• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

How about developing a wider range of alternate "currencies?"

Started by Dave Ridley, April 06, 2007, 09:00 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

thinkliberty

I would not use cigarettes, but tobacco. You do have to be careful about it.

For more info see:
http://agingfaq.nocturne.org/aging.php

Dave Ridley

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on April 08, 2007, 05:01 PM NHFT
I never believe that 'unsorted' claim

i dont either on ebay but i'm just trying to make the point that they are lots in circulated condition.   

Dave Ridley

Tobacco...that is interesting...   Wonder how you would sell it though.

Here is another idea:  Jim Beam whiskey.   After looking around on the net for twenty mintues the best price I found for it was $14.28/liter.  That is not a bulk price however.  I wonder if it would be possible to make that into a currency and at what valuation.   Is there a cheaper, well known whisky or a better price you know of at which it can be obtained?  Does trading in whisky as though it were a currency constitute a violation of some law and if so under what circumstances?  Does it have to be stored in any special way to prevent it from devaluing?   Can its containers survive a fire?  How well can it handle outdoor storage conditions?

Insurgent

Bottled whiskey is not affected by time or temperature. It ceases aging once bottled and unless you're in the Arctics it isn't going to freeze. It's not likely to survive a fire, though!

Jim Beam is somewhat expensive, due to the name recognition. Evan Williams is a decent, but very cheap whiskey. State stores sell a 1.75L jug for around $17, on average.

If we want to also support local New Hampshire business, perhaps General John Stark vodka would be in order--the Flaghill vineyard in Lee, NH sells their phenomenal vodka for $25 for a .750ltr bottle. Live Free, or Die!

error

MikeforLiberty

I like this idea. I got a little queezy at the "we" setting "the price/value" of things. I'm sure you aren't talking about a government style "We". So long as we have electricity,computers, and networks; we might be able to setup up a sort of 'market' for reaching values of item. What is the backup when SHTF?

Can the Ripple system be employed here? It still have not figured exactly how it works. I'm thinking on the fly here:
we setup 'bank' accounts where say I "deposit" 12 bottles whiskey, 100 oz silver, 10 oz gold and 1000 FRaud papers. I will guarantee that these items are in fact in my possession. Others with in our group will open accounts with 'Items Of Use'tm so our system will have lots of useful items in decentralized storage. Based on this store of items we can trade 'Items Of Use'tm IOUs that can be easily traded. I'm getting a little lost here, I'll post it for other to add to or help put back on track.

In any case, one of the problems of stashing away valuables is removing capital from investment. If, instead of burying gold in my backyard, I loan it to someone who would in turn buy some copper and corn; he could repay me with bottles of whiskey. So to stick this into our system, loans could be made which will be repaid with 'Items Of Use'tm.

This is all basic economics. I guess the idea is to get rid of the part that is based on FRaud money. So, in our system of placing values on 'Items Of Use'tm FRauds need to be seen for what the are; a poor store of value.

I'm hope someone can grab a piece of a thought out of this little ramble  :blush:

error

Oh, and while gold and silver might not have IMMEDIATE intrinsic value during a disaster scenario, it remains true that they do have value and will be intrinsically useful again. Even disasters don't last forever. So gold and silver are good bets going in. Aside from that, I wouldn't begin to speculate on what else might become money.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: error on April 09, 2007, 08:21 AM NHFT
Oh, and while gold and silver might not have IMMEDIATE intrinsic value during a disaster scenario, it remains true that they do have value and will be intrinsically useful again.
for me same goes anything that isn't usable by me ..... in a disaster what use do I have for cigs and booze? After a while I could sell them to others, but that would not be that much sooner than gold. :)

maybe you need to look at more expensive things that are worth storing :)

cathleeninnh

Yeah, I can't see much benefit in circulating necessities. When the need arises, I want stuff on hand. So, I would only circulate excess stuff. If only excess stuff circulates, then it isn't all that valuable, is it?

Cathleen

Dave Ridley

I think one tends to store more of things that one can easily and profitably circulate.  That is why most of us "store" thousands of FRNs (in banks).  I would store thousands of matches in fire resistant containers if I thought I could use them like FRNs.  They would likely not depreciate, and would remain a tradable and intrinsicly useful asset in a physical or monetary crisis.  FRNs might not.

Maybe we should look at this from the other end.  Is there anyone here who would accept John Stark vodka as payment, at a valuation of $25 per .750 bottle?  I know I would accept it, but would want to examine the prevailing prices first to set a valuation.   

I like the idea of an alternate currency being something that was locally produced. 

Dreepa

Quote from: DadaOrwell on April 09, 2007, 12:58 PM NHFT

I like the idea of an alternate currency being something that was locally produced. 
$40 FRN per gallon of NH maple syrup! :)

Insurgent

I'd accept General John Stark for currency. One other neat thing about buying it directly from the producer in Lee, is that when you buy something like 10 bottles they throw in one for free. If buying enough quantity they'll take 25% off the total, too.

When we had the alt expo at the Liberty Forum, I bought all the wines, vodka and soda pop there; something like $250 worth and they knocked off 25% because I bought so much. It's a pretty cool place to visit, too FYI http://flaghill.com/

Dave Ridley

Arright...after poking around the Net to see the price ranges I am also willing to accept John Stark vodka as payment.  For now I'd accept Insurgent's valuation of $25 per .750 liter bottle.

I'd welcome more information about the pricing and might revalue if I learn that it can be bought a lot more cheaply somewhere without having to buy a ton of it.  There is not that much info on the internet about it.

One thing to keep in mind:  These would probably be worth a lot if flaghill ever went out of business.

Who else is willing to join me and Insurgent in accepting this local treasure as a currency?

Oh also I learned today that matches appear to be worth roughly 1/4 of a penny.

Barterer

Quote from: DadaOrwell on April 06, 2007, 09:00 AM NHFT
OK here is an idea.  What if we were to start blurring the line somewhat between barter and money? 
*cough* www.ripple.libertybrew.com *cough*

Also, someone seriously needs to design, and mint some FSP coins.  If no one jumps on that soon, I just might.  Put a porcupine on one side and a Lauren Canario head on the other.    Forget stamping a USD equivalent on your coins like libertydollars, and don't use any formulas or ties to USD at all.  Just indicate the weight and purity of the silver in each coin (do 1/2 and 1oz. pieces of 3-nine-fine silver) and pass them among people who understand its value.  That's an idea I intend to carry out, but I mention it now because I'd be thrilled if something like that happened sooner than I can manage.