it doesn't seem valid.  My neighbor regularly shoots a 45-70 that he has owned for 30 years and was built in the late 1800s.  My carry 1911 was built in the early 1940s.

See my reply to Kevin...

Quote from: GraniteForge on April 08, 2007, 04:45 PM NHFTAs to the comment about the knife law, I wasn't guessing on that.  That is the answer I got after pretty extensive research among the people who would be doing the arresting, prosecuting, and defending.  No one could find such a case in NH, so the chance of an arrest seems remote, but this definition of gravity knife has been used as a basis for arrest in other states, and in the absence of an appropriate definition in state law, the federal statute may be referenced.

Oh?  Who were they, precisely...?

Joe