• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Shire Silver Design Contest!

Started by ReverendRyan, December 20, 2007, 12:43 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 24, 2008, 08:34 AM NHFT
So no Shire Silver Contest in the Feb. newspaper?

I just reminded Ryan, who is pretty much in charge of the contest. He should be able to get something to you today.

Bald Eagle

Quote from: Ron Helwig on January 21, 2008, 11:33 AM NHFT
We had a great Shire Silver meeting last night. I'm hoping Bill posts the notes at http://shiresilver.org soon.

Well Heaven's to Betsy, I just might.
Of course, it would be helpful if I, oh I don't know, got an email asking me to do that - instead of happening across this post buried in a thread at random...   ::)

Lloyd Danforth

Kat Kanning

Maybe he's tired of being chased around his desk.

Bald Eagle

It's a big desk with lots 'o obstacles.
And I have to carry all that hair behind me.  And the guns.
I might knock over my coffee.   :icon_pirat:

Lloyd Danforth

Jay suggested a Carl Drega coin.

Porcupine_in_MA

Porcupine on one side, and the Liberty Bell on the other and "In Freedom We Trust" as the inscription..  8)

ReverendRyan

Deadline ended Sunday, press release forthcoming.....

Eli

Can we expect to see that release here?

ReverendRyan

http://shiresilver.org/sites/shiresilver.org/files/sspressrel031008.pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ryan Marvin
shiresilver@gmail.com

Ron Helwig
ron@ronhelwig.com

Shire Silver Announces Initial Bullion Design

Manchester, NH, March 10, 2008 - The Shire Silver team is proud to announce the final design for the first run of a locally produced, open source precious metal exchange bullion.

Purpose

The purpose of the Shire Silver project is to produce a metal bullion that is easy for anyone to produce, easy to exchange, easily recognizable, and easily distinguishable from any government-issued currency or bullion.

Denomination

The project will use two base units in parallel: the fractional troy ounce and the decimal gram. Initially, 1 ounce and 10 gram pieces will be produced. These will be followed with 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 20 gram, and 50 gram.

When demand rises, 1/8 oz, 5 oz, 5 gram, and 100 gram units may be produced. If and when there is demand for units outside that range, a copper or gold base (other precious) metals will be used, with appropriate changes to the design of the specimen.

Shape

The shape of the bullion will be a rounded square for those denominated in metric weight, and a rounded rectangle for those in troy weight. This both helps distinguish troy from metric specie and makes them even more easily distinguishable from any government-issued currency.

Complexity of Design

All text and graphics are rendered so that they can be struck with a two-level die (foreground and background only) as opposed to multi-level or sculpted dies. This provides for less expensive die manufacture and a more uniform detail quality when produced with home-based or hobbyist equipment.

Text

The text on the obverse will consist of the name "Shire Silver", descriptors of the weight and metal content, the website address, and the motto "Defending Traditional Value."

Symbols

The textual symbol to be used for Shire Silver will be the section symbol (Unicode U+00A7) intersected by two horizontal strokes. The section symbol, in addition to being a doubling of the letter "S", is associated in the western world with justice and wealth. The horizontal strokes have been used in symbols in the bullion trade for centuries as a symbol of stability and fairness.

The main graphic image consists of 12 spitzer bullets fanned out into the shape of a flower. It symbolizes the inseverable relationship between peace and a willingness to defend one's self from all aggression, regardless of the direction from which it originates. Adequate space is provided to the upper right of this image for applying a mint mark when appropriate.

Reverse

No imagery was chosen for the reverse. It was decided to use this space to emphasize that the intrinsic value of the piece derives not from the people who minted it or from the words or images on it, but rather from the metal from which it is composed. As such, the reverse depicts the chemical properties of silver as depicted on the periodic table.

Contributors to Final Design

IA, RH, RJ, KM, RM, BW.

ABOUT SHIRE SILVER

Shire Silver is a volunteer project working to produce an inflation-proof metal bullion for voluntary exchange that is easy for anyone to produce, easy to exchange, easily recognizable, and easily distinguishable from any government-issued currency or bullion. More information is available at www.shiresilver.com
-END-

Puke

Eli

Have you chosen a die supplier yet?  Did you find a source for the correct size and shape of specie?

ReverendRyan

Quote from: Eli on March 10, 2008, 02:56 PM NHFT
Have you chosen a die supplier yet?  Did you find a source for the correct size and shape of specie?

Us, and us. Next question?

Lloyd Danforth

I'm glad you went with this design.   I showed it to someone and they suggested there could be a problem with metal flow out in the corners.

Russell Kanning

I was hoping to put something in the paper .... that press release looks like the calculations for making the coins ... I don't get it.