• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Gold: $470.60/oz

Started by Michael Fisher, September 21, 2005, 01:59 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

I plan on putting solar panels just cuz they are cool.

But I thought many of you are 'anarcho-capitalists'  doesn't that mean you believe the free market will solve all the problems?
I didn't know that most of you had 'bunker' ideas.  If so.. you had better move north not in the suburbs.

TNFSP you can crash at my place... we have plenty of food.   ;D

Russell Kanning

We are the free market .... there is noone else to magically fix things. I don't have a bunker. My interest in burning used vegetable oil is to save real money now, not because of any collapse.
I would use solar panels if they made sense for us. I like the idea of those earthships, because they would save money and need less energy to be piped into your home.
When we see things like gold going up .... we see inflation.

Michael Fisher

It's not about doomsday preparation.  It's about minimizing risk, avoiding inflation, and protecting my family from the unpredictability of mother nature, the US bubble economy, and the government.

ladyattis

It sounds like a good time to collect books on gardening, forraging, engine repair, and etc. Knowledge when applied properly is worth many times that of gold.

Oh, don't forget a good set of tools[wrench, saws(hack and hatchet types), hammer(claw), screw drivers(flat and phillips), pliers(especially vise grip types and needle nose), and etc(hand drills and so on)] Power tools are okay, but require electricity, hand tools are the best way to do. :)

-- Bridget

president

I plan on giving away copper jacketed lead. Anybody who steps out of line can get it.

ladyattis

Quote from: sung on October 13, 2005, 01:09 PM NHFT
I hear about buying gold when "TSHTF", but you can't eat precious metals. Or keep warm with them. Sure, you might be able to buy something with them NOW, but I'd rather have a few cases of those freeze dried meals and usefull supplies if something happens.

I can't remember the exact title, but I heard of an herbal medicine guidebook that was published in the 1960s. That would be quite useful in such situations, especially if you have the herbs on hand. :-)

-- Bridget

Lloyd Danforth

Books on eating in the wild by Euell Gibbons would be handy, although I had a bad experience with Arrow root once.

Michael Fisher

You don't have to choose between gold/silver and survival supplies. ?You can buy both. ?We've already gained a significant benefit from owning bullion as the US dollar is dying.

Supplies are my new priority. ?But what to buy?

How do we keep warm in the winter without a fireplace if the power goes out? ? ??? ?Our heater and oil will be worthless. ?We also have no food, water, tools, or anything else for an emergency. ?:o

Kat Kanning

Do you own some heavy duty sleeping bags?

Lloyd Danforth

Those modern kerosene spaceheaters that extinguish themselves if bumped work well and Kero is very safe to store.

Michael Fisher

Hmmm... a diesel space heater.

http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatalog/Paraffin_Diesel_Space_Heaters.html

How can a diesel space heater be "clean burning"?  ???

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: katdillon on October 13, 2005, 03:30 PM NHFT
Do you own some heavy duty sleeping bags?

I own one the goes to 45 and two that go to 30 degrees (which may be zipped together). ?However, I plan on getting a couple winter sleeping bags when I move to NH. ?You can get -5 bags for less than $100.

Dreepa

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on October 13, 2005, 03:24 PM NHFT
You don't have to choose between gold/silver and survival supplies. ?You can buy both. ?We've already gained a significant benefit from owning bullion as the US dollar is dying.

Supplies are my new priority. ?But what to buy?

How do we keep warm in the winter without a fireplace if the power goes out? ? ??? ?Our heater and oil will be worthless. ?We also have no food, water, tools, or anything else for an emergency. ?:o

You lived in Utah right?
Be like the mormons.
72 hour kit ( which every house should have)
1 year supply of food.

Michael Fisher

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on October 13, 2005, 03:51 PM NHFT
Hmmm... a diesel space heater.

http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatalog/Paraffin_Diesel_Space_Heaters.html

How can a diesel space heater be "clean burning"?? ???

I was thinking of a free standing kero space heater
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0899549197.1129238624@@@@&BV_EngineID=cchfaddfmdjjhjjcegecegjdghldghf.0&vertical=SEARS&sid=I0093600050004500085&pid=03275105000

They don't smell bad.  We used to take ours outside when starting it and when turning it off, which is when it smells the most.

Google:  Kerosene space heaters and you will see some that are vented, also.