• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

National ID Rebellion

Started by Kat Kanning, May 24, 2005, 04:44 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Here's what I'm thinking on an ID card burning:

Sometime toward the end of June or better yet, the 4th of July, we stage an ID card burning event.  I'd be promoting it across the country with all the groups/people I can find who are pissed off to the max about the Real ID act.  There would hopefully be burnings across the country, and we'd be sending a clear message to Washington that we're not going to put up with this crap.   

Questions:
What would be the best locale for this? 
Would we want arrests for this one? 
If so, what would be getting us arrested?

Lloyd Danforth

I would wait until we, actually, have Federally enforced I.D. for this.

Something else to consider.  In a world where government isn't running every aspect of our lives, one's reputation will determine if others will deal with you. In many instances, you are going to have to prove you are who you say you are.
Even in the early days of the U.S., people carried papers, discribing them, written by the minister, judge, or, someone authority type, from where they came, when they traveled. Failure to have these papers made it difficult to get accepted in a new town.

Kat Kanning

Unanimous Treason

Got some discussion on this going on here.

Why wait until it's a done deal?  Why not oppose it now while there's some chance of stopping it?

Having papers is one thing, having a national database with all your info, available on RFID readable at a distance, given over to foreign governments....is that what you want?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: katdillon on May 24, 2005, 07:44 AM NHFT
Unanimous Treason

Got some discussion on this going on here.

Why wait until it's a done deal?? Why not oppose it now while there's some chance of stopping it?

Having papers is one thing, having a national database with all your info, available on RFID readable at a distance, given over to foreign governments....is that what you want?

Of course not.
Then burn some Giant representations of National ID cards.  Burn lots of them!
I'm working on one now, for a print add.
But, burning pieces of ID, like driver's licenses, that people commonly accept, is, not only, low visability, but, people who may understand the dangers of a National ID, might not get it.

Lloyd Danforth

We could each make a giant representation of a National ID card on posterboard, with our pictures on them and take turns burning them.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: katdillon on May 24, 2005, 04:44 AM NHFT
Here's what I'm thinking on an ID card burning:

Sometime toward the end of June or better yet, the 4th of July, we stage an ID card burning event.? I'd be promoting it across the country with all the groups/people I can find who are pissed off to the max about the Real ID act.? There would hopefully be burnings across the country, and we'd be sending a clear message to Washington that we're not going to put up with this crap.? ?

Questions:
What would be the best locale for this??
Would we want arrests for this one??
If so, what would be getting us arrested?

To create a government response, civil disobedience events could be organized around the country to break ID-related laws.

-Burn passports (government property).
-Burn social security cards (government property).
-I can't think of anything else.? ????? ;)

This is a truly brilliant idea, Kat, especially considering what people are saying about Real ID on the net!!!

Michael Fisher

In my opinion, FORGET waiting for yet another form of federal ID to be implemented!  Real ID is the legal framework for a Hitleresque National ID card that MUST be stopped before it is fully implemented!

Burning other forms of national IDs would be an ideal way to protest against this!

FTL_Ian

I like the idea of burning a big social security card.  Will be much more symbolic and easier for the TV cameras to capture.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: FTL_Ian on May 25, 2005, 01:15 AM NHFT
I like the idea of burning a big social security card.? Will be much more symbolic and easier for the TV cameras to capture.

Good idea, but a symbolic social security card is not government property and there will be no arrest for this.

Kat Kanning

Could do both to make it more visual.  A big SS card bonfire with real ones thrown in.

GT

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 25, 2005, 09:31 AM NHFT
I like the idea of burning a big social security card.? Will be much more symbolic and easier for the TV cameras to capture.

Good idea, but a symbolic social security card is not government property and there will be no arrest for this.

I don't understand the added value of getting arrested. If the media shows up and covers the event in a positive light isn't that just as valuable? If 100 citizen show up to help/view the protest that would be even better.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: katdillon on May 25, 2005, 09:35 AM NHFT
Could do both to make it more visual.  A big SS card bonfire with real ones thrown in.

*nods*

Michael Fisher

Quote from: GDouglas on May 25, 2005, 10:06 AM NHFT

I don't understand the added value of getting arrested. If the media shows up and covers the event in a positive light isn't that just as valuable? If 100 citizen show up to help/view the protest that would be even better.

The difference between a protest and a civil disobedience is the difference between mediocre and extreme media coverage.  ;)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 25, 2005, 11:39 AM NHFTThe difference between a protest and a civil disobedience is the difference between mediocre and extreme media coverage.? ;)
I think it also shows the evil of the law better if someone is punished while hurting noone.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 25, 2005, 11:39 AM NHFT
Quote from: GDouglas on May 25, 2005, 10:06 AM NHFT

The difference between a protest and a civil disobedience is the difference between mediocre and extreme media coverage.? ;)

There are more factors than either of these to explain what attracts media attention.