• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH booze monopoly netted $85 Million in 2006

Started by d_goddard, April 20, 2007, 09:50 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/lba/FinancialReports/Liquor2006.html

"During fiscal year 2006, the Liquor Commission?s operating revenues were $415.5 million and operating expenses were $330.7 million providing operating income of $84.8 million. Total nonoperating revenues for fiscal year 2006 were $18 million to provide $102.8 million of income, prior to operating transfers."

The liquor sales are a significant component of the State's overall income. It's a good yardstick to use when you see that a bill will cost a few dozens of millions.

lordmetroid

Ohh when on the topic of booze monopoly... Buying Absolut Vodka is... That's right, it's government product being sold for the purpose of oppression of the Swedish people. Anyone seen the advertisement of Absolut. It is 100% sarcasm as in Sweden you aren't allowed to advertise for high alcohole content bevarages. Think of the wicked number of more drunkards that would exists if such adveritsement was allowed!

CNHT

Quantrill

I'm still debating on whether or not to support the Shire by getting liquor from the Rest Stop state liquor store.

Having principles is one thing, but I could really go for some Captain Morgan...

powerchuter

We need to get the state out of the booze business!

KBCraig

Quote from: lordmetroid on April 20, 2007, 01:00 PM NHFT
Anyone seen the advertisement of Absolut. It is 100% sarcasm as in Sweden you aren't allowed to advertise for high alcohole content bevarages.

Absolut Sarcasm?
Absolut Monopoly?

Insurgent

As my friend Nik once pointed out, since this turns a profit at least it keeps taxes down  :)

forsytjr

Quote from: powerchuter on April 20, 2007, 11:25 PM NHFT
We need to get the state out of the booze business!
Let's get them out of education first.  Once you fix the spending problems, the taxing problems are much easier.  If you want to get them out of the booze business before lowering spending, that just shifts the burden elsewhere.  And at least this is an indirect tax. 

Quantrill

True.  I'm not opposed to all taxes, and this is a user-based tax, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.  But the fact that the state owns the liquor stores is what's disconcerting to me...

error

I also had to deal with state liquor stores while living in Oregon. In almost a year, I bought liquor there exactly once. When I lived a block from a well-stocked private liquor store, I bought liquor there all the time. This, I think, is what the state wants.

Puke

error

Puke

Indeed.
I always here the commercials about the state lottery on the radio at work.
All I can think of is why is it okay for the gov't to have gambling but not private gambling?

Microsoft, etc. has a monopoly? Hell no! The gov't has all the monopolies.
And Parker Brothers.  ;D

burnthebeautiful

The government has a monopoly on anything over 3.5% here. I buy most of my alcohol on the black market. One of the alcohol "dealers" I buy from does home delivery. Occasionally when I'm in a bind and can't get a hold of any "dealers" I will shop at a state liquor store, but I try to avoid it.

Quantrill